U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 04:52 PM

533 posts, read 89,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Chronologically I moved back from:

San Diego because I was naive and thought I had the real world figured out, didn't, and thought the best move was to come back. Probably a dumb move. Should've stayed.

Florida because I had an internship there, it ended, and although I could've gotten an actual job through my boss I just kinda preferred Nashville over it. No regrets there.

LA because bc myself and a long time girlfriend broke up and I moved back to clear my head, thinking that was going to help. In retrospect it probably was also the wrong move. Should've just stayed and rolled with the punches.

Seattle was recent and weird because I had an onset of crippling anxiety and the only thing that helped was moving back. I can't really say that was right or wrong.

There's my dirty laundry haha. That being said I wouldn't have the perspective on things like I do if I wouldn't have hopped around and seen different places and people.

1. Sounds about like me when I left L.A. in the 80s. Should've stayed. Even the bank teller wondered why the heck I was leaving, and why leaving for the place where I was going (I returned to KS where my folks decided to retire after leaving the AF. That move didn't even last a year).

2. Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 06:03 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,568,800 times
From what you've said in your OP, you do not need to go to California. The COL will kill you. You need to look into the DFW area. Mesquite has relatively affordable housing and the "mid cities" between D & FW. Growing fast and lots of job opportunities. You sound like someone who does not (or cannot) afford an area with fast growing property values but need good job prospects. In that respect DFW has both of those covered for you. And yes, I have lived in the Dallas area. It's pretty bland, and not a very pretty area. However, it has lots of jobs, opportunity and housing is relatively cheap. Plus, no income tax.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:24 PM

58 posts, read 43,897 times
FWIW, I'm not a native, but I've lived in Nashville 4 years and am in the process of applying for jobs in many other cities for a number of reasons, including, but not limited to, job prospects (particularly since salaries are not increasing to compensate for the rising cost of living), increase in crime, city losing (lost?) its charm, at least by my standard, and no longer a good fit for what I'm looking for at this point in my life. I LOVED Nashville when I first moved here, but the allure has definitely worn off. I was also in my 20s and now I'm in my 30s, so I guess maybe my priorities have changed.

I'm looking at 6-8 cities that vary in size, geographical location and affordability, but 75% of my choices have a higher COL than Nashville (though those cities also pay much better for what I do). I don't have family in the area, so that's not a factor for me. Of the natives I know who grew up in the area (primarily Franklin & Brentwood), they have zero desire to relocate and plan to stay here for the foreseeable future. If I had family in the area, I'd probably be more inclined to try and stick it out. Cities I'm focusing on are in the Carolinas (3 cities), a couple in the Mountain West, one in the PNW & one in New England.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:45 PM

1,581 posts, read 1,505,315 times
A lot of overthinking here. If you wanna move, move.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:33 PM

23 posts, read 20,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
From what you've said in your OP, you do not need to go to California. The COL will kill you. You need to look into the DFW area. Mesquite has relatively affordable housing and the "mid cities" between D & FW. Growing fast and lots of job opportunities. You sound like someone who does not (or cannot) afford an area with fast growing property values but need good job prospects. In that respect DFW has both of those covered for you. And yes, I have lived in the Dallas area. It's pretty bland, and not a very pretty area. However, it has lots of jobs, opportunity and housing is relatively cheap. Plus, no income tax.
Ugh Dallas a little too bland, cold, and dull for me. I think I would much prefer Houston out of any of the Texan cities tbh. I won't rule Dallas out though, but it's not in my top 5 list.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
A lot of overthinking here. If you wanna move, move.
It's scary when everybody I know is trying to convince me otherwise and you also have a lot of new people here talking about how great Nashville is which makes you second guess.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprtsJunkie88 View Post
FWIW, I'm not a native, but I've lived in Nashville 4 years and am in the process of applying for jobs in many other cities for a number of reasons, including, but not limited to, job prospects (particularly since salaries are not increasing to compensate for the rising cost of living), increase in crime, city losing (lost?) its charm, at least by my standard, and no longer a good fit for what I'm looking for at this point in my life. I LOVED Nashville when I first moved here, but the allure has definitely worn off. I was also in my 20s and now I'm in my 30s, so I guess maybe my priorities have changed.

I'm looking at 6-8 cities that vary in size, geographical location and affordability, but 75% of my choices have a higher COL than Nashville (though those cities also pay much better for what I do). I don't have family in the area, so that's not a factor for me. Of the natives I know who grew up in the area (primarily Franklin & Brentwood), they have zero desire to relocate and plan to stay here for the foreseeable future. If I had family in the area, I'd probably be more inclined to try and. stick it out. Cities I'm focusing on are in the Carolinas (3 cities), a couple in the Mountain West, one in the PNW & one in New England.
I agree, there's really no room for growth in my industry. The only jobs I see are Insurance sales, sales, and recruiter jobs(aka sales). The cost of living has increased and I've been to so many other places that I wouldn't dare pay the price of rent near downtown. I do like Franklin & Brentwood, but those areas are increasing as well. I've been to Raleigh and Charlotte, but I like Charlotte more because I just prefer bigger cities. I've been to Seattle and Portland in the PNW and I have never been to New England.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:48 PM

1,581 posts, read 1,505,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleBoy View Post
It's scary when everybody I know is trying to convince me otherwise and you also have a lot of new people here talking about how great Nashville is which makes you second guess.
Well that's understandable but people aren't going to just unanimously be like "Oh yeah you should definitely move away". A lot of people obviously like it here so when someone who has recently moved here, really likes it, and is drinking the Nashville kool aid, they'll think you're crazy for wanting to leave, but you grew up here, they didn't. To you it's just a place you've been forever. When I moved to Seattle most recently I just laughed it off like yeah everyone's coming here but leave it to me to be one that moves out (Ironically Seattle is growing faster than we are so I was part of their problem but anyway). I don't know how old you are (for reference I'm 33) but you sound like me the first time I moved away and over the last 11 or whatever years I've realized that you really can't plan what should or shouldn't happen once you move away voluntarily, as opposed to work or something. Life just happens. If you do it you'll look back on this stuff once you get settled and laugh at how naive you were before you really knew how things were gonna be on a daily basis for you in a new place.

I thought about all kinds of places like Denver, Phoenix, and Seattle (ironically) among others before I decided to move away the first time to San Diego. I handled things like an idiot after awhile and came back for the first of several times but to me, moving out there was still the right thing to do. No one can take it away from you even if you come back in 2 months or 20 years. I think that it's natural for people to want to move away from their hometown/home area/whatever, but the ones who really have no desire to seriously do it know they aren't going to and are content to stay where they are. No real desire to be anywhere else. You sound like someone who won't be content unless you try it out. Not trying to sound like a therapist, but it just sounds similar to what I went through and who knows, might again.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:15 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,930,687 times
Great thread. Totally can relate. I moved from Charlotte to Phoenix 5 years ago today. Best move of my life. Charlotte is my home, born and bred, but when I was there, I hated it. I think I had outgrown the city and the people. Transplants raved about Charlotte and how much they loved it.....Cost of living in Charlotte has definitely gone up. IMO, just not worth it. Charlotte is very cliquish...Since moving to Phoenix, its been definitely a good move personally and professionally for me....Don't miss the Southeast not one bit. The West is where is at.!!!...Good luck!

Old 12-11-2018, 12:46 PM

281 posts, read 175,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleBoy View Post

People are constantly telling me how great California is (Cali Kool-aid) and that's not making me second guess moving out of here! Do what's best for YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.