U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 07:50 AM

23,096 posts, read 35,052,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Again, there is no neighborhood, no body of water separating downtown from midtown.
'SoNo' is the neighborhood separating them, and the Connector is a very clear delineator between them (as has already been stated).

https://www.myajc.com/news/state--re...A0tphsBVMSObI/

The break between them is very clear from a visual standpoint.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 08:04 AM

7,707 posts, read 4,569,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
'SoNo' is the neighborhood separating them, and the Connector is a very clear delineator between them (as has already been stated).

https://www.myajc.com/news/state--re...A0tphsBVMSObI/

The break between them is very clear from a visual standpoint.
The same could be said for the Chicago or Miami rivers delineating the berders between the Loop and River North, or Downtown Miami and Brickell. In reality, all three cities have a "Greater Downtown" that includes adjacent neighborhoods, that once were considered something other than downtown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoNo,_Atlanta

Quote:
Peachtree-Pine Shelter
SoNo (South of North Avenue) is a sub-district of downtown Atlanta, Georgia, just south of Midtown. The area was defined and named by Central Atlanta Progress in 2005 in order to better establish an identity for the area and give it a hipper image, although Atlanta natives have never given credence to the name of the neighborhood.[1] SoNo refers to the area of Downtown bounded by North Avenue on the north, Central Park Place on the east and the Downtown Connector (Interstate-75/85) on the west and south.[2]

Old 11-16-2018, 08:05 AM

3,223 posts, read 1,555,479 times
I say ... let Atlantan's have their separated CBC's instead of boasting Downtown and Midtown complement each other for ONE EMERGING Core. They like to separate them fully. Guess it depends on the thread topic too. I'd rather boast of a fully integrated Downtown emerging. Something that a Houston cannot do as their 3 are much more fully separated by miles.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I say ... let Atlantan's have their separated CBC's instead of boasting Downtown and Midtown complement each other for ONE EMERGING Core. They like to separate them fully. Guess it depends on the thread topic too. I'd rather boast of a fully integrated Downtown emerging. Something that a Houston cannot do as their 3 are much more fully separated by miles.
Thanks for the permission.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:20 AM

9,641 posts, read 6,621,119 times
Quote:
...I'm not from Atlanta. At all. And I agree that if the two were considered one, it would be better and more cohesive. But they are not.

And what of Buckhead? What would that be considered, then?

This is not the same as Downtown Miami and Brickell. Brickell is clearly an extension of the old downtown, and doesn't come off as an entirely different area.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
The same could be said for the Chicago or Miami rivers delineating the berders between the Loop and River North, or Downtown Miami and Brickell. In reality, all three cities have a "Greater Downtown" that includes adjacent neighborhoods, that once were considered something other than downtown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoNo,_Atlanta
Yes, it could, which is why those cities consider them to be separate districts.
When I lived in Miami, I don't recall anyone referring to Brickell as downtown. It is and always been considered a separate entity.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:52 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Quote:
If Midtown continues to build up Midtown as they are doing now, do not sell Houston short of downtown being connected to the TMC.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:37 AM

977 posts, read 637,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Yes, it could, which is why those cities consider them to be separate districts.
When I lived in Miami, I don't recall anyone referring to Brickell as downtown. It is and always been considered a separate entity.
People these days still don't consider Brickell as part of downtown Miami. I still have my place in Brickell and every time people ask where it is, I say downtown, they ask where and I say Brickell and they reply "that's not downtown". So even today after all the development and connectivity, people still consider Brickell as a separate entity as you said.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:46 PM

7,707 posts, read 4,569,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
People these days still don't consider Brickell as part of downtown Miami. I still have my place in Brickell and every time people ask where it is, I say downtown, they ask where and I say Brickell and they reply "that's not downtown". So even today after all the development and connectivity, people still consider Brickell as a separate entity as you said.
I understand that Brickell is historically a separate neighborhood, but itís literally the financial district. Anyone arguing that itís not downtown is being EXTREMELY pedantic.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:04 PM

977 posts, read 637,089 times
Quote:
I understand that Brickell is historically a separate neighborhood, but itís literally the financial district. Anyone arguing that itís not downtown is being EXTREMELY pedantic.
Exactly, it IS a part of downtown and it's the financial district, yet a lot of people in Miami still consider it it's own neighbourhood apart from downtown. We can all agree that this is 100% not true and it still doesn't make sense to me that people still think this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or