U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 01:41 PM

5,306 posts, read 3,520,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I think you're reading into. The guy that was charged for Heyer's death was from Ohio.. but just like him, I many made the journey to Charlottesville from other states. Charlottesville is a very liberal city, the entire city council is made up of 4 dems + 1 independent. Do you really think that that they were all from here?

Of course not, they never are. They certainly were not all from the South by any means though, as you attempted to imply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 01:45 PM

2,517 posts, read 2,279,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Of course not, they never are. They certainly were not all from the South by any means though, as you attempted to imply.
Hmm... well you can bend it to what suits you but its national news that the killer was from Ohio.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:46 PM

29,947 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicstar1 View Post
Technically Maryland too. I didn't mention Texas because not everyone considers it a Southern State. Same with Virginia and Maryland.
It's still pretty safe to include VA with the South, and even Texas (although to a lesser extent). You'll see a lot of raised eyebrows when you include Maryland though.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:48 PM

5,306 posts, read 3,520,434 times
Quote:
Hmm... well you can bend it to what suits you but its national news that the killer was from Ohio.

As I stated before you did. Do you now consider Ohio Southern?

Old 12-12-2018, 01:51 PM

2,517 posts, read 2,279,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
As I stated before you did. Do you now consider Ohio Southern?
Nope... also didnt imply they all came from the South. Implied that they were not local residents.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:24 PM
Status: "Phillies baseball is MLB dysentery." (set 3 days ago)

1,240 posts, read 584,961 times
Quote:
You do know where most of the protestors came from right? And that because Charlottesville is a liberal city, the local residents fought back. Your ignorance is rather offensive and an insult to the citizens of Charlottesville who took a stand. I think we can all agree that completely that people like you at least exist beyond any borders being discussed.
JMATL, I didn't pick this post up as a shot against the South. I mean, look at this and the post that he's responding to. Y'all must have some C-D beef, lol.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:59 PM

45,027 posts, read 36,268,604 times
Quote:
Technically Maryland too. I didn't mention Texas because not everyone considers it a Southern State. Same with Virginia and Maryland.
Well, Maryland is up for grabs I guess, but Texas and Virginia are both southern states.

Regardless, it's the midwest that has the highest number of fast food restaurants per capita.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:36 PM

110 posts, read 41,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, Maryland is up for grabs I guess, but Texas and Virginia are both southern states.

Regardless, it's the midwest that has the highest number of fast food restaurants per capita.
It is debated. As mentioned before on this thread, all of these states stand out among the other Southern States for various reasons. Not only Maryland. Also, since the South includes states like Virginia, Maryland, Texas, and Florida (which have different economic conditions and higher educational attainment than the other Southern States), it skews the demographics of the entire census region. If you removed those states, than it is likely that the South still has the highest number of Fast Food Restaurants per capita. It is a very slim margin with those states included. Alabama (a southern State), had the highest amount of Fast Food restaurants per capita by significant margin. However, it has less than a quarter of the population of Texas and Florida which are not in the top twenty.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:13 PM

45,027 posts, read 36,268,604 times
Quote:
It is debated. As mentioned before on this thread, all of these states stand out among the other Southern States for various reasons. Not only Maryland. Also, since the South includes states like Virginia, Maryland, Texas, and Florida (which have different economic conditions and higher educational attainment than the other Southern States), it skews the demographics of the entire census region. If you removed those states, than it is likely that the South still has the highest number of Fast Food Restaurants per capita. It is a very slim margin with those states included. Alabama (a southern State), had the highest amount of Fast Food restaurants per capita by significant margin. However, it has less than a quarter of the population of Texas and Florida which are not in the top twenty.
Sigh.

The vast majority of people consider Virginia, Florida, and Texas to be southern. So does the US Census Bureau (which also includes Maryland). So does history. So does simple geography. Oh well.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:32 PM

110 posts, read 41,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sigh.

