Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 10:17 PM

680 posts, read 534,542 times

Advertisements

What are the best cities to live in?(With population under 100k, in southeast). Currently considering Greenville, SC due to wife's family moving there. A place with below average crime, taxes, reasonable commutes and cost of living. I'd like to read peoples opinions and personal experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 06:00 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Most cities in the Southeast US feature a number of neighborhoods with below average crime so that's not really a great way to narrow options. If considering lower taxes, reasonable commutes and cost of living in cities with a population under 100K I would suggest beyond Greenville SC places like Spartanburg SC, Rock Hill SC, Huntersville NC, Concord NC, Johns Creek GA and Smyrna GA.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:09 AM

730 posts, read 814,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
What are the best cities to live in?(With population under 100k, in southeast). Currently considering Greenville, SC due to wife's family moving there. A place with below average crime, taxes, reasonable commutes and cost of living. I'd like to read peoples opinions and personal experiences.
Tennessee and Florida have the lowest tax burdens in the Southeast. I'm not a fan of Florida, so I'll recommend, in order of preference:

Cookeville, Tennessee
Maryville, Tennessee
Cleveland, Tennessee

Old 11-19-2018, 07:11 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
Be advised that Greenville's municipal population is artificially small as the city has chosen not to annex many surrounding properties, which is a bit more cumbersome in SC compared to other states. In reality, it is a city of 250-300K or so with an even larger metropolitan population. The advantages you cite regarding crime, taxes, etc. do exist, but I wanted you to be aware that it's not exactly a small, quaint town.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Tennessee and Florida have the [URL="https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494/"]lowest tax burdens in the Southeast[/URL]. I'm not a fan of Florida, so I'll recommend, in order of preference:

Cookeville, Tennessee
Maryville, Tennessee
Cleveland, Tennessee
I'm not a fan of FL either. I own a Honda and those are almost guaranteed to get stolen or vandalized in FL. TN is nice, we've rented cabins many times in the smokies.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Be advised that Greenville's municipal population is artificially small as the city has chosen not to annex many surrounding properties, which is a bit more cumbersome in SC compared to other states. In reality, it is a city of 250-300K or so with an even larger metropolitan population. The advantages you cite regarding crime, taxes, etc. do exist, but I wanted you to be aware that it's not exactly a small, quaint town.
Thanks didn't realize that. We really liked downtown Greenville. It certainly didn't have a small town vibe. There was a lot of traffic so it felt like a larger city, traffic was tolerable though.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:57 AM

3,161 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Most cities in the Southeast US feature a number of neighborhoods with below average crime so that's not really a great way to narrow options. If considering lower taxes, reasonable commutes and cost of living in cities with a population under 100K I would suggest beyond Greenville SC places like Spartanburg SC, Rock Hill SC, Huntersville NC, Concord NC, Johns Creek GA and Smyrna GA.
Johns Creek and Smyrna are bustling suburbs of Atlanta. Unless one works in the same area, commutes tend to be pretty arduous with heavy traffic and limited highway options. Both have many nice and safe neighborhoods, with Johns Creek being more consistently affluent and Smyrna having a lot of variation. Housing values are not cheap these days in the desirable communities in the inner to middle ring suburbs north of Atlanta such as these places.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:19 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Maybe check out Huntsville, although the population is higher than 100k. If you’re truly wanting to stay under 100k then Dothan/Enterprise could be an option.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:23 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Fairhope, AL
Oxford, MS
Fernandina Beach, FL
St. Simons Island, GA
Bluffton, SC
Hendersonville, NC
Boone, NC
Dahlonega, GA
Madison, GA
Thomasville, GA
New Bern, NC
Aiken, SC

Old 11-20-2018, 08:34 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Fairhope, AL
Oxford, MS
Fernandina Beach, FL
St. Simons Island, GA
Bluffton, SC
Hendersonville, NC
Boone, NC
Dahlonega, GA
Madison, GA
Thomasville, GA
New Bern, NC
Aiken, SC
I second this. If you want a truly small town that's not in a metro area, these are so pretty good choices. Great list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.