U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 05:15 AM

44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Donating money instead of buying stuff.

Or maybe that's just a suggestion, not a regional thing.

This seems like a skybar topic.
Skybar as in candy? Skybar as in wine accessory? Skybar as in a cool place for cocktails? What do you mean by "skybar topic?"

Hey, get this - some people do BOTH - donate money as well as buy presents for people they love. How cool is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 06:02 AM

887 posts, read 440,209 times
Duluth's Bentleyville is a local favorite. It consists of a massive light wonderland with hot chocolate and fires. At night, it makes a beautiful sight from I-35.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:52 AM

44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Down the road about 30 miles from us is a "cut your own" Christmas tree farm. I like going out there even if we don't cut our own tree, because they have hay rides, a bonfire, hot chocolate and hot cider, boughs of evergreens for the house, wreaths, etc. The weather here in December is generally crisp and can be cold, so it's very festive to stand around that bonfire with other people, watching kids get excited about finding a tree, sipping something hot, etc. I love the holiday and family feel of it even though our kids are all grown now.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:09 AM

23,067 posts, read 35,020,344 times
One of Atlanta's more peculiar Christmas traditions is riding with your kids on the Pink Pig. Four generations of my family have had this dubious privilege.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/the-r...6SzAefrJuQMrI/

Old 11-20-2018, 07:56 AM

4,228 posts, read 2,505,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Germans really know how to do Christmas! I imagine that the Christmas market in Chicago is great.
Do you know if it will be open on Thanksgiving? I can't seem to find anything about Turkey day on their website. We have a late flight out of O'Hare on Thanksgiving and nothing to do all day. If the market is open we may drive down from Milwaukee early.

UPDATE: It is open on Thanksgiving. Thanks for the reminder. We've talked about going down to the market but we never have time (hockey season).

Old 11-20-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Duluth's Bentleyville is a local favorite. It consists of a massive light wonderland with hot chocolate and fires. At night, it makes a beautiful sight from I-35.
We're coming up to Duluth for Bentleyville this year. Any idea when the skating trails will be ready?

Old 11-20-2018, 08:11 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,235,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
The German Christmas market in Chicago is amazing! We have a nice, small one in Baltimore, and there’s a good one in Philly, but the Chicago one just has this feeling and experience that is just fantastic.
In addition, there is eating in the Walnut Room under the Christmas tree at Macy's ( formerly Marshall Field's ), looking at the windows with a theme on State Street at Macy's, the annual Christmas Parade on Michigan Avenue, skating ( or just looking at the skater's) at Millenium Park, and shopping on the Mag Mile. In the suburbs, there are Christmas walks in the smaller downtowns (Hinsdale has a nice one with horse drawn carriages) that are festive and makes Christmas come alive.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:32 AM

23,067 posts, read 35,020,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
In addition, there is eating in the Walnut Room under the Christmas tree at Macy's ( formerly Marshall Field's ), looking at the windows with a theme on State Street at Macy's, the annual Christmas Parade on Michigan Avenue, skating ( or just looking at the skater's) at Millenium Park, and shopping on the Mag Mile. In the suburbs, there are Christmas walks in the smaller downtowns (Hinsdale has a nice one with horse drawn carriages) that are festive and makes Christmas come alive.
I'd be content just wandering Lincoln Park looking at the Christmas lights.
Chicago can throw down Christmas like nobody else...well, maybe NYC and London.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:46 AM

887 posts, read 440,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
We're coming up to Duluth for Bentleyville this year. Any idea when the skating trails will be ready?
I have no idea and the info is not public. I am guessing the city doesn't want to make promises if the weather doesn't cooperate. It has been cold enough for sure. Let's hope by early December. I drove to Portman's Park near where I live and they haven't even flooded the field yet.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I have no idea and the info is not public. I am guessing the city doesn't want to make promises if the weather doesn't cooperate. It has been cold enough for sure. Let's hope by early December. I drove to Portman's Park near where I live and they haven't even flooded the field yet.
Understandable. Hopefully they're ready early this year. It's been soooo cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or