The vast majority of people consider Virginia, Florida, and Texas to be southern. So does the US Census Bureau (which also includes Maryland). So does history. So does simple geography. Oh well.
First of all, the main point was to identify the economic differences between those states and other states in the South. Virginia and Maryland are among the top ten wealthiest states in the country regardless of what region they are in. As of 2017, the Median Household Income in Virginia is $71,535 and $80,776 in Maryland. This is compared to $56,183 for Georgia which is the wealthiest southern state outside of Virginia, Maryland, and Texas. Both Virginia and Maryland also have a much higher proportion of college graduates than other southern States. Texas and Florida are also notably better off than many Southern States. However, both States are very large and have very large economies.

Texas and Florida are geographically Deep Southern. Virginia and Maryland are geographically Mid-Atlantic. You can tell that by simply looking at a map of the country. Being an Anthropology major, I look at cultural divisions very specifically. Virginia and Maryland have cultural differences that are not found anywhere else in the country. This does not make them "Northern" or "Southern" as you put it. It makes them Mid-Atlantic which I define as anyplace that has cultural ties to the Chesapeake Bay. Historically, Virginia, Maryland, and the far Northeastern portion of North Carolina were settled by people from the Chesapeake Bay. These areas are tied together in ways that the rest of the South or any other the part of the country is not. This is especially shown in cities like Richmond and Baltimore which were some of the earliest cities developed along the bay. On a side note, all of Virginia and Marylands major cities are included in the Northeast Megaregion and in the Greater Washington Partnership. This is not a cultural division, but it definitely shows the relationship between those cities and their neighbor regions.

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.co...-of-the-south/ (Explains how Richmond Richmond developed culturally and economically. It is very similar to Baltimore.)
https://www.richmond.com/realestate/...017408225.html (Explains the development of Richmond's unique architecture.)
Black households earn more in the Mid-Atlantic, but there is no simple explanation why | StatChat
Why are Black households wealthier in Virginia? | StatChat (Explains why African Americans in Virginia are wealthier than African Americans further south. It is not due to government jobs)
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/richmond (Talks about early Jewish development in Richmond)

Texas and Florida are also very different. They are definitely southern in their own ways, but to act like they are the same as every other southern state does not make much sense. Especially since we were referring to fast food restaurants. Texas was apart of Mexico and it was its own independent nation. It is where the cultures of the Southeast and Southwest merge. This is something that is never going to change no matter how much people want to put Texas into the Southeast. It definitely is influenced by the south (especially in the Eastern section of the state) but it really is its own region. Florida is the same way. Especially since the Southern part of the state was very sparsely populated for a very long time. I have heard some people say that Miami was southern at one point but the city was founded by Julia Tuttle, a native of Ohio, and was sparsely populated up until the 1920s. The northern third of the State was settled by many Scots and British settlers as well African Americans coming from the lower South, but the rest of the state was still largely unpopulated and developed very differently from most areas in the South.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Texas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._and_formation
https://lincolnmullen.com/projects/slavery/

Cultural divisions are not black and white and it is possible for a place to mesh two cultures together. Virginia, Maryland, Florida, and Texas all do this and it is beautiful to see the cultural fusion within these places. I do not want to plainly refer to a large culturally diverse area under a generalized term such Southern or Northern. It does not take into account the cultural differences within a large region. Also, the census bureau is mostly used for statistical purposes, there are many other government organizations that divide the US regions differently.

On a unrelated topic, I have been working on a map to clearly display which cultures had the largest early impact on different areas of the country. I am not finished with it but I would like to know your opinions on it. It is inspired by Colin Woodard's 11 American Nations book and map but I decided to do some research of my own. To do this I read about the history of each county on the map, which groups made settlements in those counties, and how that impacted the culture of that county. Please let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Can people please stop calling N.C. and Virginia “Mid-Atlantic” states?-early-american-cultures.png  

Last edited by Magicstar1; 12-13-2018 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or