U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2018, 02:44 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,132,956 times

Advertisements

NYC
LA
Chicago
Seattle
Nashville
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 1,321 times
Nyc
chicago
miami
dallas
los angeles

Old 12-25-2018, 08:55 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No, that could not be argued. Minneapolis is in eastern Minnesota, which is definitely considered a midwestern state. Most of eastern MN is forested, and the rest is tallgrass prairie. https://www.google.com/search?q=vege...rZUaalP_X3b7M:
It is 457 miles from Minneapolis to Winnipeg. Most people do not consider that "nearby". It is 33 miles from Denver to Idaho Springs, which is well into the mountains.
Add: The Great Plains city equivalent to Denver in Canada is Calgary. It's near Banff National Park. Calgary is 825 miles from Winnipeg, pretty much direct west. That's about the same distance as Minneapolis to Denver (913 mi) and Mpls is well north of Denver.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-25-2018 at 09:08 PM..

Old 12-26-2018, 07:00 AM

5,705 posts, read 5,100,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Something sounds a bit off in the bolded ......
But better for locals to answer it. I'll just say Boston is further along in gentrification. That alone can reduce populations in former poorer family neighborhoods and I always read Philly folks feel more effected by mighty NYC over the decades then Boston? Philly always has to fight harder to overcome negative stereotypes. Most negative and some it can even still own..... Also Philly maintained its African-American % unlike even other Northern and Midwestern cities.

I never saw Boston seeing Itself greatly overshadowed by NYC? More it maintained its stature and status as the Elite higher education city of the Nation also. No one should deny though, Philly is still increasing its own muscle today .... and seeing itself as more a NYC alternative with proximity to it.

But still locals can better claim if your assessment it more true for them?
Philadelphia had a harder time in the latter half of the 20th century than Boston and more negative stereotypes developed as a result, but I don't think anyone puts Boston ahead of Philadelphia in terms of power/ influence especially in the Northeast (if that is what you were referring to).

Boston is more geographically and culturally separated from the Mid Atlantic cities and a much smaller city compared to NYC and PHL, and soon DC.

But if we are looking at Boston and Philadelphia, I think most would agree that Philadelphia has a brighter future, because it has a lot more room to grow/ improve and it is a much larger more connected city. Honestly, I think Philadelphia has the most potential out of any American city to be next in line after NYC, however its leadership is horrendous and holding the city back from its ultimate potential.
The city has come such a long way, but any groundbreaking changes will not happen until council and mayor is replaced. OR the universities and top business leaders and innovation people need to keep pushing for 21st century thinking.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:20 PM

7,581 posts, read 3,994,519 times
I'd recommend Greenville and Charleston for growing medium sized metros and Greenwood SC for a nice small town.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:40 PM

6,626 posts, read 5,044,346 times
1. New York City
2. New Orleans
3. Las Vegas
4. Nashville
5. Seattle

Old 12-31-2018, 03:50 PM

10,779 posts, read 9,411,925 times
1. Boston (represents early history of region) - could sub Philly
2. New York (represents the melting pot) - could sub Chicago
3. Miami (represents Florida and Spanish influence) - could sub San Antonio
4. New Orleans (represents Black/White South) - could sub Atlanta
5. San Francisco (represents West Coast) - could sub LA
6. Las Vegas (represents consumptionism & pure tourist traps) - could sub Atlantic City/Branson/other tourist traps

Last edited by cBach; 12-31-2018 at 04:01 PM..

Old 01-01-2019, 01:25 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,857,680 times
In my opinion (which I respect very much), the Dolphin humbly selects these cities:

Northwest: Philadelphia, the birthplace of our nation, great hoagies and art museums. Feels most European. Walkable. More compact than NYC. Or somewhere in Downeast ME (not Bar Harbor) which has remained true to its roots.

Southeast: Savannah. I like the squares and architecture and vibe. Feels both French and American.

Midwest: Detroit or Chicago. Detroit for its vibrant come-back and Chicago because it's big, sprawling and quintessentially American. The Great Lakes!

Mountain: Hard choice, this one. I'll go with Boulder, a vibrant smaller city with easy access to the Rockies

West: Oakland, CA because it's the most ethnically diverse city in the USA and has easy transit to where everyone left their heart across the Bay.

etc. Princeville, Kauai and Mt. Ranier, WA because they are so beautiful and unique and opposite ends of the spectrum in illustrating America's geographic grandeur...

Old 01-01-2019, 04:24 PM

3,554 posts, read 1,181,509 times
New York City - Wealthy extreme

Detroit - Impoverished extreme

Chicago - If NYC and Detroit had a baby

Atlanta - Southeast lifestyle/culture

Dallas - Southwest lifestyle/culture

Old 01-01-2019, 06:11 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
1. Boston (represents early history of region) - could sub Philly
2. New York (represents the melting pot) - could sub Chicago
3. Miami (represents Florida and Spanish influence) - could sub San Antonio
4. New Orleans (represents Black/White South) - could sub Atlanta
5. San Francisco (represents West Coast) - could sub LA
6. Las Vegas (represents consumptionism & pure tourist traps) - could sub Atlantic City/Branson/other tourist traps
If we could name 10 cities, or maybe even 8, I'd go for Boston and NYC. Since we can only do 5, take out one of them. Ditto Miami/New Orleans. Add a mountain states city-Boise, Salt Lake, Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or