U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 07:48 AM

2,324 posts, read 1,461,105 times

Advertisements

Low taxes, no red tapes, safe, and individual freedom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 07:48 AM

883 posts, read 439,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I know this subject comes up a lot as if everyone should have the same values. What does quality of life mean to you.

Cost of living to income ratio. Regardless of what my income is, if everyone is struggling to make ends and no one has anything to save or to spend, the city doesn't have any appeal.

It's also variety of economic opportunity so not everyone is chasing the same dollar.

I also look at public transportation and how accessible it is by walking.

Parks and bike lanes are important.

Frequency of hate crimes is a major issue especially if I am a minority in the area I choose to live.

Traffic flow and commute times.

Weather has become a major issue as I get older. My comfort level changes dramatically. Anything below 20 and above 90 becomes unbearable. I do like the change of seasons.

What about everyone else?
Here are my top priorities as questions:

1. Can I afford to live in a decent house in a decent area with good schools without being house poor?
2. Am I near parks/nature that would allow me to access those things within either walking distance or minimal car distance?
3. Can I get to work via car in less than 15 minutes by car or 30 minutes by bus?
4. Does each season have suitable recreation? (e.g. Can I find a free ice skating rink in winter? Are there trails I can hike in summer or snowshoe in winter?)
5. Does the community have a good outlook for their city?
6. Do I have at least 80% of city amenities of a major metropolitan?
7. Am I at least with 3 hours drive to a major metropolitan area?
8. Are summers unbearably hot? (I can handle cold, but not heat).

Old 11-26-2018, 09:21 AM

44,695 posts, read 36,132,256 times
1. Good, comfortable ratio between income and cost of living. I want plenty of expendable income, especially for traveling, because no matter where I live, I want to travel to other interesting places frequently. No place offers everything I want to experience all the time.
2. Ability to get together with family - this could mean close proximity to an airport rather than actual close proximity to the family members.
3. A mid sized metro but close enough to a very large metro area so that those amenities are available if I want them (big name concerts, large selections of home furnishings, that sort of thing).
4. NO HEAVY TRAFFIC. I hate that.
5. Four seasons but mild, shorter winters. The four seasons don't have to be evenly spaced out, in other words - they just have to be noticeable. For instance, I only want about two months of winter and I don't want much frozen precipitation during those two months either! If I want snow, I want the expendable income to be able to visit, oh, the Alps, or Maine, or some place like that.
6. Low crime rate, sense of safety and community and neighborly good will. I don't care what your religious or political or other cultural affiliations are as long as you are polite and generally pleasant.
7. Finally, and this may be the most important thing actually - GOOD HEALTH. I want to be healthy enough to enjoy all of the above.

I live in a very comfortable situation that offers all of the above, and I am very happy with my overall quality of life.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:08 PM

14,373 posts, read 7,916,313 times
Quality of life issues:
Chocolate
Regular sex
Financial security
Good friends
Pets
Good health

And the best for last. A great husband.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:32 PM

941 posts, read 413,204 times
Quote:
I know this subject comes up a lot as if everyone should have the same values. What does quality of life mean to you.

Cost of living to income ratio. Regardless of what my income is, if everyone is struggling to make ends and no one has anything to save or to spend, the city doesn't have any appeal.

It's also variety of economic opportunity so not everyone is chasing the same dollar.

Frequency of hate crimes is a major issue especially if I am a minority in the area I choose to live.

Weather has become a major issue as I get older. My comfort level changes dramatically. Anything below 20 and above 90 becomes unbearable. I do like the change of seasons.

Quality of life means what a place offers for me to feel happy in life.

Perfect quality of life for me is:

1. Perfect weather: Temperatures from 60 - 79. No snow at all and no humidity. A mixture of beautiful sunshine with some clouds. Obviously, this is pretty non-existent in America unless you are willing to live in the crowdedness of California's desirable parts. I don't like California, so I'd prefer another western state where they only get a tiny amount of snow. Tiny amount of snow is no big deal for me, but less is perfect. Also if there is snow, a good quality of life also consists of people cleaning the roads on time to not cause traffic jams like what happen in North Jersey two Thursdays ago. East Coast climate sucks.

2. Perfect scenery: I am a person that favors either tropical scenery or desert scenery. If I don't like humidity, then I cannot live somewhere tropical. The ideal desert scenery for me is dramatic changes such as rolling hills, mountains, colorful scenery, and some greenery in the desert. NJ scenery sucks.

3. Less traffic: Depending how far you want to live from civilization, you will have less traffic the further away. Sadly, I cannot live in a area too rural as of now if I want a job after college. Anyways, I plan on moving to a small metro area after college. NJ traffic sucks.

4. Small amount of commercial traffic: Too many commercial vehicles in NJ that adds up to the traffic! Commercial vehicles are larger and take up the size of more than one vehicle.

