U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2018, 01:09 PM

428 posts, read 131,165 times

Advertisements

Memorial Day - Labor Day is the typical window for public outdoor pools here (and they're fairly common).

You can probably swim outdoors in lakes and rivers comfortably through September most years, it's just that once kids go back to school there isn't the demand to keep public pools open.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 01:14 PM

991 posts, read 501,727 times
Might be similar depending on the year. We have a backyard pool, heated, with an auto cover. We can swim year round but I prefer not to. My kids totally will if it’s over 60. This weekend was great, they’ve been in on Christmas, just depends on the year.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:02 PM

4,948 posts, read 7,610,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
In California, you have a cold current always coming down from Alaska, so the ocean is too cold to swim in without a wet suit. Southern California has a mild climate, but the ocean is cold because of that current.
True, but we do get heat waves in the currents here in Southern California occasionally. This summer the ocean temperature was the warmest ever recorded and was very comfortable for weeks. It took me several years to get used to the typical ocean temperature here but I actually like it - feels invigorating and I get used to it after a couple of minutes even down to 68º or so. Anything above 75º I find uncomfortable. Getting into mid 80ºs water in Florida when it's 90 something outside and dripping with humidity is pretty miserable to me, but I am an outlier in that regard.

I used to (should get back into it) regularly rough water swim in La Jolla Cove (Pacific), never in a wet suit and would do it down to about 64º. My body would uncontrollably shiver for a half hour or so afterwards trying to heat itself up- enough so that people around me would be concerned even as the shivering wasn't really uncomfortable to me- but that was pushing it.

That being said it's too cold for the Ocean now but still warm enough to hit the local municipal pool around here- went this past weekend and the neighborhood pool closes for the season from February 18 to April 14, so, a very limited off season.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:25 PM

1,508 posts, read 528,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
True, but we do get heat waves in the currents here in Southern California occasionally. This summer the ocean temperature was the warmest ever recorded and was very comfortable for weeks. It took me several years to get used to the typical ocean temperature here but I actually like it - feels invigorating and I get used to it after a couple of minutes even down to 68º or so. Anything above 75º I find uncomfortable. Getting into mid 80ºs water in Florida when it's 90 something outside and dripping with humidity is pretty miserable to me, but I am an outlier in that regard.

I used to (should get back into it) regularly rough water swim in La Jolla Cove (Pacific), never in a wet suit and would do it down to about 64º. My body would uncontrollably shiver for a half hour or so afterwards trying to heat itself up- enough so that people around me would be concerned even as the shivering wasn't really uncomfortable to me- but that was pushing it.

That being said it's too cold for the Ocean now but still warm enough to hit the local municipal pool around here- went this past weekend and the neighborhood pool closes for the season from February 18 to April 14, so, a very limited off season.
Wow! 68 degrees as comfortable! I went to Del Mar when the water was 74 degrees and that still felt cold!

Old 11-27-2018, 05:30 PM

4,948 posts, read 7,610,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Wow! 68 degrees as comfortable! I went to Del Mar when the water was 74 degrees and that still felt cold!
Well, I should say 68º I'll still get in, shout out at the briskness and tolerate it for a few minutes. 70º and above I'm good to go.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:20 PM

2,871 posts, read 1,267,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
There used to be public swimming areas in the finger lakes of NY, but now since the land is pretty much all privately owned by snooty rich people and the parks have generally banned swimming, that's total history.

Granted, I live at the southern ends. It could be a different story way up north where the land is flatter and there are more large beaches.

And of course thanks to the "brilliance" of Cornell, Cayuga lake is always suffering some new invasion of something.
Yes, unfortunately that has changed since I lived up there.

There are public beaches on the northern ends of the lakes; the best one is Clift but you have to pay if you are not a resident. It's pretty decent and well-maintained anyhow...and allows swimming.

Ah yes, don't even get me started on the 'brilliance' of Cornell...

Old 11-28-2018, 09:46 PM

17,730 posts, read 4,100,476 times
Late August/Early September

Old 11-28-2018, 09:49 PM

22,180 posts, read 23,711,901 times
I’m curious as to what are the things Cornell has done to the lakes.

In NYC, I went swimming in the Atlantic in August this year and it felt great. I’m sure I’ve swam in September before, but can’t recall if I’ve ever done so in October.

I’ve always been curious about Great Lake beaches and swimming.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:26 AM

4,813 posts, read 5,007,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post

I think also if you grown-up on the California coast and actually surf or swim the ocean from when you are little I find the SoCal coast water temp near perfect. Like you said it is very invigorating. The gulf water is too hot like bath water I hate that. My favorite ocean temp is Hawaii and SoCal for surfing.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:29 AM

4,813 posts, read 5,007,902 times
I curious about the Jersey Shore as I'll be visiting next year for an extended stay. A good friend of mine moved there from the Baaaah Areaaah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.