U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 06:18 PM

646 posts, read 309,593 times

Advertisements

What do cities with a great quality of life looks like? This video tries to look into that!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 07:14 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Here's what makes life great in my opinion-

1. Quiet. Living far enough away from the crowds to nearly never be bothered but close enough to something to be able to get done what needs doing.

2. Scenery. Being able to look out of my windows and see hills or mountains covered in gorgeous forests, not to have to drive to them, but to have them right there!

3. The ability to cover expenses and still have savings.

4. Not have to worry about being burglarized all the time.

I also do not have very extravagant goals. I would be happy with a small house. One story, maybe two bedrooms. One car that runs reliably. Some cats.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:26 AM

17,225 posts, read 19,525,937 times
"Quality of life" is highly subjective.

One man's treasure is another man's belly laugh.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:54 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,823,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Uh, kinda the point of the thread lol...

Old 11-30-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Uh, kinda the point of the thread lol...
Yet, many people canít help but believe there are objective ways to measure quality of life.

I find that curious.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:04 AM

646 posts, read 309,593 times
Quote:
Yet, many people canít help but believe there are objective ways to measure quality of life.

I find that curious.
Not highly subjective. If you believe that, you may as well say that Dhaka, Bangladesh has the same quality of life than Copenhagen, Denmark.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:36 AM

6,538 posts, read 1,339,947 times
Quote:
Yep. I learned a long time ago to disregard "Best Places to Retire" because if a place had a long snowy winter, most reviewers would say that was a downside. Well, we like long snowy winters (as long as they don't last for more than about five months), and this was a MUST for us when we were choosing a place to retire. (And, yes, we have both lived in those kinds of climates in the past.)

Our only other "musts" for our retirement place were:

1. Great scenery and close to a large body of water
2. A population of less than 10,000, consisting mainly of native-born Americans
3. A fairly even mix of Democrats and Republicans
4. Mostly middle class
5. Less than a one-hour drive to a large town (minimum 50,000 population)

It took three years of looking, but we finally found it in Door County, Wisconsin.

Last edited by katharsis; 11-30-2018 at 11:45 AM..

Old 11-30-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
Not highly subjective. If you believe that, you may as well say that Dhaka, Bangladesh has the same quality of life than Copenhagen, Denmark.
You are thinking in terms of standard of living, which is more measurable than a much more vague concept like quality of life. Most people would agree that someone who can afford to buy a house or a car or a refrigerator has a higher standard of living than someone who cannot afford those things.

However, it is impossible to say whether or not Seattle has a better quality of life in general than Miami. The criteria for making such a determination would be almost completely subjective.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:36 PM

3,549 posts, read 1,516,044 times
This is a good thread. When ranking metros, you have to pretty much rank the different categories and run a general score. You can use national preference tools and data to help, but what equates a high quality of life differs from person to person. For my wife and me, on a personal level, the categories that carry the heaviest weight are:

Buying Power (average annual income vs cost of living)

Unique recreational assets

Outdoor activities

Strong economy

As close to a 4-season climate as possible, with a good amount of sun

Friendly people

This can be achieved in some areas of the U.S., so it's out there. I feel blessed that we live where we've been able to attain all of that (Charlotte area). My wife and I aren't rich, but we've been able to become debt-free (including our home) and retire early because the Buying Power here allowed us to save and invest over the years at a good clip without having to struggle. Plus we have the other things I listed here too. I always hope everyone can find what they're looking for, no matter where and what that is. Again, good thread. Really makes you think.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:28 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcitydreamer View Post
"quality of life" is highly subjective.

I think you must have missed this part of the OP's post.

Quote:
I know this subject comes up a lot as if everyone should have the same values. What does quality of life mean to you?
He's asking this as a subjective question for each individual as opposed to asking what is the general ideal for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or