U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 09:41 AM

899 posts, read 447,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Understandable. Hopefully they're ready early this year. It's been soooo cold.
12 by my house (near the Lake) this morning. I have heard -3 over the hill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 09:38 PM

6,626 posts, read 3,693,281 times
I was in Austin a few years ago and watched their Blue Santa Parade. It's a huge parade that draws a big crowd. People bring toys and gifts to give to Santa as he goes by for families who can't afford Christmas. I was impressed with the haul he was taking in. Maybe other places do that but I've not seen it before.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:01 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,106,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I was in Austin a few years ago and watched their Blue Santa Parade. It's a huge parade that draws a big crowd. People bring toys and gifts to give to Santa as he goes by for families who can't afford Christmas. I was impressed with the haul he was taking in. Maybe other places do that but I've not seen it before.
I think most cities have some sort of event to gather gifts like this (Atlanta has the Great Toy Drop, which culminates in a large party downtown), but a parade is a great idea for such a cause!

Old 11-21-2018, 07:44 AM

628 posts, read 760,494 times
Here in Indianapolis, we have the Circle of Lights, where they decorate the Soldiers and Sailors monument to resemble a tree and have a modest fireworks display.

They also the decorate the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and you can drive around it. I've never done that, but it's definitely incorporating local/regional culture.
Attached Thumbnails
Regional Christmas traditions - share your favorites!-circle-lights-fireworks.jpg  

Old 11-22-2018, 04:07 AM

13,227 posts, read 17,984,770 times
Pittsburgh has several fun events during the Christmas season. It all starts the Friday before Thanksgiving with Light-Up Night, which is when all the interior lights of all the buildings in downtown Pittsburgh are turned on to make the city "sparkle," and features assorted events throughout downtown for families and adults, including multiple concert stages, food vendors and ceremonial Christmas tree lightings. The night ends with a fireworks show.

Another interesting item is the Miniature Railroad Village at the Carnegie Science Center, which is one of the largest miniature railroad displays in North America (if not the largest), and features more than 100 animated scale models of various neighborhoods and landmarks throughout Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania.

PPG Place has two major features. Inside is the Wintergarden, which features an assortment of locally-made gingerbread houses and statues of Santa Claus from around the world. Outside is the PPG Plaza Ice Rink, which is almost twice as large as the ice rink at Rockefeller Center in New York, and has a giant Christmas tree in the middle of it. Being surrounded on all four sides by the glass facade of PPG Place gives the entire plaza an icy, crystalline look at night.

At the U.S. Steel Plaza is a very large, 64-foot-wide Nativity scene that's not only a replica of the Nativity scene at St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican, but also the only replica in the world that's authorized by the Vatican. There's also a Christmas Market at Market Square, inspired by the Christkindlmärkte in Germany, where people can buy assorted arts, crafts and gifts.

Away from downtown Pittsburgh is the Phipps Winter Flower Show & Light Garden at Phipps Conservatory, which is a walk-though display of Christmas lights and plant life that thrives in the winter.

It's de rigueur to ***** about the weather in Pittsburgh during the late fall and winter, but with all these events and activities going on from mid-November through early January, there's no reason to ***** until mid-January at the soonest, and by that point you're halfway through the period of the most inclement weather. You can find more information about Christmastime activities in downtown Pittsburgh by clicking here: --->

Old 11-22-2018, 06:23 AM

45,089 posts, read 36,303,462 times
Well, every few years my husband and I go down to the Hill Country around Austin, TX a week or so before Christmas. We stay in a B and B. This year we're staying in a cabin at a winery. We will drive out to Luckenbach, and sit under the oak trees around a fire pit with people from every corner of the globe, and listen to the evening jam sessions there, with Christmas lights flickering. Another evening we will walk around Fredericksburg and take in the lights, probably with a mug full of gluwein. I'm sure the winery will be doing things up right too, and we will spend one evening in Austin downtown, which is always lit up. I don't think we will go down to the Riverwalk in San Antonio this year but it's always gorgeous at Christmas time and not nearly as crowded as it is during the summer, which is also nice.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:45 AM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Tonight the Denver City-County Building will turn on its lights.
https://www.google.com/search?q=city...w=1920&bih=944

The zoo has "Zoo Lights".
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/lif...e-for-purchase

"Blossoms of Light" at the Denver Botanic Gardens York St.
https://gazette.com/arts-entertainme...dc0366514.html

Santa's Village at DBG Chatfield Farms
https://www.milehighonthecheap.com/s...atfield-farms/

Old 11-23-2018, 10:09 AM

4,492 posts, read 2,685,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, get this - some people do BOTH - donate money as well as buy presents for people they love. How cool is that?
My idea is that you can donate more if you skip the presents entirely...whatever the combined budget, donate that.

But keep the togetherness stuff. Christmas is about being with family and friends, with a positive attitude.

As for traditions, a lot of buildings have theme lighting these days. And tower cranes.

Old 11-23-2018, 01:47 PM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
My idea is that you can donate more if you skip the presents entirely...whatever the combined budget, donate that.

But keep the togetherness stuff. Christmas is about being with family and friends, with a positive attitude.

As for traditions, a lot of buildings have theme lighting these days. And tower cranes.
That would be do-able, but I'm not poor (not rich either) and I can afford to do both. I have for years. It's nice to do something for your loved ones as well, make them happy.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:01 PM

4,492 posts, read 2,685,055 times
Your way sounds good too, but I'm probably not explaining my way well.

What you can afford isn't relevant to the concept. Whether the combined total is $10 or $10,000, I'm saying an alternative is to donate ALL of it. For example if you donate $1,000 and buy $1,000 of presents, the alternative would be donating $2,000.

In my family it works that way for grownups, not kids. Kids still got presents. For grownups, a side benefit is that you don't have to deal with things you don't want/need, which could be half of what you get. And personally I don't like the feeling of making people pretend to like things if I guessed wrong. It's also a good way to waste less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or