Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 11:51 AM

250 posts, read 356,379 times

Advertisements

Which urban (decently dense, walkable, amenities, good access to other areas of interest in the city), safe (within reasonable expectations of an urban area) neighborhoods in metros over 1.5 million or so have the most affordable housing stock in all of America? Whether it be small single family homes or apartments/townhouses/multifamily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 12:07 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,894,001 times
Maplewood Missouri would be a good example. It's not a neighborhood it's a suburb of St. Louis.

5200 ppsm
7800 population
St. Louis Msa 2.9 million
Easy train access to DT St Louis, Clayton, CWE, Cortex, Galleria major Universities, airport and Scott afb.

Safe, affordable with good schools. Access to LRT bus transit is decent and a nice walkable district.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 12-03-2018 at 12:16 PM..

Old 12-03-2018, 12:30 PM

6,335 posts, read 4,876,404 times
Forest Park, IL is the last stop on the Chicago L's Blue Line. It itself has a decent downtown, plus you're right by Oak Park's.

Official density is 5800 ppsm but half of the town's area is forest preserve, train yards, or industrial areas.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Maplewood Missouri would be a good example. It's not a neighborhood it's a suburb of St. Louis.

5200 ppsm
7800 population
St. Louis Msa 2.9 million
Easy train access to DT St Louis, Clayton, CWE, Cortex, Galleria major Universities, airport and Scott afb.

Safe, affordable with good schools. Access to LRT bus transit is decent and a nice walkable district.
Looks like a very cool neighborhood! Did a bit of zillowing haha, and there really is some great value on homes there...St.Louis in general probably has a few different neighborhoods that could compete for this title i'd think.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:58 AM

26,906 posts, read 43,406,570 times
Check out Lakewood OH, a western border suburb of Cleveland. It has a surprising east coast-like population density which results in great walkability (the city's overall Walk Score is a whopping 77), above average transit service with Cleveland's RTA Rail service at two in-town stations as well as a significant present of bus service and a strong commitment to bike lanes. The median home price is a very reasonable 168K. The City of Lakewood, Ohio

Old 12-04-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Lakewood OH, a western border suburb of Cleveland. It has a surprising east coast-like population density which results in great walkability (the city's overall Walk Score is a whopping 77), above average transit service with Cleveland's RTA Rail service at two in-town stations as well as a significant present of bus service and a strong commitment to bike lanes. The median home price is a very reasonable 168K. The City of Lakewood, Ohio
Nice, looks like a good choice! And some beautiful homes from what I can tell.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:54 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,807,216 times
Covington, KY.

If I was a hipster truly about keeping it real, I'd be there over any of the real hipster hangouts.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:59 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,659,195 times
Lakewood, OH

If the metro area requirement is a bit more lenient, there's literally a ton of options in the Albany-Schenectady-Troy metro in upstate NY:

Albany, NY neighborhoods:
- Pine Hills
- New Scotland
- Helderberg
- Delaware Ave.
- Center Square

Schenectady, NY neighborhoods:
- The Stockade

Troy, NY neighborhoods:
- Downtown Troy

Saratoga Springs neighborhoods:
- Basically the entire city

Even downtown Glens Falls, NY has come a long way, but I wouldn't say the area's as walkable as you'd probably like.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:01 PM

92,222 posts, read 122,469,470 times
I’m surprised that Dormont or Mount Lebanon in the Pittsburgh area haven’t been mentioned yet.

In the Detroit area, Royal Oak would fit most of the criteria.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:07 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,894,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaGoose View Post
Looks like a very cool neighborhood! Did a bit of zillowing haha, and there really is some great value on homes there...St.Louis in general probably has a few different neighborhoods that could compete for this title i'd think.
Yes. Maplewood is a great value while being very safe with great schools. I know you didn't say anything about school districts but that is icing on the cake.

St. Louis as a whole is a great value as in getting a lot of city for your money. I personally think Maplewood adds another dimension as far as safety, affordability mixed in with a central location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.