U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 05:38 AM

339 posts, read 106,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Having lived in NC and MA, I found both have a nice, healthy pride in their states. In terms of a pride for the state as a whole, I'd have to give the nod to NC. Being in Cape Cod, you saw LOTS of Cape Cod shirts, caps, car decals, etc. In the Boston metro, lots of neighborhood and close-suburb pride. In NC, there is lots of regional pride (mountains, Piedmont, coast). I really love seeing people take pride in their various communities like that. NC is my home and love it dearly and like seeing others have the same satisfaction and contentment about the states where they live. One distinction I did notice, community sports/athletic teams (high school, communities leagues, church leagues, etc.) is MUCH more prominent in the South. That tends to bring a lot of pride in medium and small towns especially. So, there may be some variation in the levels of pride in different states and regions have, but each has its pride. That's nice to see.
That's true as well. I live in NC and I can attest to your statement. As a native New Yorker, I know we're very prideful about our city but when it comes to the state as a whole it's very divided between upstate and downstate because NYC is the largest city and carries the name New York both in the city and in the state. North Carolinians are much more united cultural with it's food, sports, church, and have it's state zoo. NC is a pretty diverse state and every city has it's own identity but still proud to be North Carolinians across the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 12:40 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbait73 View Post
I feel like the rust belt states have the least pride in their states. Having lived in Ohio, seems like most people were down on their state and ready to move out asap. It left me with a general depressing feeling about the Midwest and Ohio in particular.

It also depends on which state. The states that have more unique cultures definitely will have more pride (TX, LA, GA, FL) including those in other regions. Maybe that's why the Midwest has no pride, because many of the states can seem generic and don't have a defined culture.

Clearly you haven't been to Minnesota. People put the state shape on EVERYTHING and there's definitely a defined culture. Florida on the other hand? Outside of souvenir shops and circles of sports fans... not sure what pride there is. Must have missed it in the 18 years growing up down there. Definitely not a defined culture in much of the state, unless that defined culture is "retirement culture." Sadly Florida has become the definition of generic suburbia.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:43 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
The two most obnoxiously prideful states I've spent time in are Texas and Minnesota.

Minnesota is honestly on par with Texas, but they're just less in your face. Minnesotans believe it's the center of the universe and are frequently insular and ignorant about the rest of the country, especially neighboring states. The amount of hostility and disdain they project at Wisconsin, Iowa, and the Dakotas is bizarre and goes beyond cheeky civic rivalry.

I love Minnesota, but I agree. I don't get the bashing and elitism some people have towards neighbouring states. Sometimes its tongue and cheek but other times its not. No need to bash on Iowa or Wisconsin. We're all brothers here!

Old 12-05-2018, 07:01 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,441,208 times
Quote:
The two most obnoxiously prideful states I've spent time in are Texas and Minnesota.

Minnesota is honestly on par with Texas, but they're just less in your face. Minnesotans believe it's the center of the universe and are frequently insular and ignorant about the rest of the country, especially neighboring states. The amount of hostility and disdain they project at Wisconsin, Iowa, and the Dakotas is bizarre and goes beyond cheeky civic rivalry.

Minnesotans are alright, but have an inferiority complex - especially when it comes to sports. The Gophers routinely get their butts kicked by Wisconsin and Iowa, and often lose to the Dakota schools when they roll into town. The Twins and Vikes haven't done much lately either.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:04 AM

628 posts, read 758,244 times
I feel like Southerners have more of a Southern collective pride than individual state pride, outside of Texas that is. That's just my opinion though, based on nothing but anecdotal evidence.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:36 AM

419 posts, read 127,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I love Minnesota, but I agree. I don't get the bashing and elitism some people have towards neighbouring states. Sometimes its tongue and cheek but other times its not. No need to bash on Iowa or Wisconsin. We're all brothers here!
Minnesota is a fine state, until you tell someone you're from Iowa. You can tell the difference between someone making a joke and someone with a deep-seeded disdain.

My favorite is when people in Rochester try and say that it has more going on than any city in Iowa. I think it's less an attempt at trying to be mean, and more a revealing of monumental ignorance/insularity.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:41 AM

419 posts, read 127,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Being from Oklahoma we catch verbal assault thing pretty bad when we go to Texas to play Texas in football in Dallas every October

And this year we get to go back to Texas to play them again tomorrow.

Win or lose they bash Okies and Oklahomans pretty harshly. I guess we are gluttons for punishment.
I've noticed an I-35 tiering of hatred.

Texas and Minnesota, the states at the respective ends of the highway have incredible hubris. They also have severe disdain for the next state inland (OK and IA, respectively). OK and IA don't seem to really hate their neighbors down the highway (KS and MO, respectively). Maybe some good natured ribbing, but that's it. The two in the middle (KS and MO) hate each other intensely, but it's totally a 2 way street, whereas I get the impression that any hatred OK has for TX and IA for MN is mostly a response to the steaming mountain of crap they get from their neighbors.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:01 PM

6,845 posts, read 6,183,900 times
Quote:

Texas and Minnesota, the states at the respective ends of the highway have incredible hubris. They also have severe disdain for the next state inland (OK and IA, respectively). OK and IA don't seem to really hate their neighbors down the highway (KS and MO, respectively). Maybe some good natured ribbing, but that's it. The two in the middle (KS and MO) hate each other intensely, but it's totally a 2 way street, whereas I get the impression that any hatred OK has for TX and IA for MN is mostly a response to the steaming mountain of crap they get from their neighbors.
Great observation. Obviously the Kansas Missouri hate has a historical reality to it.

The Texas Oklahoma thing is partly derived by sports but Texas people are pretty much derisive toward all their neighboring states. Arkansas gets it pretty good from them as well. Of course they had college sports rivalries with Arkansas for a good part of the last century. For some reason Arkansas has a lot of hate for Oklahoma. The only reason I think that is is that the poorest parts of Oklahoma (eastern) pretty much relies on Arkansas cities like Fayetteville, Ft Smith, even Dequeen for jobs and retail.

Basically Texas hate is kind of funny because their rural areas aren't much different than the surrounding areas but obviously the other states don't have cities to match the clout of DFW, Houston, San Antonio and the like. I'm sure the Twin Cities like to look down their nose at poor little Des Moines.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:48 PM

7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times
Quote:

I've heard quite a few Iowans go on and on about how "ugly" Nebraska is even though all but the western third looks IDENTICAL to Iowa. Not sure how much is good natured teasing, but it makes me wonder how many have actually been out of Iowa if they say that.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:37 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,194,242 times
I do have to agree with those who mentioned the Minnesota pride thing. State pride here is real.

There are actual whole stores (Love from Minnesota, Uffda Shop, Minnesot-ah!) and entire brands (Askov Finlayson, Sota Clothing) that sell nothing but Minnesota-themed merchandise.

Go to any attraction, museum, touristy town, or popular state park and you'll see items from those retailers in gift shops. Even at Target stores around the state, you'll see a special "Only in MN" section with memorabilia, clothing, decorations, etcetera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or