U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 02:49 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
true story... I remember shelling out $1500 for a tiny studio in the East Village in my early 20's! I wouldn't trade that experience for anything and am so glad I did it. People just don't get it or they can't do it so they divert the story to something more in their favor. You have one Manahattan but you have 100s of suburban anywheres to experience the same thing. COL is living is high in certain places like NYC, DC, SF etc but people continue to move to these hubs not only for the jobs but for the experience and exposure to so many things that living anywhere, anywhere wouldn't provide. The best cities in the world, whether it's your cup of tea or not have a high COL whether they are geographically constrained i.e. SF, Vancouver or have room to expand i.e. Paris, Seoul, Sydney.
Yep, my brother and his then gf lived one stop away from Manhattan, I think in Carroll Gardens. They were paying 1500 for a full 1/1, expensive then, but pretty common in most of the popular cities. Anyways, it was just electric. Stores all around, great view, a cab ride to anywhere as they say.

I have the option of living wherever I want and right now I'm down to Seattle or SoCal. The main reason is we were just out east a few years ago and we really want to get that west coast experience in, but I'm tempted to say screw it, let's get something reasonable in Jersey and then visit the city when we can.

And yes, 1 NYC and 1000's of suburbs. I live in a nice suburb now that could be anytown, USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 02:54 PM

3,496 posts, read 1,921,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
we really want to get that west coast experience in...
And what would that be, or are you just wanting to find out?

Old 11-15-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
And what would that be, or are you just wanting to find out?
LOL, I have a ton of family in both. for me it's great food, scenery, variable weather, great outdoors, football at 9 am.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:13 PM

25,057 posts, read 23,942,176 times
Quote:
To be clear, I looked up Piscataway. I understand noone in their right mind would commute dailey from there to NYC.
People commute from Eastern PA to NYC.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Good for them. I won't do a commute over 30 minutes each way.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:53 PM

56,113 posts, read 54,613,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My last five years I commuted from farther than Piscataway. I knew it would be for my last five years. Actually, I thought it would be three but I stayed an extra two because I'd gotten a promotion that would boost the pension, and I wanted to see the project through that I was working on.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:54 PM

56,113 posts, read 54,613,656 times
Quote:
Good for them. I won't do a commute over 30 minutes each way.
That's almost an impossibility from New Jersey unless you live in one of the Hudson County cities bordering the river and near a PATH station, yet more than a quarter million people commute from there each day.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:08 PM

1,508 posts, read 526,283 times
Quote:
No need to debate. There's data on this. San Fran, then NYC
NYC has more expensive price per square foot, but it's debatable, because median home prices in San Fran are higher.

I guess in NYC, you can find a reasonably liveable place that is very small while in San Fran, they only make bigger apartments, and they may be cheaper per square foot but they end up costing more.

Plus, gas is more expensive in San Francisco. The BART doesn't go everywhere like the NYC subway does (mostly because San Fran is too hilly for more subways,) so you actually need to drive more often.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
NYC has more expensive price per square foot, but it's debatable, because median home prices in San Fran are higher.

I guess in NYC, you can find a reasonably liveable place that is very small while in San Fran, they only make bigger apartments, and they may be cheaper per square foot but they end up costing more.

Plus, gas is more expensive in San Francisco. The BART doesn't go everywhere like the NYC subway does (mostly because San Fran is too hilly for more subways,) so you actually need to drive more often.
Gas? Not relevant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or