U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 07:53 AM

110 posts, read 40,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There are 0 Bojangles in DC proper or Northern Virginia, absolutely 0. There are a few in limited spots of PG County, MD only because that is where the Black population is, that's it, not because it's Southern. They were mostly latecomers to the market. There are also 0 in Baltimore's area, and no others exist in the entire state of Maryland.
There aren't any in Northern Virginia, but there are plenty in Prince Georges County.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/b...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 09:11 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,978 posts, read 3,460,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicstar1 View Post
There aren't any in Northern Virginia, but there are plenty in Prince Georges County.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/b...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
That’s what I just said. Ok there are 5 total in the entire county. There is 1 in Union Station inside the train station in DC, but that’s just there for travelers. Nothing else in the entirety of the Baltimore-DC metros.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:16 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,978 posts, read 3,460,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Look, I really really don't care about Bojangles one way or the other but from Bojangles website, which I hate to say I wasted maybe even 25 seconds of my life over:

https://locations.bojangles.com/dc/w...setts-ave.html
Ok sure there is one inside of Union Station there for travelers and mostly tourists. That’s it.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:43 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,830,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Ok sure there is one inside of Union Station there for travelers and mostly tourists. That’s it.
Lmao why are you bent out of shape about this? Bojangles has expanded its brand; when I left Central Virginia in 2005, which is where I went to high school, there wasn't a single Bojangles anywhere I frequented, not in Richmond, not in the Tri-Cities, not in Henrico. I never saw a Bojangles in my entire life until I moved to North Carolina, and I'd only even heard of the name "Bojangles" once or twice in reference to the old minstrel show guy, and it was used as a slur. Never knew there was a restaurant by that name...

I came back to Richmond and Central VA in 2015 and there were Bojangles everywhere. Now, Bojangles' isnt one of the brands that I believe has outgrown the South, its reach really isn't that wide, but wherever Bojangles are present, I think speaks to the southern under layer at minimum...

The larger point is that many brands outgrow their regionalism, so using stores and restaurants as a signifier of culture is only relevant if they are smaller brands that haven't transcended regional borders. Things like Walmart and Nascar long ago became popular outside of the South; within this conversation, I'd also say Cracker Barrel fits, which is now cost to Coast (I saw one in Massachusetts at the beginning of this year, they are all over the Northeast and much of the Midwest, and for the last couple years they are on a coordinated expansion through Western states). Bojangles and Piggly Wiggly are southern staples, I would agree they are synonymous with the South....

It was hilarious to watch you get up in arms about it though lol...

Old 12-10-2018, 12:02 PM

943 posts, read 413,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
NC is really in no way, shape, or form a Mid-Atlantic state, and Virginia is even a bit of a stretch outside of the most northern part of it, NoVa. It seems like there are a bunch of people who are unwilling to recognize both of these states as Southern, so they call them Mid-Atlantic.
I do agree about NC. NC is too far South to be Mid-Atlantic. I always considered VA as a southern state, but now I am getting second thoughts about it. Virginia is too much in the middle to really be southern, but I visited NoVa and it seems southern due to the different topography and milder winters than the Mid-Atlantic.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:32 PM

5,293 posts, read 3,508,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lmao why are you bent out of shape about this?
Because he's a part of the element in D.C. that want to desperately align themselves with the NE, and erase any connection to the South no matter what the category - including historical.

He once stated that any comparison of metro Atlanta to the Washington region was an insult to D.C. There's an intense hatred of the South at play here.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:31 PM

110 posts, read 40,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I do agree about NC. NC is too far South to be Mid-Atlantic. I always considered VA as a southern state, but now I am getting second thoughts about it. Virginia is too much in the middle to really be southern, but I visited NoVa and it seems southern due to the different topography and milder winters than the Mid-Atlantic.

I don't think the winters are much different in Virginia than they are in Maryland and Coastal New Jersey. Richmond often has cooler nighttime temperatures than New York City in the Winter. This is a picture of the snowfall that we had yesterday in Richmond. My neighborhood totaled 15 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Can people please stop calling N.C. and Virginia “Mid-Atlantic” states?-zach-now.jpg  

Old 12-10-2018, 03:07 PM

674 posts, read 811,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicstar1 View Post
I don't think the winters are much different in Virginia than they are in Maryland and Coastal New Jersey. Richmond often has cooler nighttime temperatures than New York City in the Winter.
I agree.

Here are the average weather stats at Dulles Airport in NoVa and the average weather stats in Philadelphia - almost exactly the same.

https://weatherspark.com/y/22721/Ave...tes-Year-Round

https://weatherspark.com/y/147046/Av...tes-Year-Round

Old 12-10-2018, 03:20 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,653,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Because he's a part of the element in D.C. that want to desperately align themselves with the NE, and erase any connection to the South no matter what the category - including historical.

Actually, I think they want to align themselves with the Mid Atlantic states. Since they are in the middle. If the question was reversed, in other words if people tried to state the DMV was in the NE, you'd get the same reaction. Not Southern, not Northern, it belongs to the middle.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:32 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,271,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

He once stated that any comparison of metro Atlanta to the Washington region was an insult to D.C. There's an intense hatred of the South at play here.
What??? You don't say??? How enlightening of you. It's almost like the DC residents themselves don't say this every time this topic is brought up... oh man, what a discovery. Thank you for your input. I'm always happy to see that you interject yourself as some sort of Southern ambassador every chance possible. Clever this one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or