U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 10:24 AM

6,559 posts, read 3,659,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Do we have a list we can go by?

To make it simple, I'd live along or north of the Ohio River (essentially anywhere), I could do the MO big cities, and even though I haven't been to them, I could probably handle places like Omaha, Des Moines, and the Quad Cities too. Wichita is a pretty solid no for me though.
You sound like a river person at heart. Sometimes the environment trumps the COL.
I lived 35 years overlooking the Missouri River so I could do that for another two -- Jefferson City, MO or maybe another small town (Hermann, Boonville, Washington). I have roots there. But - I fell in love with the desert so I'm about 15 miles north of Albuquerque where I'll stay for the duration. Overlooking the Rio Grande now. COL is much the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 10:31 AM

5,612 posts, read 6,088,992 times
St. Louis because of its reasonable walkability, useful lrt system, very easy to get around in and a thriving arts community.

Minneapolis isn't on anyone's affordability list but you get what you pay for in that city. The city seems very healthy and prosperous with usable lrt system and some decent walkable neighborhoods. If it wasn't so cold, I would be living there now.

Cleveland just seems like a nice place with a good arts community as well as super easy to get around in with a nice downtown. I am not sure how useful their rapid rail is but it seems like a cool city.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:38 AM

1,269 posts, read 748,481 times
Well I'll be moving to Lynchburg, VA in a few months, which I believe has the lowest cost of living out of anywhere I've ever lived. Don't think I'll live there forever, but you never know. I'd like to be a bit closer to the ocean eventually. But for the next few years, Lynchburg is perfectly fine.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:10 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,416,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
You sound like a river person at heart. Sometimes the environment trumps the COL.
I lived 35 years overlooking the Missouri River so I could do that for another two -- Jefferson City, MO or maybe another small town (Hermann, Boonville, Washington). I have roots there. But - I fell in love with the desert so I'm about 15 miles north of Albuquerque where I'll stay for the duration. Overlooking the Rio Grande now. COL is much the same.
I feel like I could go sit and stare at them for hours on end. Thankfully, it seems that I have plenty of places to choose from with low COL's, even though that's not nearly as much of an issue for me as it could be. Low COL just adds to the appeal of some of these places IMO.

I lived in another desert (Mojave) for 3 years (with very low COL), and it does kind of take you in and stay a part of you, even long after you leave. I still love the long sweeping vistas that abruptly end at the foot of mountains. Good stuff.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:26 AM

17,669 posts, read 4,066,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Midland's COL is out the roof right now due to the oil boom. It's not even comparable to Waco though I'm not familiar with the other metros you listed. But there is no way on God's green earth that I'd move to Midland considering what you get (or rather, DON'T get) for your money there right now.
ya your rite about Midland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or