Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 07:40 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
That makes no sense. Other cities like Atlanta, NYC, Seattle, SF etc are just as transient or at least close to DC and you don't hear that those cities don't represent their respective regions. DC has been around since 1790 you act as those DC hasn't been around very long. Baltimore might've played a bigger role before but today DC is playing a bigger role in developing what's seen as Mid-Atlantic/South Mid-Atlantic or whatever else you want to call it, especially with most of the population and economic growth for the region happening in the DC area..
Actually I partially agree with you about other cities not being seen differently because they're transient. However, some of those cities have come under fire for it, particularly NYC. Also note that none of the cities you've mention is having their place in a certain region questioned. So as far a CULTURE, I give it to Baltimore.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 12-07-2018 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 08:14 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
The South Atlantic region needs to be acknowledged more since people assume the East Coast and the south are mutually exclusive when the original southern States were on the East Coast.
Exactly

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...h_Atlantic.PNG

The south can divide multiple ways, but one thing that stick out is The Texas triangle and the south Atlantic states, because of population growth. With exception of TN most of the central south states aren't growing much faster than a Midwestern states,

The south Atlantic can be further split the piedmont region and The Florida peninsula with high growth.

The southern piedmont Raleigh to Atlanta forms a corridor of cities, similar to the BosWosh corridor except less developed and populated. But still Raleigh to Atlanta is one most populated and developed regions of the country

https://cdn2.atlantamagazine.com/wp-...prawl_2060.jpg

Out side the piedmont region there two ways these states are connected

The colonial coast and being the southern of the 13 colonies.

Charleston SC

https://cdn.thecrazytourist.com/wp-c..._613239005.jpg
Wilmington might not have the as large stock of historic building as Charleston and Savanah but for historical reasons it make sense to group them.

https://icdn3.themanual.com/image/th...on-800x800.jpg

Also the southern Appalachian, they do share this partly with AL and TN, but other overall The Appalachia is viewed as Eastern. Even in AL and TN it's the northeast eastern/eastern part of there state.

Asheville NC siblings are like Dalton GA, Rome, GA, Chattanooga TN, and Knoxville TN. Tho the GA cities are smaller.

Asheville.

http://cmroots.com/wp-content/upload...sheville_0.jpg

Rome GA

https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1471/2...83cdae9a_b.jpg

Another interesting fact tying GA and NC mountain regions that were home to the first and second Gold Rushs in the country. Before the Cali and western expansion.

Carolina_Gold_Rush

Georgia_Gold_Rush

https://res.cloudinary.com/simplevie...a81f218246.png

These states have East Coastal states characteristics as well as southern states characteristics.

Basically if you stop comparing NC with Mississippi and look at relation between the Carolinas and Georgia. It would make more sense. NC is not mid Atlantic is overtly South Atlantic. It's a southern east coast state like GA.

- Historic colonial coast
- Progressive Piedmont region
- part of South Appalachia.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:57 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,507 times
I consider both South-Atlantic

Old 12-07-2018, 09:34 PM

1,094 posts, read 808,185 times
South-Atlantic is basically the Southern half of the East Coast from VA to FL. Just like the the Northeast represent the upper half the east coast.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:15 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
I was watching the Weather Channel today. The meteorologist was talking about the big snow storm advancing on the Great Smokies. He said "North Carolina and the rest of the Mid-Atlantic are right in the path of this storm."

Old 12-08-2018, 09:40 PM

110 posts, read 114,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I was watching the Weather Channel today. The meteorologist was talking about the big snow storm advancing on the Great Smokies. He said "North Carolina and the rest of the Mid-Atlantic are right in the path of this storm."
I think it depends which states it is grouped with. If they were referring to North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia they probably would have called it the South Atlantic. If they refer to North Carolina, West Virginia, and Virginia, they probably say Mid-Atlantic.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:39 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Which is a extremely weird thing to say, meteorologist are not immune to making off comments. He probably was thinking geography wise and not it's cultural region.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:50 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicstar1 View Post
I think it depends which states it is grouped with. If they were referring to North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia they probably would have called it the South Atlantic. If they refer to North Carolina, West Virginia, and Virginia, they probably say Mid-Atlantic.

Maybe, but I suspect it was because he was speaking conversationally (rather than reading a report). For whatever reasons, South Atlantic just doesn't seem to be a phrase in common use. It's a good phrase, very descriptive, but it isn't one I hear all that often.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:20 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
a map from 1897

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-At...United_States)

Old 12-09-2018, 09:24 AM

38 posts, read 23,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is southern. You didn't have to be there, just use logic to determine the answer. If the south today is less southern because of northerners moving here, then it would be logical that the north become more southern during the great migration.
Hahaha, that's if Baltimore have a Waffle House, Bojangles, Cracker Barrel, & Piggly Wiggly then it's a southern city. I seen the TV show "The Wire" before and the slang usage on that show seem similar to the northeast cities in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.