U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 02:03 PM

401 posts, read 207,272 times

Advertisements

I'll admit that I didn't read all of the responses, but, I'm a Nashville native and moved to DFW in March. It is definitely bland; the sunrises and sunsets are beautiful, though.

As far as COL goes, I think it's high in comparison to Nashville. I was prepared for the property taxes, but, to my surprise, it seems everything else is more expensive here as well. Rent is very high, car insurance, utilities etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 06:27 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,566,737 times
Agreed! I love Dallas and like Ft. Worth a tad better, but not because they're in beautiful parts of the country. You have to look for the beauty, and it often has a lot to do with sunrises/sunsets.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:07 PM

67 posts, read 50,250 times
why would anyone move from Nashville to DFW? The Dallas metroplex is larger. There is zero natural beauty in Dallas.
Avoid DFW, that's my advice.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:32 PM

1,581 posts, read 1,503,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlwhip View Post
why would anyone move from Nashville to DFW? The Dallas metroplex is larger. There is zero natural beauty in Dallas.
For some people that might be a selling point.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:06 PM

401 posts, read 207,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlwhip View Post
Job opportunities. There are many high paying jobs in DFW that Nashville doesn't have.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:37 AM

53 posts, read 34,780 times
I moved to Orlando the first of January in 2012, right before Nashville become the hot spot it is now. Living in Orlando has it's advantages over Nashville, but I would be lying if I said I didn't miss Nashville. I was born and raised in Nashville and for reference I'm 31. My reason for leaving was because Nashville felt like a slow city (little did I know Orlando was slower), not much room for growth job wise, and generally grew bored of something I've known all my life.

Vacationing in Orlando was great and that's what peaked my interest. The tourism corridor was beautiful and fun, beaches and cruise ports (with resident discounts) in close proximity, and nice weather (in most cases central Florida isn't terribly damaged by hurricanes). Now after living here for a few years, I've learned the local pains. Taking yourself outside of the tourism industry and all it has to offer, the city doesn't have as much to offer as Nashville does nor does it really have it's own identity. The neighborhoods, towns, and districts here don't really offer much more than sub par food that the locals rave about and your usual national shops with some thriving local shops. Granted they have a few neat farmers/flea markets, food truck gatherings, and random events, but in my opinion they can't contend with what Nashville offered. Orlando's history and culture isn't as rich as what I'm used to also. There are a couple historical sites here and there, but for the most part it feels like land that everyone flocked to once Disney World was built (which is exactly what it is). The food scene is trying to make a name for itself, but there are very few local spots I'd rave about. Higher education is slowly working it's way up in recent years, despite having one of the largest universities, UCF. They're currently building the first phase of a new campus in downtown Orlando which should be finished this year. Unlike Nashville, currently Orlando isn't cranking out many graduates therefore higher paying jobs and larger companies aren't as prevalent. While it's relatively lower than Nashville, cost of living is going up while job wages aren't particularly reflecting that. Because Orlando is beginning a similar boom as Nashville is experiencing, the existing traffic issues are becoming a growing pain. In the midst of the city's growth, they're doing construction on our one and only interstate in the city, I-4, to accommodate the growth. That should be done in 2021 or 2022. We have the Greenway Belt that goes around the very outskirts of the city, but it is a toll road which is a little more pricey than what it should be for Orlando. In most cases to get to a relatively close destination, it takes about 20min to 45min due to traffic and traffic light timing. You also have several different types of drivers down here trying to coexist, locals and thousands of tourists. All that said... Orlando is not a bad city, even though I only pointed out most of the negative lol, but those are the things people should know. If you want to know more I'll be glad to fill you in.

Would I move back to Nashville? Definitely, but I would miss the beaches and tourism industry Orlando offers. If I could take the city of Nashville and put here in place of Orlando I would. Every city has it's pros and cons and it all really comes down to what you're looking for and want in life. Nashville is such a great city and will always be home to me. I miss Nashville's culture and history, the food, events and entertainment/arts, the city layout, the familiarity, and so much more.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:47 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,843,371 times
Chicago-->Murfreesboro/Franklin-->Phoenix/Mesa-->North DFW.

My favorite place has been middle tennessee. I would move back but I have a good career in DFW.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:15 PM

295 posts, read 105,972 times
OP: Im in Florida and for what it's worth, I think Nashville is wayyyyyyy better.

Whatever you think is a problem in Nashville is also a problem in Florida. Im not entirely sure why people continue to pick Florida to move to, when I feel like there are multiple better cities in the south to choose from (Nashville included).

There are more opportunities in Nashville, and the economy there seems to be improving much faster than Florida cities. My job here is pretty good, but I feel like the people my age in Florida seem a little less driven and motivated than the people I knew in Nashville, most of which were very hopeful about improving their situations.

Cost of living may be similar, but I found everything outside of rent to be far more expensive in Florida than TN. Salaries tend to be lower in Florida cities as well.

I can't speak to Texas, however I think it would probably be better career wise than Florida.

Ultimately, where I move would probably come down to my economic opportunity in the place that I am moving to. I guess we all move for different reasons. I guess the grass is always greener.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:54 PM

578 posts, read 373,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
OP: Im not entirely sure why people continue to pick Florida to move to

For some strange reason, it's weather related. Likewise, I'm in Florida and detest it.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:15 PM

53 posts, read 34,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
For some strange reason, it's weather related. Likewise, I'm in Florida and detest it.
I stay inside during the summer months lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.