U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2018, 12:49 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA>Tijuana, BC>San Antonio, TX
4,172 posts, read 4,151,544 times
Reputation: 3469

Advertisements

**Source to above stats- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...pervision_rate

I thought this was interesting, below are the top ten largest states by population ranked 1-10. Below that are States with the largest prison populations ranked 1-10. The third table shows the the top 10 states ranked by proportion of its population in prison.

Rank State 2017 Population by State
1 *California 39,536,653
2 *Texas 28,304,596
3 *Florida 20,984,400
4 *New York 19,849,399
5 *Pennsylvania 12,805,537
6 *Illinois 12,802,023
7 *Ohio 11,658,609
8 *Georgia 10,429,379
9 *North Carolina 10,273,419
10 Michigan 9,962,311

Inmates by State Rank
State "2017 Inmates in State Prison"
1 *Texas 218,500
2 *California 202,700
3 *Florida 149,800
4 *Georgia 91,400
5 *Pennsylvania 82,400
6 *New York 74,400
7 *Ohio 71,000
8 *Illinois 60,800
9 *Virginia 57,500
10 Michigan 56,500

Rank State "2017 Percent of Population in State Prison"
1 *Oklahoma 0.99%
2 *Louisiana 0.97%
3 *Mississippi 0.96%
4 *Georgia 0.88%
5 *Alabama 0.84%
6 *Arkansas 0.80%
7 *Arizona 0.78%
8 *Kentucky 0.78%
9 *Texas 0.77%
10 Missouri 0.72%


For the longest time, California was ranked #1 with regard to overall prison population, at one time it was a very strict state with regard to laws (IE 3 Strikes Laws). Since about 2012, California has gone to great lengths to reduce its overcrowded state prison population by releasing non-violent/non-sexual offenders back to their local county's jurisdiction and has reduced many drugs crimes from felonies to misdemeanors. There is even talks that many "3 strikers" will now be released from prisons. Since 2012, Texas has had the honor of being the state with the largest prison population.

The third table is also very interesting, Southern states have a high proportion of people in prisons, I wonder why this is...?

Your thoughts on the stats in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2018, 02:05 PM
 
Location: SoCal
3,767 posts, read 2,551,535 times
Reputation: 2978
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
**Source to above stats- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...pervision_rate

I thought this was interesting, below are the top ten largest states by population ranked 1-10. Below that are States with the largest prison populations ranked 1-10. The third table shows the the top 10 states ranked by proportion of its population in prison.

Rank State 2017 Population by State
1 *California 39,536,653
2 *Texas 28,304,596
3 *Florida 20,984,400
4 *New York 19,849,399
5 *Pennsylvania 12,805,537
6 *Illinois 12,802,023
7 *Ohio 11,658,609
8 *Georgia 10,429,379
9 *North Carolina 10,273,419
10 Michigan 9,962,311

Inmates by State Rank
State "2017 Inmates in State Prison"
1 *Texas 218,500
2 *California 202,700
3 *Florida 149,800
4 *Georgia 91,400
5 *Pennsylvania 82,400
6 *New York 74,400
7 *Ohio 71,000
8 *Illinois 60,800
9 *Virginia 57,500
10 Michigan 56,500

Rank State "2017 Percent of Population in State Prison"
1 *Oklahoma 0.99%
2 *Louisiana 0.97%
3 *Mississippi 0.96%
4 *Georgia 0.88%
5 *Alabama 0.84%
6 *Arkansas 0.80%
7 *Arizona 0.78%
8 *Kentucky 0.78%
9 *Texas 0.77%
10 Missouri 0.72%


For the longest time, California was ranked #1 with regard to overall prison population, at one time it was a very strict state with regard to laws (IE 3 Strikes Laws). Since about 2012, California has gone to great lengths to reduce its overcrowded state prison population by releasing non-violent/non-sexual offenders back to their local county's jurisdiction and has reduced many drugs crimes from felonies to misdemeanors. There is even talks that many "3 strikers" will now be released from prisons. Since 2012, Texas has had the honor of being the state with the largest prison population.

The third table is also very interesting, Southern states have a high proportion of people in prisons, I wonder why this is...?

Your thoughts on the stats in general.
In the southern states Prison is an industry just like an other industry they don't want to rehabilitate prisoners they want to keep them in so the prison business profits.

A Lot of it has to do with after slavery prison became the new thing many Blacks were sent to prison for minor crimes, and used as cheap or free labour it's crazy to see how this still has an effect on these states. What's even more appalling is Ca has 12 million more people and less prisoners that's striking!

Trump just threw his support around prison reform, and many republicans have as well with almost all democrats, but there are a few who completely oppose this as they are from southern states for the most part. They don't want rehabilitation they want to rank in profits from the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 02:22 PM
 
56,502 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Reputation: 12480
Read the 13th amendment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Debatable
423 posts, read 185,093 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
In the southern states Prison is an industry just like an other industry they don't want to rehabilitate prisoners they want to keep them in so the prison business profits.

A Lot of it has to do with after slavery prison became the new thing many Blacks were sent to prison for minor crimes, and used as cheap or free labour it's crazy to see how this still has an effect on these states. What's even more appalling is Ca has 12 million more people and less prisoners that's striking!

Trump just threw his support around prison reform, and many republicans have as well with almost all democrats, but there are a few who completely oppose this as they are from southern states for the most part. They don't want rehabilitation they want to rank in profits from the state.
Question though: why are prison systems only an industry in southern states? Are prison systems not privatized in Northern states as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 03:26 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA>Tijuana, BC>San Antonio, TX
4,172 posts, read 4,151,544 times
Reputation: 3469
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
What's even more appalling is Ca has 12 million more people and less prisoners that's striking!
It is very surprising how many less prisoners CA has than TX these days, good for CA for bucking the trend. It's funny when people say that "Texans have more liberty than those in that nanny state of California", yes there are more laws on the books in CA but I've always felt that Texas is way over policed compared to CA. My feeling is that the cops in Texas will pull you over and entrap you for any little reason.

