Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 10:42 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,258,677 times

Advertisements

For this season, we started rafting and swimming in Sacramento's American River, Nimbus Lake and Folsom Lake in early May and ended in late October. Water skied Sacramento's Folsom Lake and Sacramento River beginning in mid May and ended the season late October.

I'll be taking the canoe out on the American River this winter in Sacramento depending on how high and fast the water is running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 11:42 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I think also if you grown-up on the California coast and actually surf or swim the ocean from when you are little I find the SoCal coast water temp near perfect. Like you said it is very invigorating. The gulf water is too hot like bath water I hate that. My favorite ocean temp is Hawaii and SoCal for surfing.
No, the Gulf is not hot like bathwater. I went to Biloxi when the water was 85 degrees, and it still felt cool and refreshing.

Just not chilly like SoCal when the water temperature is only 72 degrees, even in August.

And yes, I grew up in coastal SoCal.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:57 AM

jester, I grew up in San Diego and have been surfing my whole life....lately not so much too old. The water is just fine in SoCal, just because you can't handle it doesn't mean others don't love it.

When I was growing up in San Diego there was always that one kid out of the bunch who said the water was too cold, the waves were too big, so sad.

The Gulf is one Giant Humid Toxic Dirty Bath waiting for the next Hurricane.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:42 PM

58 posts, read 99,117 times
I went swimming in Lake Michigan north of Milwaukee on 10/27. It was rainy and 49 degrees. Water temp was a little bit warmer. It would probably be hazardous to attempt swimming now.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:57 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
jester, I grew up in San Diego and have been surfing my whole life....lately not so much too old. The water is just fine in SoCal, just because you can't handle it doesn't mean others don't love it.

When I was growing up in San Diego there was always that one kid out of the bunch who said the water was too cold, the waves were too big, so sad.
Oh, well...I grew up and still live in Orange County and except for hot summer afternoons I've always worn a wetsuit when out surfing or bodyboarding. Even on summer mornings, it gets cold out there waiting for a set. And by looking around I can see I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Just google images of "surfing at Huntington Beach."

Old 12-01-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Oh, well...I grew up and still live in Orange County and except for hot summer afternoons I've always worn a wetsuit when out surfing or bodyboarding. Even on summer mornings, it gets cold out there waiting for a set. And by looking around I can see I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Just google images of "surfing at Huntington Beach."
I hear ya, I wear/wore a (4/3 wetsuit) in late spring, early summer and late fall. You don't really need a wet suit in San Diego in Aug/Sept.

I like Cali Coast water because it is invigorating with healthy big surf way, much better than the Gulf.

These days, I much prefer Sacramento's American River and Folsom Lake water more than Calif Coast water.

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-01-2018 at 03:42 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 08:33 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Northeast Ohio is too cold for outdoor swimming. There used to be some private outdoor swimming pools, but most or all of them have closed. The public outdoor swimming pools exist only because they are subsidized.
Cleveland has a very nice beach. People have even been known to surf there.

https://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/...dgewater-beach

Old 12-02-2018, 09:02 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,296,053 times
Quote:
I curious about the Jersey Shore as I'll be visiting next year for an extended stay. A good friend of mine moved there from the Baaaah Areaaah.
The ocean water at the Jersey Shore usually reaches peak warmth in late August (upper 70s, near 80 degrees). By mid September it starts cooling pretty quickly, but I’ve gone swimming in 68 degree water in early October.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:50 AM

4,138 posts, read 3,042,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Cleveland has a very nice beach. People have even been known to surf there.

https://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/...dgewater-beach
There's No Surf in Cleveland (Euclid Beach Band):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2eqZ3TTGuA

Old 12-02-2018, 01:43 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
I curious about the Jersey Shore as I'll be visiting next year for an extended stay. A good friend of mine moved there from the Baaaah Areaaah.
Where exactly are you going? I live about five miles inland from the ocean. There is a range of different types of areas along the shore. Some more natural, some with extensive year-round populations while others are sparsely populated in winter, some family-oriented, others wealthy and exclusive, and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.