U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 06:59 AM

29,966 posts, read 27,480,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguitar View Post
Atlanta does not represent the US at all, lived here for a while and even went to high school here. High gay and feminist population, high black population (only 13% of America is black), a lot of strictly religious folks in the suburbs and a lot of suburbs meant for each immigrant group.

I'd say the best cities that represent the US are midwestern cities because they represent a lot of people from flyover country.
All of those groups in Atlanta have had substantial impacts on the cultural and physical landscape of America, particularly within the context of the American South. I'm not saying that Atlanta has to be included in the five cities, but that's certainly enough reason to include it. Furthermore, major cities will generally have higher populations of minority groups compared to the nation as a whole; that's not unique to Atlanta.

Selecting five cities from the same region of the country wouldn't be representative of America as a whole at all.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 01-02-2019 at 07:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 07:46 AM

10,827 posts, read 9,465,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
So take NYC out.

I would guess you've been to none of them.
Wrong again. I've lived in SF, been to NYC/LA/Boston many times.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:03 AM

87,045 posts, read 102,757,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Wrong again. I've lived in SF, been to NYC/LA/Boston many times.
I see you haven't been to Boise. How about Salt Lake or Denver? These cities are nothing like SF/LA. The thing is, if the limit is 5 cities, you're pretty constrained.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:26 PM

1,521 posts, read 533,180 times
Quote:
I see you haven't been to Boise. How about Salt Lake or Denver? These cities are nothing like SF/LA. The thing is, if the limit is 5 cities, you're pretty constrained.
I have been to Salt Lake City (and am a native of Southern California) Salt Lake City/Park City felt a ton like Santa Clarita or the San Bernardino/Riverside area. Literally no difference except SLC was colder and with more Mormons.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I have been to Salt Lake City (and am a native of Southern California) Salt Lake City/Park City felt a ton like Santa Clarita or the San Bernardino/Riverside area. Literally no difference except SLC was colder and with more Mormons.
Denver?

Old 01-02-2019, 07:51 PM

5,595 posts, read 3,733,916 times
How about taking five regions in the U.S. and determining the best in each? This is how it would play out IMO:

Northeast: New York City
Southeast: Atlanta
Midwest: Chicago
Southwest: Los Angeles
Northwest: Seattle

I know this will create some arguments. And that is what I am hoping for!

Old 01-03-2019, 08:43 AM

10,827 posts, read 9,465,248 times
Quote:
I've been to both SLC and Denver.

SLC seemed like Santa Clarita. Denver seemed like some places in the Central Valley with the brown grass and arid environment.

The mountains of CO seemed like Tahoe. So California is a good representation and SF gets the ocean and mountain vibe going. I stand by my choices.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:

SLC seemed like Santa Clarita. Denver seemed like some places in the Central Valley with the brown grass and arid environment.

The mountains of CO seemed like Tahoe. So California is a good representation and SF gets the ocean and mountain vibe going. I stand by my choices.
Fine. We will have to agree to disagree.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Denver?
I have never been to Denver; it may be 180 degrees from Salt Lake City, I don't know. But Salt Lake City is very similar to Santa Clarita, Riverside, or San Bernardino/Inland Empire; you'd agree, right?

Old 01-03-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Yes! This is what I'm trying to say. The West (except for Alaska and Hawaii) is basically a giant extension of California.

California has all the major regions of the West: Pacific Northwest fog and redwoods (near Eureka), Mountain West skiing, with 300 inches of snow, mostly powder (near Tahoe and Mammoth Mountain), a mini-Yellowstone (Lassen National Park's geothermal activity), the Desert Southwest (Mojave and Sonoran deserts, including Victorville and Palm Springs).

And SLC totally is just Santa Clarita or the Inland Empire with more Mormons and snow! Let's not forget the large Mormon population in the Inland Empire, or the fact that the San Bernardino Mountains actually rival the Wasatch Range in height and ruggedness. It's not like Utah has its own special accent or special food different from California, unlike Louisiana, with its creole and cajun food and Southern accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or