I've said this in another thread, the flip side of inmate reduction is that it likely has been a major factor in California's homeless crisis which is found in every major metro, along with several other factors including high COL. There are no supporting stats that I can find to prove this, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
540 posts, read 311,957 times
Reputation: 818
Interesting to me that 1 out of 100 people in Oklahoma is in jail, seems higher than I would have expected.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic about reform, but I thought that a reasonable penal labor system would be to have prisoners work menial tasks in road construction, lumbering, fisheries, farming, etc. Then upon early release, would be employed by the same industries at minimum wage, and required to work there for some period of time.

From https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/state-execution-rates these stats show population and executions since 1976 to Feb 2015 and executions per capita (x10000)

1. Oklahoma 3,751,351 112 0.299
2. Texas 25,145,561 521 0.207
3. Delaware 897,934 16 0.178
4. Virginia 8,001,024 110 0.137
5. Missouri 5,988,927 81 0.135
6. Alabama 4,779,736 56 0.117
7. South Carolina 4,625,364 43 0.093
8. Arkansas 2,915,918 27 0.093
9. Mississippi 2,967,297 21 0.071
10. Louisiana 4,533,372 28 0.062

Boy, the south's got the corner on executions also. Not much of a surprise I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 07:31 PM
 
Location: SoCal
3,767 posts, read 2,551,535 times
Reputation: 2978
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
Question though: why are prison systems only an industry in southern states? Are prison systems not privatized in Northern states as well?
They are, but the states have more diverse economies that have gotten used to the prison system for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 07:34 PM
 
Location: SoCal
3,767 posts, read 2,551,535 times
Reputation: 2978
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
It is very surprising how many less prisoners CA has than TX these days, good for CA for bucking the trend. It's funny when people say that "Texans have more liberty than those in that nanny state of California", yes there are more laws on the books in CA but I've always felt that Texas is way over policed compared to CA. My feeling is that the cops in Texas will pull you over and entrap you for any little reason.

I've said this in another thread, the flip side of inmate reduction is that it likely has been a major factor in California's homeless crisis which is found in every major metro, along with several other factors including high COL. There are no supporting stats that I can find to prove this, however.
This was a rather recent phenomena so I doubt it would have already had a massive effect on crimes. Not to mention weed is legal here, not sure what would happen to you in the south if you got caught with something as simple as weed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 08:23 PM
 
3,533 posts, read 1,513,328 times
Reputation: 2981
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
In the southern states Prison is an industry just like an other industry they don't want to rehabilitate prisoners they want to keep them in so the prison business profits.

A Lot of it has to do with after slavery prison became the new thing many Blacks were sent to prison for minor crimes, and used as cheap or free labour it's crazy to see how this still has an effect on these states. What's even more appalling is Ca has 12 million more people and less prisoners that's striking!

Trump just threw his support around prison reform, and many republicans have as well with almost all democrats, but there are a few who completely oppose this as they are from southern states for the most part. They don't want rehabilitation they want to rank in profits from the state.
Your statement is pretty much based on opinion and regional stereotypes/biases rather than facts. If you have some studies to back up that the South specifically arrests innocent black citizens and gets harsher sentences compared to white citizens in a 100% apples-to-apples comparison (that's the key), it'd be nice if you would post these. Southern states have a disproportionate percentage of black people that other regions, so there will naturally be a higher rate of incarceration than other parts of the nation. Though prison reform is needed in some areas of the system, an individual can only be "reformed" if one chooses to do what it takes. The worse thing they can do to themselves is play victim. That will only keep the cycle going. Here are some facts:

Dr. Richard Johnson, Criminologist, University of Toledo; 2012 American Crime Study:
***Black males are only 6.5% of the population, but commit 52% of all murders.
***In 2014, there were more than 6,000 black-on-black murders, more than white-on-white and hispanic-on-hispanic murders combined.

U.S. Department of Justice 2015:
***In America’s 75 largest counties in 2009, blacks constituted 62 percent of all robbery defendants, 57 percent of all murder defendants, 45 percent of all assault defendants—but are only 15 percent of the population.
***Black males between 14-17 commit murder at 10X the rate of white and hispanic teen males combined.
***Black males of all age groups murder at a rate 8X that of white and hispanic males combined.

In a Brookings Institute (which is a left-leaning organization) study in 2013:
It was found that the #1 issue hurting the black community is the 75% out-of-wedlock birth rate. If the rate was that high within any racial group, they would suffer the same harmful effects. The study also concluded that if any person, regardless of race, did 3 things (1. Not have a child outside of wedlock, 2. Graduate from high school, 3. Get a job), 98% would NOT be at or below the poverty line and 75% would be in the middle class.

I know these stats will flip a lot of C-Ders out because it goes against a very popular narrative you cling onto for dear life. Are you not concerned with the 75% out-of-wedlock births within the black community that robs children of a father influence they desperately need for guidance? What about the black-on-black crime that law abiding black citizens have to deal with on a daily basis? You turn a blind eye towards the very issues that would transform these communities, so you're part of the problem. So redirecting your own personal bigotry on a certain region with no bases at all helps no one. Until you and the like-minded can take a totally honest view of these facts, the very communities and citizens you proclaim to care so much about will continue to suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2018, 05:20 AM
 
Location: Maryland
4,266 posts, read 5,471,909 times
Reputation: 4591
The raw numbers alone are virtually unfathomable. :\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top