U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 11:39 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I personally think the greenery in NJ is ugly, but scenic spots on the East are still considered "bland" to me except for tropical places like Florida. Midwest is uglier than the East Coast. It's super ugly with just flat plain green land, has no trees, and has absolutely no dramatic scenery.

I always loved the desert and the vibe. The West offers a lot of variety and I personally think even the greenery out West is gorgeous and nothing like the bland East/Midwest.

Yep. Thats exactly how it looks like in the UP of Michigan, Door County in Wisconsin, the Minnesota North Shore, the Driftless in Iowa, the Ozarks in Missouri, the Badlands of the Dakotas... all flat with no trees and no dramatic scenery

Stick to trash talking New Jersey, kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 11:43 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
^^Deciduous trees are boring. Too whitebread, not to mention drab during winter.

Evergreen trees are more interesting, especially the broadleaf styles seen in the tropics/subtropics.

Nah. I love the look of trees in winter, especially coated with a thick layer of snow. I love the trees where I live because we have both deciduous and evergreen a plenty. Plus we have birches which have cool ass bark and catalpas which have the biggest leaves I've ever seen from a deciduous tree. Not to mention the colours in spring and fall.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:07 PM

1,505 posts, read 523,192 times
Quote:
Based on what you're saying, I guess the wildfires in California spread and occur mainly due to the enormous amount of woods it has. The Southwest is a true desert with more blank land and just a bunch of shrubs and cacti and there are less woodsy patches for fires to spread.
Fellow Californian here. Yes and no. Huge fires can still spread through the Mediterranean style chaparral, or scrublands, of Southern California. The real factor behind the fires is the bone dry summers (most summers go by without a drop of rain), followed by fierce, hot, very dry winds during the autumn that arrive before the first rains of the season. When your hot season is your dry season, fire hazards rise dramatically.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:27 PM

18,507 posts, read 9,567,372 times
Quote:
I always dreamed of living in the West, but if you've seen my username before, you've probably heard me say before that I dreamed of the western Pacific Northwest particularly. But now, something is making me excited about living in a desert. The greenery in the PNW and the West in general is gorgeous and it looks completely different than the ugly/basic looking greenery of the East. The entire West is dramatic looking in general and we are blessed to have it.

Pros of living in greenery:
1. Great for growing plants, crops, etc.
2. Less lack of water.
3. One thing I love about having greenery is the amount of trees. You can hike in trees and hide in the woods.
4. The greenery of the PNW is absolutely wonderful, but there are some parts that may look a bit East Coasty.

Cons of living in greenery:
1. Obviously you need humidity to cause greenery to even grow. Pacific Northwest is damp, cloudy, and rainy, which is why it is green. I thought I would love this kind of weather, but I am kind of tired of the gloomy winter days we have here on the East (NJ), and something is making me excited about living in the desert with the beautiful sunshine. Here in NJ, we do get a lot of sunny days in the winter, and I like days like that.
2. Too much lawn work. Grass grows constantly, which means constantly have to mow a lawn. Not a big fan having a huge green lawn and having to keep it neat. Green lawns are overrated in my opinion

Pros of living in deserts:
1. Less lawn work. Grass may not grow as fast, or you may not have grass at all. You can own a big piece of land do less to it.
2. Less dampness/humidity is better!
3. Something about the desert sounds like the scenery could be more dramatic!
4. Colorfulness in the scenery
5. More sunshine
6. Less chances of precipitation like snow, but it still does snow badly in some desert climates.

Cons of living in deserts:
1. Can't grow plants and crops!
2. Hot desert climates are dangerous and brutal.
3. Too Perfect desert climates like suburban parts of AZ (Sedona, Prescott, etc) attract too many retirees.
4. Sandstorms.
5. Lack of water.
6. Less woodsy areas to "hide" in.

In the West, is a desert better than the greenery? Deserts are making me excited and I am watching driving timelapse videos on the internet and I seem to gravitate towards deserts.
Yep, I've lived in lush green and desert and in between. If I live in one, I miss the other. Ideal I think would be summer in a lush area that's not too hot (Seattle or Northern Idaho for instance) and winter in Phoenix. Another alternative would be to live in an area that gets 25-30" of annual rain so you get some aspects of each.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:53 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,860,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You're not telling me specifically anything I don't already know. I grew up and lived in the desert SW almost my entire life. I've been there quite a bit longer than you have and have seen every national park in the area. I live at an elevation of 3000 ft. It's beautiful yes. It's also dry for most of the year sometimes going 8 months without rain. With enough winter rain, the wild flowers grow and bloom and the brown turns to green with lovely colors. Then by May, it's mostly brown again.
Like you, some people want a change of scenery. For myself, that happens east of the Rockies. There's no right or wrong answer, it's personal choice.
3,000ft? I thought you lived in the San Gabriel Valley?....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or