U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 07:52 AM

1,769 posts, read 569,578 times

Advertisements

It just wouldn’t be DelMarVa without Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 07:59 AM

110 posts, read 41,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
It just wouldn’t be DelMarVa without Virginia.
I know right. You can't just pull Virginia away from the Chesapeake Bay. It shares a peninsula with Delaware and Maryland. That is a part of what makes it Mid-Atlantic.

Some people have told me that the Delmarva peninsula is a myth though.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:04 AM

5 posts, read 1,352 times
Yes, I agree with you. You are absolutely right.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:09 AM

567 posts, read 330,145 times
Hanover got a Bojangle's too!

Old 12-11-2018, 08:33 AM

674 posts, read 811,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Hanover got a Bojangle's too!
Gotta love PA. Good catch!

Can we be done with Bojangles now?

Last edited by revitalizer; 12-11-2018 at 08:50 AM..

Old 12-11-2018, 08:58 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,275,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

I think we all recognize Maryland as light on southern culture, but there is an established history here of guys downplaying the visible southern culture that is there (of which isn't hard to find unless you're oblivious to things that are characteristically regional). This Bojangles thing is proof positive. Bojangles is a regional thing. There isn't one at Union Station in Philly hahahaha, and it isn't even the lone Bojangles in the region, so at minimum, it speaks to the appeal of a southern chicken joint that hasn't transcended that regionalism; Bojangles couldn't survive and open multiple operations in Maryland if there wasn't a demand...
I think it's ridiculous to use Bojangles as an example of what's Southern. Bojangles is clearly geared towards the African American Community considering almost all of them are in PG county with none in Montgomery or Fairfax. If we're using food options which I admit is a bit entertaining, we can look at Pret A Manger as well as they only have locations in mostly what's considered the NE/Mid-Atlantic (New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Delaware, DC + Chicago) and there are 10 locations in DC alone or perhaps a place like La Colombe which are only found in the same locations as Pret A Manger + California and - Delaware.

With that said, is it plausible to say that the African American population in the DC area showcases "Southerness" more so then the other population groups? I don't see it within the White/Asian/Hispanic population at all.

I always enjoyed the Pop vs Coke vs Soda maps.

https://www.vox.com/a/explain-food-america

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/soda-vs-pop_n_2103764

Old 12-11-2018, 09:03 AM

567 posts, read 330,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
Gotta love PA. Good catch!

Can we be done with Bojangles now?
That's Hanover county (VA) I was referring to...

Old 12-11-2018, 09:20 AM

674 posts, read 811,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
That's Hanover county (VA) I was referring to...
Ah ok.

I found one in Reading, PA.

https://locations.bojangles.com/pa/r...th-street.html

Old 12-11-2018, 09:33 AM

110 posts, read 41,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I think it's ridiculous to use Bojangles as an example of what's Southern. Bojangles is clearly geared towards the African American Community considering almost all of them are in PG county with none in Montgomery or Fairfax. If we're using food options which I admit is a bit entertaining, we can look at Pret A Manger as well as they only have locations in mostly what's considered the NE/Mid-Atlantic (New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Delaware, DC + Chicago) and there are 10 locations in DC alone or perhaps a place like La Colombe which are only found in the same locations as Pret A Manger + California and - Delaware.

With that said, is it plausible to say that the African American population in the DC area showcases "Southerness" more so then the other population groups? I don't see it within the White/Asian/Hispanic population at all.

I always enjoyed the Pop vs Coke vs Soda maps.

https://www.vox.com/a/explain-food-america

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/soda-vs-pop_n_2103764
That is so interesting. These maps illustrate just how mixed Virginia is throughout its entirety. I have never heard any one call soda anything but Soda but it is interesting how some people also say pop in Virginia. I have heard people on TV using coke to describe all Soda but Virginia does not have many people who say that, as this map shows. Coke is more of a deep southern thing.

It would interesting to know what accounts for these differences. I am guessing that Coke is more popular further South because Coca-cola started in Georgia. Whereas Soda is the default for Eastern Locations outside of the Deep South. I am not sure about Pop though. It is popular across a huge portion of the United States.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:40 AM

38 posts, read 12,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I hate when people use the restaurant and/or store defense, because increasingly large brands have outgrown regionalism...

Cracker Barrel's brand long outgrew the South; I was living in Elmira, NY when the local Cracker Barrel opened in 2012. There is also a Cracker Barrel in Buffalo, Cleveland, and they opened their second California unit in my hometown (Sacramento) just this summer...

Not to mention there are Cracker Barrels, Waffle Houses, and Bojangles in Maryland, including the DC and Baltimore areas...
Haha, I was just kidding using the restaurant/store brands reference but you're right it's all about the money for different brands to expand to other regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or