U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-24-2018, 07:47 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
943 posts, read 414,687 times
Reputation: 460

Advertisements

I live in NJ and I feel that NJ has a lot hidden gems where a lot of the stuff is undocumented or not documented properly. This means you cannot find information about it on the internet.

1. In NJ, there is a well known hiking area called "Pyramid Mountain". They have a parking lot, however, if you cross the street from the parking lot, there is another hiking spot called "Turkey Mountain". It is pretty much not documented well on the internet. Google Earth won't even show the trails for that place. Not even most locals know that that this place exists. They only know about "Pyramid Mountain". It's a shame, because Turkey Mountain is my favorite place to hike in NJ. It has a beautiful undocumented swamp land, a beautiful NYC view, a gorgeous power line view, an undocumented old stone ruin, and even a water fall (I never found the water fall).

2. NJ has a lot of small parks in residential areas labeled on Google Earth you cannot find on Google itself. Not even ratings of the place.

3. NJ has some huge swamp lands that are barely documented, but you cannot find parking for it unless you are local. In my town, there is a huge swamp land called "Troy Meadow Wetlands", which has a hiking trail and it is part of a well documented trail that runs throughout the county I live in. The problem is, you cannot find the hiking unless you are local. Even though it is in my town, I never hiked it before and I never knew where to park for it, but one time I accidentally found a parking area.

4. There is an undocumented abandoned military camp in an undocumented patch of woods in my town's park. I can NOT even find ONE piece of information about it.

5. There is an abandoned missile base silo in my town and I heard it is underground and I never found it. The condo development in my town used to be a missile base, which is not very well documented. You must be a local who lived during the time period it actually was a missile base.

6. There is a small park with a bunch of hiking trails (great for quick hiking) where the trails are documented online, but you have to be a local to know what to put in your GPS. It's called Mountain View Park.

NJ has so many hidden gems and all these things I listed is only North Jersey! I am pretty sure South Jersey has hidden gems too such as secrets in the Pine Barrens! NJ is a very localized state. Those are the best parts about living in NJ besides having the Shore and NYC/Phili nearby.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2018, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Boston/UpstateNY/FL
154 posts, read 91,821 times
Reputation: 353
I agree with you about NJ.. My first impression was it was a sprawled industrial dump. But when I got to know NJ, its not a half bad state afterall. My friends in NJ took me to nice shore points and cool areas by the appalachian trial in Northwest NJ. It went from like a 1/10 to a 7/10 immediately.

But in Massachusetts, there really is a lot but my favorites:

1. Allston... Only really locals know that Allston has good party/nightlife.
2. The Cape & Islands In September: The islands are SO much better to visit right after Labor Day. Its still warm and theres like 10% the amount of people.
3. Worcester: For the food.
4. The Spit
5. Marina Bay, Quincy
6. Welfleet, Cape Cod


A lot of people know MA has a plethora of parks and greenery, so sayng there is hidden gems of that wouldnt really be a shock to most.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 08:50 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
943 posts, read 414,687 times
Reputation: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeOntarioLiving View Post
I agree with you about NJ.. My first impression was it was a sprawled industrial dump. But when I got to know NJ, its not a half bad state afterall. My friends in NJ took me to nice shore points and cool areas by the appalachian trial in Northwest NJ. It went from like a 1/10 to a 7/10 immediately.

But in Massachusetts, there really is a lot but my favorites:

1. Allston... Only really locals know that Allston has good party/nightlife.
2. The Cape & Islands In September: The islands are SO much better to visit right after Labor Day. Its still warm and theres like 10% the amount of people.
3. Worcester: For the food.
4. The Spit
5. Marina Bay, Quincy
6. Welfleet, Cape Cod


A lot of people know MA has a plethora of parks and greenery, so sayng there is hidden gems of that wouldnt really be a shock to most.
I'd say where I live leans more towards northeastern NJ, so the Appalachian trail is a bit far from where I live. I wonder what hiking the Appalachian trail in NJ is like. I always thought NJ was entirely concrete with just shopping places all the time. I didn't realize "Super North Jersey" existed. "Super North Jersey" means the part above the main crowded part of North Jersey that has a lot of nature. It has a lot lakes too. Most of North Jersey's civilization is concentrated around US-46, I-80 through I-280, and NJ-10. Above those three roads is a lot of nature and semi-rural neighborhoods. Below those roads are some nice farms and then you have Central Jersey's civilization (Edison, Piscataway, etc.). There are things I like about NJ. It's kind of a shame that I would want to leave NJ to leave behind these hidden gems, but I like the West better for the better climate and better scenery.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Boston/UpstateNY/FL
154 posts, read 91,821 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I'd say where I live leans more towards northeastern NJ, so the Appalachian trail is a bit far from where I live. I wonder what hiking the Appalachian trail in NJ is like. I always thought NJ was entirely concrete with just shopping places all the time. I didn't realize "Super North Jersey" existed. "Super North Jersey" means the part above the main crowded part of North Jersey that has a lot of nature. It has a lot lakes too. Most of North Jersey's civilization is concentrated around US-46, I-80 through I-280, and NJ-10. Above those three roads is a lot of nature and semi-rural neighborhoods. Below those roads are some nice farms and then you have Central Jersey's civilization (Edison, Piscataway, etc.). There are things I like about NJ. It's kind of a shame that I would want to leave NJ to leave behind these hidden gems, but I like the West better for the better climate and better scenery.
I mean other states have far more than NJ. Leaving NJ and its hidden gems opens up more hidden gems in other states wherever you go. Personally, I find MA, NH and CA much more exciting.

