U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2018, 01:56 AM

502 posts, read 198,423 times

Advertisements

I know these cities don't get compared with each other very often but I've always thought they were similar in one big way. In your mind do you think that San Antonio is a Mecca for Mexican Americans in the same way that Atlanta is a Mecca for black Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 07:56 AM

3,784 posts, read 3,007,981 times
Simply put, no.

I don't necessarily think that Atlanta is thought of as absolute landing spot for African Americans either, as there other places that are considered for that, and I'm not sure people in general spend time thinking about it, but certainly it is a hotspot with the whole "city too busy to hate" and the open minded culture in general.

San Antonio? It does have a large Mexican American and Spanish Speaking population, certainly, but Los Angeles, New York City, Houston, even Miami I would think are considered more of a landing spot. I think San Antonio is a cool city, but it's reason for having many Mexican Americans I think is more heavily based on location, economic factors as much as anything. San Antonio if anything is probably more of a mecca for those that have served in the military due to affordable housing and important bases around there. But I don't think Mexicans think "oh, I just have to move to or be in San Antonio", in the same way Atlanta has that magnet feel.

That said, it is maybe the best place in the US to see Mexican heritage and sites such as the Missions NHP.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:40 PM

1,868 posts, read 543,703 times
I think LA is more of a Mexican mecca if anything. But Mexicans live everywhere these days. LA, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Chicago, Oakland, NYC, etc. all have huge Mexican populations. But I chose LA because it seems to have the most diversity in its Mexican population. It has people from all over Mexico, and large populations of both immigrants and Mexican-Americans.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:50 AM

21,196 posts, read 30,388,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I don't necessarily think that Atlanta is thought of as absolute landing spot for African Americans either, as there other places that are considered for that, and I'm not sure people in general spend time thinking about it, but certainly it is a hotspot with the whole "city too busy to hate" and the open minded culture in general.
I disagree wholeheartedly as Atlanta is far/away is seen as a prime location by black professionals and while Houston, Chicago, DC and Baltimore can lay claim as well I think Atlanta is seen as the top city in this instance.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:56 AM

3,784 posts, read 3,007,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly as Atlanta is far/away is seen as a prime location by black professionals and while Houston, Chicago, DC and Baltimore can lay claim as well I think Atlanta is seen as the top city in this instance.
I don't think were disagreeing, it was more a matter of semantics. Atlanta is definitely a prime location for black professionals, more so than San Antonio is a mecca for Mexicans, on that point I definitely agree. But my point was also, as you mention is that there are other spots that make it more complicated to determine it is a single spot like that (DC/Baltimore, Houston, etc.).

Also completely agree with the other poster, if anywhere is a hub/mecca for Mexican-Americans in that way, it would have to be Los Angeles.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:41 PM

18,637 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Simply put, no.

San Antonio? It does have a large Mexican American and Spanish Speaking population, certainly, but Los Angeles, New York City, Houston, even Miami I would think are considered more of a landing spot. I think San Antonio is a cool city, but it's reason for having many Mexican Americans I think is more heavily based on location, economic factors as much as anything. San Antonio if anything is probably more of a mecca for those that have served in the military due to affordable housing and important bases around there. But I don't think Mexicans think "oh, I just have to move to or be in San Antonio", in the same way Atlanta has that magnet feel.

That said, it is maybe the best place in the US to see Mexican heritage and sites such as the Missions NHP.
LA and Houston for Mexicans I can see. NYC maybe but definitely not Miami. Miami doesn’t have a particularly large Mexican population. But is SA go Mexicans as Atlanta is for black Americans, nah.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:52 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,818,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
I know these cities don't get compared with each other very often but I've always thought they were similar in one big way. In your mind do you think that San Antonio is a Mecca for Mexican Americans in the same way that Atlanta is a Mecca for black Americans?
The answer for this can easily be given to a number of other similar-sized cities in our land. If nothing else, you've got two completely different cities with different personalities. It's really not apples and oranges.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:11 PM

1,868 posts, read 543,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
LA and Houston for Mexicans I can see. NYC maybe but definitely not Miami. Miami doesn’t have a particularly large Mexican population. But is SA go Mexicans as Atlanta is for black Americans, nah.
The Mexican presence in NYC is understated, they have a large presence throughout large swaths of the city and their presence is really starting to be felt. Taco trucks and Mexican grocery stores are all over.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:24 PM

4,182 posts, read 4,162,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I think LA is more of a Mexican mecca if anything. But Mexicans live everywhere these days. LA, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Chicago, Oakland, NYC, etc.
True, Mexicans/Mexican Americans are part of all these cities, but San Antonio is different in that Mexican Americans are on the city council, County courts, English speaking media, various politicians and business men, police officer/firefighters....Mexicans/Americans are the majority. This exists somewhat in LA and Phoenix, but not to the extent as it does in San Antonio or El Paso. In all the other cities, most Mexicans are newly arrived immigrants. Despite being the majority in LA, as a Mexican its much more easy to feel like a "minority" in LA and Phoenix versus San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or