U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2018, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Floribama
15,059 posts, read 31,440,324 times
Reputation: 13869

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Your statement is pretty much based on opinion and regional stereotypes/biases rather than facts. If you have some studies to back up that the South specifically arrests innocent black citizens and gets harsher sentences compared to white citizens in a 100% apples-to-apples comparison (that's the key), it'd be nice if you would post these. Southern states have a disproportionate percentage of black people that other regions, so there will naturally be a higher rate of incarceration than other parts of the nation. Though prison reform is needed in some areas of the system, an individual can only be "reformed" if one chooses to do what it takes. The worse thing they can do to themselves is play victim. That will only keep the cycle going. Here are some facts:

Dr. Richard Johnson, Criminologist, University of Toledo; 2012 American Crime Study:
***Black males are only 6.5% of the population, but commit 52% of all murders.
***In 2014, there were more than 6,000 black-on-black murders, more than white-on-white and hispanic-on-hispanic murders combined.

U.S. Department of Justice 2015:
***In Americaís 75 largest counties in 2009, blacks constituted 62 percent of all robbery defendants, 57 percent of all murder defendants, 45 percent of all assault defendantsóbut are only 15 percent of the population.
***Black males between 14-17 commit murder at 10X the rate of white and hispanic teen males combined.
***Black males of all age groups murder at a rate 8X that of white and hispanic males combined.

In a Brookings Institute (which is a left-leaning organization) study in 2013:
It was found that the #1 issue hurting the black community is the 75% out-of-wedlock birth rate. If the rate was that high within any racial group, they would suffer the same harmful effects. The study also concluded that if any person, regardless of race, did 3 things (1. Not have a child outside of wedlock, 2. Graduate from high school, 3. Get a job), 98% would NOT be at or below the poverty line and 75% would be in the middle class.

I know these stats will flip a lot of C-Ders out because it goes against a very popular narrative you cling onto for dear life. Are you not concerned with the 75% out-of-wedlock births within the black community that robs children of a father influence they desperately need for guidance? What about the black-on-black crime that law abiding black citizens have to deal with on a daily basis? You turn a blind eye towards the very issues that would transform these communities, so you're part of the problem. So redirecting your own personal bigotry on a certain region with no bases at all helps no one. Until you and the like-minded can take a totally honest view of these facts, the very communities and citizens you proclaim to care so much about will continue to suffer.
This is it exactly. When you live in one of those southern states and watch the news every night itís not hard to understand why the prisons look the way they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2018, 07:26 AM
 
56,737 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Reputation: 12549
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Your statement is pretty much based on opinion and regional stereotypes/biases rather than facts. If you have some studies to back up that the South specifically arrests innocent black citizens and gets harsher sentences compared to white citizens in a 100% apples-to-apples comparison (that's the key), it'd be nice if you would post these. Southern states have a disproportionate percentage of black people that other regions, so there will naturally be a higher rate of incarceration than other parts of the nation. Though prison reform is needed in some areas of the system, an individual can only be "reformed" if one chooses to do what it takes. The worse thing they can do to themselves is play victim. That will only keep the cycle going. Here are some facts:

Dr. Richard Johnson, Criminologist, University of Toledo; 2012 American Crime Study:
***Black males are only 6.5% of the population, but commit 52% of all murders.
***In 2014, there were more than 6,000 black-on-black murders, more than white-on-white and hispanic-on-hispanic murders combined.

U.S. Department of Justice 2015:
***In America’s 75 largest counties in 2009, blacks constituted 62 percent of all robbery defendants, 57 percent of all murder defendants, 45 percent of all assault defendants—but are only 15 percent of the population.
***Black males between 14-17 commit murder at 10X the rate of white and hispanic teen males combined.
***Black males of all age groups murder at a rate 8X that of white and hispanic males combined.

In a Brookings Institute (which is a left-leaning organization) study in 2013:
It was found that the #1 issue hurting the black community is the 75% out-of-wedlock birth rate. If the rate was that high within any racial group, they would suffer the same harmful effects. The study also concluded that if any person, regardless of race, did 3 things (1. Not have a child outside of wedlock, 2. Graduate from high school, 3. Get a job), 98% would NOT be at or below the poverty line and 75% would be in the middle class.

I know these stats will flip a lot of C-Ders out because it goes against a very popular narrative you cling onto for dear life. Are you not concerned with the 75% out-of-wedlock births within the black community that robs children of a father influence they desperately need for guidance? What about the black-on-black crime that law abiding black citizens have to deal with on a daily basis? You turn a blind eye towards the very issues that would transform these communities, so you're part of the problem. So redirecting your own personal bigotry on a certain region with no bases at all helps no one. Until you and the like-minded can take a totally honest view of these facts, the very communities and citizens you proclaim to care so much about will continue to suffer.
To offer more information, "black on black" violent crime is down 78% from 1994 to 2015(most violent crime is intraracial regardless of race). Source: https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=6106

I also think the aspect of non violent offenses is what people generally refer to in regards to disparities. This in turn plays an aspect into family structure and this is very interesting given the more concern for the opioid epidemic, which hits different demographics than the crack and previous heroin epidemics did. The Drug War, Mass Incarceration and Race (English/Spanish) | Drug Policy Alliance

What makes family structure somewhat "tricky" is that people cohabitate more now versus getting legally married as well and in turn could be an aspect that isn't tracked.

