Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 09:50 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Personal experience. I went to high school in Rochester. My brother lives in St. Paul now. Tell a Minnesotan you're from Iowa, and watch the disdain and dismissiveness roll down.

Hell, your post kind of proves my point. "You're too insignificant for our thoughts".
Very personal experience, I presume.

I have yet to hear a single person ever speak badly of Iowa (unlike Wisconsin, which is widely disparaged here). There's nothing about it to dislike, honestly. It's a pleasant place and has a lot of nice little cities I wouldn't mind living in at all. Des Moines eerily reminds me of a mini-Twin Cities, especially in the surrounding suburbs.

For my own experience, I guess I just don't think much about Iowa because I rarely have to travel through it to get anywhere. Most destinations are a drive through the Dakotas or Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 07:06 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Metro Des Moines is also pretty well off compared to the nation in general. It looks like the highest income level in the area is not in Polk, but in Dallas County to the west. If the boundaries were a little further west, Polk would include more of the affluent neighborhoods and thus have its statistical profile appear stronger.

I think Minnesota and Iowa may have a bit more affinity for some of their remaining neighbors rather than each other as they have no shared metropolitan areas. Minnesota has more obvious links with Wisconsin and North Dakota in particular, and Iowa with Illinois and Nebraska.

Regarding Wichita Falls ... Lawton would be the city in Oklahoma that is more of its peer. Definitely not Tulsa.
Could be some truth to this. The Iowa/Minnesota border is very remote from a population standpoint. The raw # of people who commute back and forth is low, and my viewpoint is probably skewed by living most of my life along it.

Quote:
Rochester certainly has a well above average economy due to Mayo Clinic and IBM along with other employers. The median household income is well above that of Polk County, IA (Des Moines). Obviously, Rochester is a smaller metro area than Des Moines but punches well above its weight compared to the majority of peer cities its size.
Rochester has a great economy, for the reasons you noted. It has very little going on culturally for a city of it's size and affluence. It frequently tends to lag behind cultural trends, and doesn't have much in the way of established local cultural offerings. It's gotten a lot better in the last 5 years, but prior to that it was a place dominated by box stores, strip malls, and chain restaurants. Des Moines is a much larger metro, with a diverse economy as well, and cultural offerings that are above and beyond it's peers.

I personally don't think they are apples to apples, and find it unfair to compare them. I was doing so to point out Minnesotan ignorance/arrogance/insularity. No one who has spent time in both cities would think Rochester has more cultural offerings or vibrancy unless they had a heavy bias. But there's a strong perception in MN that Rochester has more going on than any place in Iowa, and that is absurd.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:28 AM

18 posts, read 13,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Do you think Southerners, on average, have more pride in their home state? Are they more likely to display symbols of state pride such as their state flag? What about articles of clothing? From my experiences in N.C., state pride is a pretty big thing. What about elsewhere?

In a word, NO

Old 12-08-2018, 09:36 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
In my experience, Rhode Islanders have the most state pride of anyone I’ve met from any state. However, my experience in the south is limited to the Carolinas. I’ll also say that people from the Carolinas (imo!) have more state pride than people from MA or CT. So maybe southern states have more pride on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.