U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2018, 10:55 AM

4,880 posts, read 3,002,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Pretty sure Texas has the market cornered on the flag-waving, Kool-Aid chugging brand of state pride. It's the only state I've ever lived in where they make public school children say a pledge of allegiance to the STATE FLAG. When they leave the mother ship dyed-in-the-wool Texans also have a tendency to plaster Texas-themed tchotchkes all over their new abode.
And verbally assault the state they're stuck in, excuse me I mean moved to.

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 11-30-2018 at 11:59 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 03:15 PM

6,889 posts, read 6,212,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
And verbally assault the state they're stuck in, excuse me I mean moved to.
Being from Oklahoma we catch verbal assault thing pretty bad when we go to Texas to play Texas in football in Dallas every October

And this year we get to go back to Texas to play them again tomorrow.

Win or lose they bash Okies and Oklahomans pretty harshly. I guess we are gluttons for punishment.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:35 PM

4,880 posts, read 3,002,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Being from Oklahoma we catch verbal assault thing pretty bad when we go to Texas to play Texas in football in Dallas every October

And this year we get to go back to Texas to play them again tomorrow.

Win or lose they bash Okies and Oklahomans pretty harshly. I guess we are gluttons for punishment.
You're going down tomorrow.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:26 PM

6,869 posts, read 7,818,981 times
When I lived in Houston, I felt people were more proud of their state than their city.

Since moving to Philadelphia, I feel that people are more proud of their city than their state.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:58 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,240,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
When I lived in Houston, I felt people were more proud of their state than their city.

Since moving to Philadelphia, I feel that people are more proud of their city than their state.
The same is true about Chicago. Downtown, there are a ton of shirts and hats with Chicago on them, and even purses with the Chicago flag. Not so much about the State of Illinois, although U of Illinois stuff can be seen. Also, just like every other place, there is school pride that carries into the city, such as Nothwestern, or team pride, such as the Cubs or Bears that is connected with the city.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:04 AM

6,889 posts, read 6,212,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You're going down tomorrow.
LOL. Usually if we lose it's "get out or our state you loser Okies". And generally there are a few friendly Texans on the overpasses on I-35 with signs reminding you of that in some form or another.

If we win it's usually something like, "well at least we don't have to go back to that (insert derogatory word) state, Oklahoma after the game.

And this year will be interesting because the crowd will be mostly mixed together instead of split in the Cotton Bowl. I am afraid what goes on in the stands might be crazier than what goes on in the game.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:21 AM

45,089 posts, read 36,303,462 times
Well, speaking of football, Thursday was a sad day for me because the Saints (who played terribly) lost to the Cowboys. I like but don't love the Cowboys and they pretty much suck this year, and the Saints have been on a tear and they are "my team" (hey, I'm from New Orleans, I can't help it). My husband has been a Cowboys (Cowgirls?) fan his whole life though he's been put out with them this year. Anyway, the Saints and Cowboys don't play each other every year so when they do it's a big deal in our house. So I am still sort of in a state of shock.

Here in NE Texas, there are a lot of Saints fans since we are only two hours from the LA border and also since so many people from the LA coast moved here after Katrina. But of course there are more Cowboys fans. So people were really talking about this game and frankly just about everyone was expecting the Cowboys to lose. Yikes!

Oh well, even with this loss, the only team with a better record right now is the Rams, with 10-1. (Saints are 10-2.) Maybe they'll lose their next game - LOL.

I'd say that a lot of state pride is directly tied to sports teams, especially football. I mean, the SEC is just such a big thing in the South and then you have the NFL. Just off the top of my head - in college, Alabama, Clemson, GA State, LSU, FL, etc. and that's just college. Then you've got the Cowboys, the Saints, the Texans, the Falcons - all of those teams have huge followings (not to mention other southern teams).

I know that there are college and professional sports teams from all over the country, but southern teams for whatever reason seem to really bring out the flag waving from their states' sports fans. I'm sure there's some psychological reason for that but whatever - it's fun.

My son in law is from Boston. You'd think he'd be a big Red Sox fan. But he's not. He is, however, a huge Patriots fan. That's a "New England" team, not a state team. I just think that's interesting.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 12-01-2018 at 06:33 AM..

Old 12-01-2018, 06:26 AM

482 posts, read 140,589 times
No, Texas is the only southern state that's really like that. Other states with a lot of pride that come to mind are Montana, Wyoming and New York, but New York is more of a city thing.

No other State tops Texas for that though. I really do believe that they would succeed from the union if they could.

Last edited by spider99; 12-01-2018 at 06:35 AM..

Old 12-01-2018, 06:34 AM

482 posts, read 140,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Texas first and then Alaska
Totally forgot about Alaska.

Also, Hawaii probably has more pride than Texas, but it's not really a state thing. It's more of a native thing.
Utah is a bit like that with Mormons as well.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:38 AM

45,089 posts, read 36,303,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
No, Texas is the only southern state that's really like that. Other states with a lot of pride that come to mind are Montana and New York, but New York is more of a city thing.

No other State tops Texas for that though. I really do believe that they would succeed from the union if they could.

It's "secede," not "succeed." And no, the vast majority of Texans do not want to secede from the Union. Did you know, by the way, that all 50 states have presented secession petitions at one time or the other, and that several states (not just Texas) have successfully garnered the 25,000 necessary petitions to forward the secession petitions? However, none have been even remotely successful. Because by and large, no state REALLY wants to secede from the Union, including Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or