U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 08:05 AM

172 posts, read 90,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
St Louis is a midwestern city but because it's in Missouri it's considered an outlier because Missouri is has a lot of southern influence and was considered apart of the south prior to the civil war. Not saying, St Louis, is a southern city but when your city is a few hours away from Memphis and rapper Nelly has a song called country grammar it gives people this perception of St Louis being country. I didn't realize how far north STL was till recently I always thought it pretty far south for a midwestern city like bordering TN south.
It's a little further north than Louisville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 08:07 AM

172 posts, read 90,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I can't recall more than one or two times I've ever heard "yankee" used as a pejorative. Where exactly in the South are you guys hearing this?
Alabama

Old 11-30-2018, 09:29 AM

417 posts, read 127,126 times
Quote:
St Louis is a midwestern city but because it's in Missouri it's considered an outlier because Missouri is has a lot of southern influence and was considered apart of the south prior to the civil war. Not saying, St Louis, is a southern city but when your city is a few hours away from Memphis and rapper Nelly has a song called country grammar it gives people this perception of St Louis being country. I didn't realize how far north STL was till recently I always thought it pretty far south for a midwestern city like bordering TN south.
The Midwest is country as hell. At least a good chunk of it is.

StL/Missouri certainly have Southern influences, but are still more Midwestern than Southern.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:00 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
The Midwest is country as hell.
Truth be told? Every region is. Yes, even New England.

America prides itself on its rural and small town image. That's why so many of us default to that element being "true America".

Every state has a country element, although Connecticut and Rhode Island have been losing theirs to sub division expansion (of an unaffordable variety) for years; trust me, I've met people from those areas who are sharply unhappy about that.

I still recall and laugh at how mad some folks I knew in Louisiana were when I kept out-countrying them. These two wanted to believe all Yankees were waspy flappy-wristed cubicle jockeys. Being from NY I not only challenged this notion, but I exposed THEIR facades too. haha

Old 11-30-2018, 03:26 PM

330 posts, read 104,944 times
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Truth be told? Every region is. Yes, even New England.

America prides itself on its rural and small town image. That's why so many of us default to that element being "true America".

Every state has a country element, although Connecticut and Rhode Island have been losing theirs to sub division expansion (of an unaffordable variety) for years; trust me, I've met people from those areas who are sharply unhappy about that.

I still recall and laugh at how mad some folks I knew in Louisiana were when I kept out-countrying them. These two wanted to believe all Yankees were waspy flappy-wristed cubicle jockeys. Being from NY I not only challenged this notion, but I exposed THEIR facades too. haha
Lol true. Every state has a rural element to it even NJ (the densest state in the union) has a lot of small town charm.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:29 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Quote:
ILol true. Every state has a rural element to it even NJ (the densest state in the union) has a lot of small town charm.
I think what a lot of people misunderstand about high population density is that it also mean there's a lot of rural/wilderness between these densely packed cities.

New Jersey is a good example of that (including north Jersey). So are NY and Massachusetts.

Whereas down south a lot of cities kind of sprawl and crawl for miles and miles (the city centers end abruptly but then you realize how many sub divisions are hiding in the woods). Ultimately you have cities with a smaller feel, but also it takes longer to get away from humanity.

Of course there are exceptions, Mississippi has a lot of empty space. But in general states with denser urban cores have larger tracts of rural land.

Likewise, anywhere super-hilly or mountainous sort of pushes its people into denser towns by nature.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:11 AM

This is the video I was talking about in reference to Ohio vs Georgia. https://youtu.be/0l_Z79MSIdI

Old 12-02-2018, 08:23 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,146,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I dont. As mentioned by some...Northerner is not really a regional identity. Its more a term used by Southerners.
Ditto. I don’t call myself a “northerner.” Southerners call me a northerner.

And I think it’s a funny thing because I’m originally from the south.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:25 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,146,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I can't recall more than one or two times I've ever heard "yankee" used as a pejorative. Where exactly in the South are you guys hearing this?
Rural areas of Virginia and North Carolina

Old 12-02-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Ditto. I donít call myself a ďnortherner.Ē Southerners call me a northerner.

And I think itís a funny thing because Iím originally from the south.
That's probably the biggest difference the south and the north is that being a southerner is regional term while being a northerner is just a label. People in the northeast do acknowledge the north label since the regional term is the northeast and it's the northern half of the east coast. Same can be said about the Pacific NW but no one refers to those states as the north. The South as a regional term is pretty much used all throughout the US and people all over the US pretty much refer to anything from VA to TX as the South whereas with the north it's two separate regions in one. That's why I like using region-specific terms to avoid geographic confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or