U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 07:37 AM

5,612 posts, read 6,087,367 times

Advertisements

I know this subject comes up a lot as if everyone should have the same values. What does quality of life mean to you.

Cost of living to income ratio. Regardless of what my income is, if everyone is struggling to make ends and no one has anything to save or to spend, the city doesn't have any appeal.

It's also variety of economic opportunity so not everyone is chasing the same dollar.

I also look at public transportation and how accessible it is by walking.

Parks and bike lanes are important.

Frequency of hate crimes is a major issue especially if I am a minority in the area I choose to live.

Traffic flow and commute times.

Weather has become a major issue as I get older. My comfort level changes dramatically. Anything below 20 and above 90 becomes unbearable. I do like the change of seasons.

What about everyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 08:01 AM

3,784 posts, read 3,001,076 times
1. Am I safe? In an immediate physical sense too (shelter, water quality, government, etc.)
2. Am I able to provide for basic needs, or not have to worry about finances?
3. Do I have access to jobs I would like to work in? Resources to learn, and appreciate culture?
4. Is the area I live in a place where I feel welcomed and appreciated? Able to establish positive relationships?
5. Am I able to get around efficiently and without major headaches caused by mode of transport?
6. Do I have access to good medical facilities, healthy food options, and nature/recreation trails?
7. General enjoyment of the area in which I live (activities, events, attractions, etc.)
8. Miscellaneous factors (climate, airport, surrounding scenery, sports and culture venues, etc.)
Mostly in that order.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:30 AM

4,482 posts, read 2,663,831 times
Mine will revolve around transit, density, diversity (including international), and scale. I need to be in the center of a major urban city (mine is only starting to hit the right level). Some of that relates to jobs within walking distance, but it's also about a love of being in the middle of things. International and domestic air connections are big.

Scenery and access to forests and water is also a big deal. I should be able to get on my bike in the center of town and hit at wilderness in 20 miles as well as parks in town. Walking down the street should involve lots of topography and water in the foreground as well as the background.

Weather is a big deal too. I don't like the heat or cold...I wish my city's highs were in the 50s instead of around 40 in the winter, though we're good with summer highs in the 70s. The less wind the better.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:16 AM

40 posts, read 18,279 times
Safety (crimes), housing costs, schools, weather, diversity, frequency of natural disasters, shopping/restaurants (not Applebees but local and ethnic).

I don't really care for public transportation or biking since I do not rely too much on that. Other amenities are nice but those would be the main ones for me.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:56 AM

646 posts, read 310,444 times
My idea of quality of life is somewhat similar to what is said on this video. It's about the intangible things, the shared experiences, etc.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:07 PM

1,036 posts, read 785,868 times
High income / cost of living ratio.
Low crime.

Micropolitan areas such as Wooster seem to best meet this criteria.

Although I would like to move to an area with less snow, areas with desirable climates have high cost of living.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:21 PM

5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
High income / cost of living ratio.
Low crime.

Micropolitan areas such as Wooster seem to best meet this criteria.

Although I would like to move to an area with less snow, areas with desirable climates have high cost of living.
Not as much correlation as you might think! Especially among micropolitan areas.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:56 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,730,310 times
1. 4 distinct seasons
2. An American League baseball team

That's all I really care about.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:38 AM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times
To me, quality of life means owning a large property in a major city.

This is a difficult prize for most people to achieve.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:46 AM

4,849 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Fascinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or