5. People: Great people. There are bad people everywhere, but obviously, you have your people stereotypes as well! NJ's got bad/rude drivers.

6. Good road layout: Access to alternative roads. Roads allowing a decent speed limit like 40 mph. In NJ, some speed limits are a bit too low for my patience, but some of NJ's windy rural roads are a bit too high in speed limit to be safe.

7. Amount of people my age: I want to be able to have a good social life. So I need to live somewhere where there are many people my age. NJ has too many retirees.

8. If you are a serious gardener, consider the soil: Is the soil too bad where you want to live? Don't live too close to deserts if you are a gardener.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:26 AM

6,851 posts, read 7,797,618 times
True four season climate
Dense, walkable urbanity
Politically to the left
Within 1 - 2 hours of interesting and beautiful getaways
Top tier cultural offerings
Within an hour or so of salt water
Opportunities to “give back”
Enough money to enjoy all of this

C’est tout.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:26 AM

7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times
1. Cost of living and salary trump everything. If I'm going to struggle to make ends meet it's not worth it.
2. Politics. I can't deal with extremists on either side.
3. Intelligence of the people. I've lived in towns with some anti intellectual (and some flat out stupid) people and it sucks.
4. No one religious group dominates. I'm a church goer but I can't stand places where a religion dominates the politics.
5. Helpful friendly people with a sense of community.
6. More entertainment options than drinking, drugging, and reproducing. I also like being around people that don't need constant entertainment.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:34 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,825,676 times
Quote:

Your very first sentence is an outstanding open, and a great thread idea...

I agree with everything you listed and I'll add a few more that are important to me:

•diversity is huge to me. I don't have a numerical standard in mind, it's more a relative balance of ethnicities, race, and cultures, and I know it when I see it and feel it. I don't have to live in the most diverse city possible, but there has to be some relative balance. The inclusivity of said races, ethnicities, and cultures plays a huge part, too...

•family. This is something I never valued, not even a year ago. I've lived in many places, most of which (including where I now live in Virginia Beach) I have no family present. I was okay with this, and I even think it stimulates some aspect if maturation as an adult as it builds independence and a different responsibility. It potentially stunts something else, though, and I've experienced an awakening throughout 2018 that has repaired and heightened my sense of family...

This is important for my quality of life, I now find the comfort of living near and around family invaluable. Only took me almost 29 years, but literally invaluable...

•the size of the city I live in. I can't live in the country or a rural place, and I can't live in a small city or suburbia. I need a city large enough for my children to experience a variety of lifestyles and cultures. Prior to moving here, I thought VB was perfectly sized for me. In fact, it's slightly too small, a little short of the level of amenities i look for, but an otherwise comfortable place to live...

•good public safety. This also wasn't important to me before I became a parent two years ago; I could have lived anywhere with a poor overall crime rate, in a better neighborhood within said city. Now, I find I want to avoid any higher crime city. This isn't the highest of priorities, but it's something I think about, because even if I live in a good area within a higher crime city, crime tends to spill over. So the logic is that the lower the crime rate, the better for me. Virginia Beach is very well in this regard, in that even the less desirable areas aren't crime-infested. I want a bigger city with a similar dynamic...

•geography/scenery. Goes hand in hand with weather. I don't want a bland, boring scenery. Somewhere fairly ecologically and architecturally diverse, beautiful fauna, etc. Too much water here for me (a multitude of beaches, inlets, bays, swamps, water is everywhere here!); that water attracts weird pests and insects, but an otherwise okay area...

•politically mixed, but left-leaning if there is a bent. I've lived in conservative cities--not ideal for me. VB is more mixed than its reputation but it is right-leaning...

Everything else you mentioned is a factor for me as well...

Overall, am I happy with my current quality of life? I'm happy, but not satisfied. I have not a shred of family here outside of my daughters, and overall, that's the topping point. I could live with most everything else, but that aspect cannot be changed to where I can magically transport my family here. I have family in many states, the majority of which are in California, and the heartbeat of which are in North Carolina. Those two areas are where I'll spend the rest of my life, and will feel an instant QOL improvement...

Old 11-29-2018, 09:34 AM

2,321 posts, read 3,002,075 times
On/very near the ocean and coastal bays
Good fishing
Good hunting
Rural surroundings
gun friendly
mild winters
affordable housing
tasty eats
friendly people
availability of work for my career
conservative leaning

Old 11-29-2018, 10:41 AM

438 posts, read 162,781 times
- racially/ demographically diverse
- Mild weather with little extremes
- Good shopping & dining options
- Safe clean surroundings
- extensive freeway system
- major airport for easy travel elsewhere

Personal:
- Good health for me & loved ones (nothing matters if you are not in good health)
- Financial security
- Being physically attractive with a sharp mind & senses
- Good sex with good looking partners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or