U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 2,354 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

I've been in Northern California my whole life and am looking for a change. I'm in my early 30's with a wife and two kids. Here's some details around what I'm looking for:

1) Conservative (can be moderately conservative or very conservative)
2) Low Crime
3) Family-Oriented
4) Low-Mid Cost of Living
5) Avoiding natural disasters (we've done the fire and flood thing and don't want to be in a place where this is an ongoing thing)
6) Low Traffic/Commute times
7) Decent Air Quality
8) A city somewhere near (within 30 mins)

Open to most weather, but do enjoy sunshine. We enjoy going to restaurants as well. I can work from home remotely as a project manager or find a new job if needed.

Open to any suggestions! Been researching and it's a little overwhelming. Hoping for some help!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 03:51 PM

21,193 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Greenville-Spartanburg SC would be a match for all of your criteria and I would categorize as moderately conservative to centrist overall. If you need to be near a large city the Huntersville-Cornelius-Davidson area north of Charlotte would be another suggestion.

Last edited by kyle19125; 12-02-2018 at 04:16 PM..

Old 12-04-2018, 08:59 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,529,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Greenville-Spartanburg SC would be a match for all of your criteria and I would categorize as moderately conservative to centrist overall. If you need to be near a large city the Huntersville-Cornelius-Davidson area north of Charlotte would be another suggestion.
I would agree with Greenville/Spartanburg and Charlotte as well. I'd throw in Knoxville, TN too. They're all 3 close to the overall criteria you mentioned and are all great areas.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:39 AM

94 posts, read 31,147 times
If you want to stay in the West, Spokane and Boise are good options.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:35 AM

3,083 posts, read 2,118,023 times
How radical a change is acceptable?

Moving from CA to the east coast is a pretty significant culture and climate shift. Eastern Humidity, heat, greenery, and bugs could be very drastic. I seem to recall reading somewhere that CA has mosquito control programs that eradicate the monsters over 75% of the CA population. Coming from that environment to one where skeeters are the size of small birds could really freak out your kids.

Similar climates to CA without the population density, property costs, and natural disaster risks are leading a large influx of transplants to the inter-mountain west; ID, MT, NV, AZ, and CO tend to popular spots for former Californians.

On the other hand, one of the safest areas in the US for lack of natural disasters tends to be up in the Dakotas, Minnesota , Wisconson area. But, it is a considerable change in cultural identity from CA, even NorCal.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:47 AM

887 posts, read 441,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibberishballr View Post
Hey Everyone!

I've been in Northern California my whole life and am looking for a change. I'm in my early 30's with a wife and two kids. Here's some details around what I'm looking for:

1) Conservative (can be moderately conservative or very conservative)
2) Low Crime
3) Family-Oriented
4) Low-Mid Cost of Living
5) Avoiding natural disasters (we've done the fire and flood thing and don't want to be in a place where this is an ongoing thing)
6) Low Traffic/Commute times
7) Decent Air Quality
8) A city somewhere near (within 30 mins)

Open to most weather, but do enjoy sunshine. We enjoy going to restaurants as well. I can work from home remotely as a project manager or find a new job if needed.

Open to any suggestions! Been researching and it's a little overwhelming. Hoping for some help!

Thanks in advance!
I have a couple of recommendations:

Duluth, MN area
Madison, WI area
Grand Rapids, MI area

Although Duluth is very liberal, outside of Duluth is a great choice. Far more nature driven and in the presence of Lake Superior.

I think somewhere outside of Madison, WI would suit you well as well. Madison itself is fairly liberal, but once outside of the city's sphere of influence, you will find rural communities that share a conservative view.

Outside of Grand Rapid, MI is a good choice too.

None of the recommendations are particularly sunny, but fulfill your other requirements very well.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:14 PM

2,536 posts, read 1,827,802 times
I'll add eastern Tennessee as a possibility. We are 40 miles from Knoxville, and 20 from the Smoky Mountains. There are many rivers and lakes.
There is snow skiing in Gatlinburg in the winter. Tons of outdoor activity, strong economy, low COL.
Check it out.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:50 PM

11,881 posts, read 32,916,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I'll add eastern Tennessee as a possibility. We are 40 miles from Knoxville, and 20 from the Smoky Mountains. There are many rivers and lakes.
There is snow skiing in Gatlinburg in the winter. Tons of outdoor activity, strong economy, low COL.
Check it out.
No, the economy of East Tennessee is not strong. In the last year, the Knoxville MSA has lost 1,100 jobs, the Cleveland MSA has lost 2,060 jobs, the Morristown MSA has lost 490 jobs, and the Johnson City MSA has lost 610 jobs. The only two metro areas that have gained jobs are Kingsport-Bristol (570) and Chattanooga (an impressive 4,070). Otherwise, 2/3 of the job growth in Tennessee is in the Nashville area.

Chattanooga meets the OP's criteria except for crime, although, truthfully, most of the crime is concentrated in just a few neighborhoods.

I'd also recommend Cookeville although it might be too small for the OP.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 12-16-2018, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,354 times
I appreciate all of the responses so far. North Carolina is feeling like a fit as we look through the options

Old 12-16-2018, 11:36 PM

3,664 posts, read 6,486,552 times
Asheville, NC. You and your family would love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or