Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 12:43 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Asheville proper is very liberal. Once you start getting outside the city limits, and especially Buncombe County, it starts trending more rural mountain Southern.

Depends on who you know there. I know quite a few people in Asheville who are active in a very conservative church; they're definitely not liberals. That's Billy Graham's part of the world. But I also know quite a few crunchy people there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 01:24 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,233 times
Helpful guide to the different kinds of conservatives. The first one on the list is the "crunchy conservative".

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-are-t...atives-3303480

Old 11-28-2018, 04:13 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Greenville SC might work for you. It is 1 hour 20 minutes south of Asheville near the Blue Ridge mountains. Warmer winters than Asheville.

visitgreenvillesc.com

Old 11-29-2018, 12:31 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Look at Florida. It has the mild weather and great scenic beauty. It's a Purple state politically. It is very affordable in many areas. It's the flattest US state and people drive slowly (lots of retirees!) so driving isn't scary. Lots of fresh food and outdoor health consciousness---the sunshine alone improves mood. Very live-and-let-live laws re homeschooling. Plenty of jobs. Many churchgoing people.
LMAO...heavens, no. I live in FL and it's not even close to "crunchy".

Old 11-29-2018, 04:54 AM

730 posts, read 813,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
LMAO...heavens, no. I live in FL and it's not even close to "crunchy".
Not to mention there's nothing mild about Florida summers, either, which the OP specifically stated.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:09 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
From the Urban Dictionary:

crunchy
Adjective. Used to describe persons who have adjusted or altered their lifestyle for environmental reasons. Crunchy persons tend to be politically strongly left-leaning and may be additionally but not exclusively categorized as vegetarians, vegans, eco-tarians, conservationists, environmentalists, neo-hippies, tree huggers, nature enthusiasts, etc.

Also used to describe establishments where alternative foods and products are sold, i.e. natural food stores.

Modified derivative of granola.
"I need more crunchy guys in my life. I'm so tired of dating preppy metrosexual *******s."

"I'm heading out to the crunchy store to pick up some fair trade chocolate and tea tree oil, do you need anything?"
#crunchie#granola#neo-hippie#environmentalist#conservationist

Someone mention Colorado Springs earlier. Crunchy might fit the bill in more central and western areas of the city and northern parts of the city for conservative, home school, church going, conservative. The area is politically and fiscally conservative but socially moderate to liberal, to call it in a nutshell.

But, depending on the OP's perception of mild weather, Colo Spgs may or may not qualify. It does get occasional raging snow storms. It does have stretches of freezing temps. It does get stretches of 90*+ during the summer. It does occasionally get afternoon thundershowers that cool things off, but can also bring damaging hail. All of this occurs in a 10-20% humidity range, so it feels less intense than it might in other places. Both seasons are mild by mid-western standards, but not by Carolina standards. Winter weather could make driving a challenge. Also, because of the high percentage of transplants here, up to 54% or more, there is no consistent driving habits and we are a mash up of CA aggressive, MA blink and you loose, FL meandering around, and TX gawking at the scenery as it goes by. This results in a high number of traffic accidents and higher insurance rates for everyone.

Affordability of housing is still around but disappearing rapidly as it becomes one of the hotter real estate markets in the country. Decent places under $350k are still found if you look. In large part this escalating real estate market is due to job growth, recreational activities, and the natural scenery around the area. We also are seeing a lot of spill over from the Denver housing market as well.

Overall cost of living is average. Housing cost is rising. House and car insurance is higher than average. Gasoline and groceries tend to be a bit below average. I've know a few single income families who have made it work it, but it does limit access to some of the variety of activities available locally. Colo Spgs has been a tourist destination for 150 years. It has access to plenty of opportunities to get out and play. It has 11% of the city that is designated parkland in both traditional manicured grass and more natural wild land interface. With the Olympic Center here, we get national and international athletes regularly training in the area. There are a lot of very nice aspects of the region, but it is dry, with rapidly rising costs, a sometimes apathetic local government, and increasing population density, bringing both the good and bad aspects of population increases.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:07 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,533,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Greenville SC might work for you. It is 1 hour 20 minutes south of Asheville near the Blue Ridge mountains. Warmer winters than Asheville.

visitgreenvillesc.com
I second Greenville, SC.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:43 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
TCHP’s characterization of the unpredictable mashup of driving styles also applies to other parts of CO besides Colospigs.

The “MA blink and you lose” style of driving is a superbly accurate depiction of what it’s like to drive in the Boston area. And that style was palpably spreading outward the last time I visited there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.