But we took route 17 to 280 to route 15 up to Newton area. Its a nice part of NJ, I definetly liked it better than Bergen and Hudson counties (bar Hoboken). It was nice to walk up in that area, i think it was sunrise mountain? It was a nice little excursion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 09:15 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
943 posts, read 414,687 times
Reputation: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeOntarioLiving View Post
I mean other states have far more than NJ. Leaving NJ and its hidden gems opens up more hidden gems in other states wherever you go. Personally, I find MA, NH and CA much more exciting.

But we took route 17 to 280 to route 15 up to Newton area. Its a nice part of NJ, I definetly liked it better than Bergen and Hudson counties (bar Hoboken). It was nice to walk up in that area, i think it was sunrise mountain? It was a nice little excursion.
I have not hiked in the Sussex County area before (Newton is in Sussex County), but it sounds like a nice area. Bergen County has some hiking too such as the Palisades Interstate Park. Palisades is a busy park considering it's right across the border to NYC and it attracts people that want to view NYC. Hudson County is probably the most urban part of NJ, so you will not find hiking there. It is just basically Jersey City, Harrison, etc. I visited NH and VT. We didn't see anything in NH, because we just stayed there for a night to pause for a long trip from Boston to northern VT. We drove to Boston to pick up my brother from his college. VT was cool and we had to learn a couple of the hidden gems. We saw mainly locals there and we barely saw a tourist around. I rarely seen out of state license plates.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 09:23 PM
 
5,859 posts, read 14,051,512 times
Reputation: 3485
My favorite obscure areas in MN include North Hibbing, which is the former downtown area of the city of Hibbing, the largest city in the Mesabi Iron Range. Back in the 1920s, the mining companies decided there was valuable ore underneath the city's downtown, so the old downtown was abandoned and most of it strip-mined. They moved the downtown 2 miles south to the site of the current downtown. All but a few blocks of the old downtown became part of the strip mine. The remaining few blocks are still there, though all of the buildings have been removed, Remaining are paved streets, streetlights, steps to the former commercial buildings, etc. There are plaques identifying the stores, banks, etc. that used to occupy the blocks. Here's how it looks now:
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.4462...!7i3328!8i1664

If you drive a little further os what was the main street, you'll reach the edge of the Hill-Rust_Mahoning Mine, still operating today:
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.4286...!7i8524!8i3753
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 09:32 PM
 
5,859 posts, read 14,051,512 times
Reputation: 3485
Another favorite of mine in MN is "The Lost 40". It's an old-growth pine forest that still stands due to a surveying error that occurred during the Public Land Survey in 1882. These trees were missed by loggers because surveyors mistakenly mapped the area as Coddington Lake, which is actually located a half-mile to the southeast. The site was re-surveyed and the error corrected in 1960. It is now protected state forest land. Protected old growth forests are not all that rare, but I just like the story behind it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 09:52 PM
 
17,683 posts, read 4,076,675 times
Reputation: 5607
there's a meteor crater near where i live.Its near Odessa.Not many people are aware of it..Ive been to it and i thought it was kool.Thats my local gem for my area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 10:00 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
943 posts, read 414,687 times
Reputation: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
My favorite obscure areas in MN include North Hibbing, which is the former downtown area of the city of Hibbing, the largest city in the Mesabi Iron Range. Back in the 1920s, the mining companies decided there was valuable ore underneath the city's downtown, so the old downtown was abandoned and most of it strip-mined. They moved the downtown 2 miles south to the site of the current downtown. All but a few blocks of the old downtown became part of the strip mine. The remaining few blocks are still there, though all of the buildings have been removed, Remaining are paved streets, streetlights, steps to the former commercial buildings, etc. There are plaques identifying the stores, banks, etc. that used to occupy the blocks. Here's how it looks now:
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.4462...!7i3328!8i1664

If you drive a little further os what was the main street, you'll reach the edge of the Hill-Rust_Mahoning Mine, still operating today:
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.4286...!7i8524!8i3753
From the satellite view of Google Maps, I thought Hibbing was a desert at first, and I was like, "Since when does Minnesota have desert land at all?" I realized that it was a mine. Wow, I can't believe that empty piece of grassland on the first link was once a downtown. How unique! I wonder if that is more unique than NJ's hidden gems. NJ's hidden gems are great in terms of nature.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2018, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,825 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Reputation: 63484
If you go to Austin and don't take a road trip to Luckenbach and Fredericksburg and Bandera, you're missing out. Pedernales Falls is nice too, and along that route.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top