U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 01:48 PM

4,479 posts, read 2,661,399 times

Advertisements

Honeywell is a $40 billion company in sales, so that's a big deal.

Looking into it, the HQ will total about 750 people and be temporarily located Downtown (or that PR name they use for it locally), but will also consider suburban locations...Ballantyn (looks extremely sprawly) and SouthPark (suburban but some urbanism aspects).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 07:40 PM

333 posts, read 105,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I'm fleeing the East Coast and heading to the Midwest (St. Louis area or Columbus, Ohio). Seems like a lot of companies are moving away from the coasts for the more affordable communities in the Midwest.

Lots of opportunities there, and a more laid-back lifestyle.

And yeah, the "click bait" is horrendous.
Anything north of VA that is. Lots of new business are heading to the Carolinas and Georgia due to lots of sprawl and cheaper land compared to the Northeast.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I feel that NJ is too desirable for most people, so I don't think a lot of people are fleeing NJ. People only flee NJ to move to NYC.

Throughout US history, most Easterners flee to the West. Most Northeasterners are fleeing South, but recently most Northeasterners are not going deeply south to Florida, they are moving to places like the Carolinas. The generations are changing when it comes to retirement. Most people my parent's age are retiring from the East to places out West like Las Vegas and most do not retire to Florida as the Boomers did. They are moving to the Carolinas and not as deeply south. The Northeastern Boomers move to Florida or Arizona (out West).
That's pretty true. There's a reason why Flordia is often stereotyped as being for old people when there are actually lots of people in there 30s and 40s that move to Flordia. Most people I know from Flordia are under 50. As far as the west goes it's ironic how California went from being the state everyone wanted to move to now being a state everyone is leaving. For West Coasters it's moving back east (southwest and Rockies) while Northeasterners and Midwesterners to some extent are going down south).

Old 12-02-2018, 06:43 AM

44,673 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Anything north of VA that is. Lots of new business are heading to the Carolinas and Georgia due to lots of sprawl and cheaper land compared to the Northeast.
I doubt that companies are moving to the Carolinas and Georgia because of sprawl. Maybe lower cost of land, materials, and possibly labor, but "sprawl" is not the reason they're moving to those states. Oh and while we're at it, many companies are also moving to Tennessee as well, in that region. All those states are sort of booming right now and I think that's great for their economies.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I doubt that companies are moving to the Carolinas and Georgia because of sprawl. Maybe lower cost of land, materials, and possibly labor, but "sprawl" is not the reason they're moving to those states. Oh and while we're at it, many companies are also moving to Tennessee as well, in that region. All those states are sort of booming right now and I think that's great for their economies.
It is because most of the cites south of the mason-dixon line are newer and more sprawl so lots of businesses from the northeast come to VA, NC, SC, GA and FL come and open up their shops down south. Florida has a wawa which is a Mid-Atlantic gas station, GA has a golden crust which is a NYC area chain, and there's a ton of NY pizza spots throughout the South-Alantic.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:07 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
It is because most of the cites south of the mason-dixon line are newer and more sprawl so lots of businesses from the northeast come to VA, NC, SC, GA and FL come and open up their shops down south. Florida has a wawa which is a Mid-Atlantic gas station, GA has a golden crust which is a NYC area chain, and there's a ton of NY pizza spots throughout the South-Alantic.
Newness and sprawl have nothing to do with business expansion of companies from the Northeast. It's due to population growth and opportunity to advance the business. Furthermore growth and sprawl aren't intertwined all across the Southeast, as many progressive municipalities via the observance of what has happened elsewhere have instituted planning/zoning measures to prevent the same mistakes.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:19 PM

896 posts, read 656,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
but someone would have to pay me to move somewhere like Oregon or Colorado that is getting overrun with transplants and there is no amount of money that would convince me to move to Nevada.
Why not Nevada? No state income tax.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:30 AM

229 posts, read 122,684 times
Default Lending Tree State Migration Study

An interesting article on migration from Lending Tree.. ....take it for what it's worth...

https://www.lendingtree.com/home/mor...31289338&a=431
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or