U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 09:14 AM

41 posts, read 8,654 times

Advertisements

I thought the term "Mid-Atlantic" stuck with the primary region being Washington DC metropolitan region, a.k.a. DMV region. Everything directly and immediately north of the Baltimore/DC region could be classified Northeast, while everywhere directly immediately south of it could be classified Southeast and there would be no need for the "Mid Atlantic" term otherwise.

So, I'm surprised of the questioning that Virginia is included in the definition of "Mid-Atlantic", when it's most populated area, Northern Virginia, is part of the DC region.

When Comcast bought out the HTS cable network - a regional sports network for the DC and Baltimore local sports teams, Comcast renamed it Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic. It has since been renamed to NBC Sports Washington, though.

AAA's division of it's AAA Mid Atlantic largely includes the DC region, and areas of Virginia, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 09:23 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,978 posts, read 3,461,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What did you expect with all the New York and New Jersey expats moving there? They're embarrassed to live in the South so they just change the definition.

Same thing has happened in Maryland with people who move here denying its Southern roots and insisting it's actually a Northeastern state like Massachusetts or New Jersey.
Maryland was never really a Southern bastion, although it no doubt had slaves and southern culture long ago. It really always was a borderline or buffer zone between both. This is prior to all these expats even moving to the state.

But Maryland is not the mid-Atlantic state in question here to this thread.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
I thought the term "Mid-Atlantic" stuck with the primary region being Washington DC metropolitan region, a.k.a. DMV region. Everything directly and immediately north of the Baltimore/DC region could be classified Northeast, while everywhere directly immediately south of it could be classified Southeast and there would be no need for the "Mid Atlantic" term otherwise.

So, I'm surprised of the questioning that Virginia is included in the definition of "Mid-Atlantic", when it's most populated area, Northern Virginia, is part of the DC region.

When Comcast bought out the HTS cable network - a regional sports network for the DC and Baltimore local sports teams, Comcast renamed it Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic. It has since been renamed to NBC Sports Washington, though.

AAA's division of it's AAA Mid Atlantic largely includes the DC region, and areas of Virginia, as well.
Precisely. I don't know if it's for marketing purposes or business or what, but the modern accepted perception of the mid-Atlantic of the US is Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, WVA, and DC. Like an accepted sub-region of its own.

While Philly/NJ northward are just lumped into Northeast (although probably mid-Atlantic also), and NC southward is the Southeast (although much of VA is too).

Old 12-07-2018, 09:46 AM

41 posts, read 8,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Precisely. I don't know if it's for marketing purposes or business or what, but the modern accepted perception of the mid-Atlantic of the US is Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, WVA, and DC. Like an accepted sub-region of its own.

While Philly/NJ northward are just lumped into Northeast (although probably mid-Atlantic also), and NC southward is the Southeast (although much of VA is too).
Agreed.

If there is any question to me, it's Delaware's classification and it not classified in the Northeast by the Census.

Not that anyone cares about Delaware, or that it really impacts anything, but I thought it's strange the Census Bureau classifies Delaware with Maryland and DC, over Pennsylvania and NJ. Historically, Delaware was once part of Pennsylvania, and today, New Castle County, 60% of Delaware's population, is part of the Philly MSA. While the southernmost county, Sussex is only 22%. Central DE (Kent county) is part of the Philly CSA and Philly Nielsen DMA as well.

If it was the other way - with gravity towards the southernmost county, I'd understand it.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:53 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,831,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The vast majority of Virginia geographically is culturally Southern. The catch with Virginia is that virtually everyone in the state is in NOVA, Richmond, or the Tidewater. The Tidewater has such a heavy military presence it doesn't really have a unique culture. NOVA is also a mixing pot. Richmond still has some Southern culture, but it was never Deep South.
Quote:

Just to try to dead a couple myths here:

Tidewater VA does have a unique culture. I'm not sure where this rumor started, but its probably rooted in the fact that there is no alpha city here. The culture out here is distinguishable from the local vibes of both Central and Northern VA. There is a heavy military presence, but these people (as is the case with everywhere else) assimilate into the local culture with time. It really doesn't dilute the local quirks, the military thing is just one staple of the local culture...

All of Urban VA still has southern links, so I'm not sure why you are singling Richmond out. The city of Richmond has less of a southern vibe than anywhere in Tidewater (yes, including Norfolk or Virginia Beach); Central and Tidewater VA on the whole are equally southern; both are more southern than Northern VA; Northern VA is not devoid of southern culture; neither of these areas is more southern than anywhere else in the Sputh, though I know it's an old City-Data joke that Richmond somehow is one of the most southern places around. There is a "southern gradient" of sorts going from north to South along the 95-to-64 pipeline in Virginia...

The entire VA crescent is in the Mid-Atlantic, pretty much all the cultural identifiers of Mid-Atlantic is present throughout. They just have a stronger southern undertone than points north...

Old 12-07-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Agreed.

If there is any question to me, it's Delaware's classification and it not classified in the Northeast by the Census.

Not that anyone cares about Delaware, or that it really impacts anything, but I thought it's strange the Census Bureau classifies Delaware with Maryland and DC, over Pennsylvania and NJ. Historically, Delaware was once part of Pennsylvania, and today, New Castle County, 60% of Delaware's population, is part of the Philly MSA. While the southernmost county, Sussex is only 22%. Central DE (Kent county) is part of the Philly CSA and Philly Nielsen DMA as well.

If it was the other way - with gravity towards the southernmost county, I'd understand it.
I agree with this, but Delaware and MD are so small geographically that idk how much it really even matter. No doubt the center of population in DE is mostly suburban Philadelphia/Wilmington area. You could definitely look at it that way, or from the view point that the lower half of Delaware is essentially the Eastern Shore of MD extended.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
The vast majority of Virginia geographically is culturally Southern.
Not sure if this makes any sense at all.

Geography has little to do with what a place is in terms of culture. If it were up to geography one could argue that West of I-81 in VA all the way up to PA is really a different state than whatever you find East of I-81 in PA, MD, or VA.

The "vast majority" of people in the state of Virginia live in the urban crescent I-95 eastward in NOVA, Richmond, 757 Tidewater area.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,655,156 times
Quote:
The Tidewater has such a heavy military presence it doesn't really have a unique culture.

Sorry, but that's simply not true.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:04 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Not sure if this makes any sense at all.

Geography has little to do with what a place is in terms of culture. If it were up to geography one could argue that West of I-81 in VA all the way up to PA is really a different state than whatever you find East of I-81 in PA, MD, or VA.

The "vast majority" of people in the state of Virginia live in the urban crescent I-95 eastward in NOVA, Richmond, 757 Tidewater area.
I had to read his statement two more times to get what he meant. He was saying that in terms of land area, the state is mostly culturally Southern but when you look at the population distribution (clustered in the state's 3 largest metros), most Virginians aren't as culturally Southern.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:49 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,146,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
Your opinion of someone else doesn't trump a person's opinion of their own self.
There were no opinions involved in what I was saying. He is from the south, he is a southerner. Those are facts whether he wants to believe it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or