Then, if you get into the fact that certain groups get married more in comparison to others and then looking at the divorce rate, family structure, in general has become a national issue. https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/12/15983/

So, in closing, there is also just a smaller margin of error for some groups versus others that we also should be honest about when it comes to certain aspects. Meaning, some groups just can do what others can and think they are going to be successful.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-19-2018 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2018, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Calera, AL
1,166 posts, read 1,448,575 times
Reputation: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To offer more information, "black on black" violent crime is down 78% from 1994 to 2015(most violent crime is intraracial regardless of race). Source: https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=6106

I also think the aspect of non violent offenses is what people generally refer to in regards to disparities. This in turn plays an aspect into family structure and this is very interesting given the more concern for the opioid epidemic, which hits different demographics than the crack and previous heroin epidemics did. The Drug War, Mass Incarceration and Race (English/Spanish) | Drug Policy Alliance

What makes family structure somewhat "tricky" is that people cohabitate more now versus getting legally married as well and in turn could be an aspect that isn't tracked.

Then, if you get into the fact that certain groups get married more in comparison to others and then looking at the divorce rate, family structure, in general has become a national issue. https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/12/15983/

So, in closing, there is also just a smaller margin of error for some groups versus others that we also should be honest about when it comes to certain aspects. Meaning, some groups just can do what others can and think they are going to be successful.

Crime stats today are wildly different than they were say, ca. 1950. Yes, there are some huge racial disparities in crime statistics, but that's a by-product of certain socioeconomic laws of a long-gone era. Sundown ordinances (IMHO, the absolute worst aspect of Jim Crow) are the very reason why there's such a stark contrast between inner-city and suburban life. The laws are gone, but the adverse effects (i.e. poverty) still loom large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2018, 12:14 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA>Tijuana, BC>San Antonio, TX
4,185 posts, read 4,170,980 times
Reputation: 3475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
The raw numbers alone are virtually unfathomable. :\
It looks like it includes adults, both convicted and pending convictions. So I misspoke, these numbers include county jails and state prisons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2018, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Maryland
4,269 posts, read 5,493,345 times
Reputation: 4600
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
It looks like it includes adults, both convicted and pending convictions. So I misspoke, these numbers include county jails and state prisons.
Sorry, I was more commenting on how depressing the high numbers are in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2018, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
3,754 posts, read 3,860,979 times
Reputation: 3568
Southern states also have higher violent crime/homicide rates, etc. Its not just because more people are getting jailed in the south. People there actually commit more crimes.
Also, states with more % of Asians would have less people in jail, as Asians commit less crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2018, 01:26 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA>Tijuana, BC>San Antonio, TX
4,185 posts, read 4,170,980 times
Reputation: 3475
On the topic of race, Oklahoma, who has the highest percentage of prisoners, is only 4% black and about 9% Hispanic as a state and 72% white. I wonder what the ethnic/racial make up of its prison's are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2018, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,886 posts, read 6,209,806 times
Reputation: 6187
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
On the topic of race, Oklahoma, who has the highest percentage of prisoners, is only 4% black and about 9% Hispanic as a state and 72% white. I wonder what the ethnic/racial make up of its prison's are.
Oklahoma is approximately 7.5% black. The prison population hovers around 40% black give or take.

1 in 15 African American males in Oklahoma are incarcerated at present which is the highest in the country.

Overall though, Oklahoma's prison population is high due to the fact that they will still lock you up for simple possession and the amount of drugs you have to possess to get an "intent to distribute" is pretty small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2018, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Calera, AL
1,166 posts, read 1,448,575 times
Reputation: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Southern states also have higher violent crime/homicide rates, etc. Its not just because more people are getting jailed in the south. People there actually commit more crimes.
Also, states with more % of Asians would have less people in jail, as Asians commit less crimes.

Again, demographics don't tell the whole story. Black crime rate prior to say, 1950 or 1960 was much lower than what it is today. Black-on-black and black-on-white crime weren't entirely unheard of before the Civil Rights Movement (though BoW crime was certainly more sensationalized in those days), but it was much rarer prior to the urbanization of the black community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2018, 03:18 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA>Tijuana, BC>San Antonio, TX
4,185 posts, read 4,170,980 times
Reputation: 3475
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Oklahoma is approximately 7.5% black. The prison population hovers around 40% black give or take.

1 in 15 African American males in Oklahoma are incarcerated at present which is the highest in the country.

Overall though, Oklahoma's prison population is high due to the fact that they will still lock you up for simple possession and the amount of drugs you have to possess to get an "intent to distribute" is pretty small.
This is an insane statistic, oh wow. I will have to look this up myself, but thank you all for responding, I am learning alot in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top