U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 06:25 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,840,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Show us on the doll where the Northeast touched you...
Apparently in the same spot the South touched you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 06:29 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,744,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
True but the northeast and midwest are classified as two distinct regions whereas the South streachs from the bottom half of the east coast to Texas. A person from NC is in the region as someone from Louisiana despite being hundreds of miles apart whereas New York and Ohio are in different regions despite both being in the North.
Yeah, but not really.

Truth be told there's no good reason why they are divided by definition. It was something that happened over a hundred years ago and makes little sense today.

As an example, many people from the south are constantly debating its true scope. Conversely, people from western NY and PA are often arguing a stronger connection between the Midwest and Northeast.

There's obviously something unsatisfactory about how the government defines things.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:33 AM

362 posts, read 110,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
There is a bit of truth to this. I grew up in Wisconsin and never heard anyone refer to themselves as Northerners. Everyone just said they're from Wisconsin or maybe the Midwest. I do think there's more consciousness surrounding the Civil War in the South and non-Southern states like PA where battles were actually fought, which solidifies the use of the terms Northern and Southern in vernacular. We learned about the Civil War in school, sure, but it wasn't made out to be as big of a deal as it is in the South. Like, I rarely ever gave it a thought until I traveled to the South, it just seemed like something is long ago and mostly forgotten in WI. How much the average American might think about the War of 1812 is about how much thought I gave to the Civil War growing up.
Intresting, it's amazing how the South distances itself from the rest of the US with the word Yankee. I even hear Californians get labeled Yankee which is ridiculous because most of CA is well below the Mason-Dixon line. Los Angles is about as far south as South Carolina. Like I never hear people up north make a big deal about the civil war and I'm from NYC originally. Lots of NY'ers relocate south but feel disconnected from southern culture due to being a non-wasp city. I wouldn't expect anyone north of Gettysburg to give the civil war a thought because they weren't on the losing end of the war, or were barley involved in the war.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:44 AM

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I can't recall more than one or two times I've ever heard "yankee" used as a pejorative. Where exactly in the South are you guys hearing this?

Old 11-29-2018, 06:49 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,744,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I can't recall more than one or two times I've ever heard "yankee" used as a pejorative. Where exactly in the South are you guys hearing this?
Louisiana. All the time.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:40 AM

428 posts, read 130,906 times
I think Yankee gets thrown at someone from a state that wasn't part of the Confederacy. The Mason-Dixon line goes through a ton of states that were part of the Union. Hell, the two states it divided were both part of the Union (although one was a slave state).

It's become a stand in for the North/South divide, but I don't know that it's very accurate.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:47 AM

21,359 posts, read 21,922,845 times
Quote:
Florida...constantly

Old 11-29-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Louisiana. All the time.
Oh cool. Never been to Louisiana, most of my southern experience is in VA and NC and I can't recall every hearing this much, if at all...

Fun fact, that has nothing to do with this thread: I took a genealogy test three years ago and had a ton of Louisiana relatives. It mystified me, as not only have I never been to Louisiana, I have no known relatives there. And I mean there was a LOT of distant relatives that popped up from there, many times more than any other place...

This past spring I went back to California and shared this with my grandmother, who told me her father was from Louisiana and Creole. Never knew it and it lent some support to that first genealogy test...

I took a second one this past summer that confirmed I am Creole descended, that my family's American base dates to Louisiana from before the Civil War. This is fascinating to me, as Louisiana would have been among the last places I guessed I "came from", and my grandmother, who is 68, never shared this with me before. The only bad part is that she doesn't remember the city or parish her dad was from...

So don't be surprised if I hit you up for all kind of questions and insight about Louisiana, as I plan on taking an extended trip (several weeks long), in about two years...

Old 11-29-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I think Yankee gets thrown at someone from a state that wasn't part of the Confederacy. The Mason-Dixon line goes through a ton of states that were part of the Union. Hell, the two states it divided were both part of the Union (although one was a slave state).

It's become a stand in for the North/South divide, but I don't know that it's very accurate.
This definitely isn't something you hear in urban VA or NC. I don't know about the smaller cities or rural areas, though...

Old 11-29-2018, 08:46 AM

362 posts, read 110,866 times
Quote:
This definitely isn't something you hear in urban VA or NC. I don't know about the smaller cities or rural areas, though...
It's more prevalent in rural areas. I live in a small town on the SC border so it's a lot more stereotypically southern than Raliegh, Charlotte or even Greensboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or