U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 08:08 AM

110 posts, read 40,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth86 View Post
I believe Virginia and North Carolina are economically thriving just like the other Mid-Atlantic/Northeastern states with wealthy, diverse, and highly educated populations.

Attachment 205796
While North Carolina certainly is growing and becoming more wealthy and well educated, it still has a higher than average poverty rate, lower than average Median Household Income, and lower than average educational attainment.

Another notable trait that makes North Carolina very atypical of the Mid-Atlantic is the fact that African Americans make much less in North Carolina than they do in Virginia and Maryland.

Hopefully this will change along with North Carolina's fast growing economy.

Why are Black households wealthier in Virginia? | StatChat
https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...orth-carolina/
North Carolina State Income and Careers - USA.com™
Virginia State Income and Careers - USA.com™
Maryland State Income and Careers - USA.com™
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 09:19 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,362,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You know as well as anyone else that sometimes it takes perception a minute to catch up to reality. While I partially agree with you, we're still within that "minute", more than anything...

I wouldn't advocate Hampton Roads as part of the Northeast Corridor, though I would (and have) advocate for Richmond. Economically, politically, culturally, Hampton Roads is not quite dissociated from DC and Baltimore, but definitely disjointed. The opposite dynamic is at work when comparing Richmond to DC/Baltimore...

I think any sensible person, however, can admit some of yjr characteristic similarities that Hampton Roads shares with the entire region, as Hampton Roads is arguable the originator of a lot of the culture, overall. But because, as you mentioned, there is no major city within Virginia, very little is attributed to Virginia's credit...

Just from a ground level speaking on Richmond locals, not from the political perspective: Richmonders embrace DC (and Maryland) for our kinship and similarities; there is no tit-for-tat, one upsmanship, envious relationship that Baltimoreans seem to prefer. All three areas are more alike than different; I think it's a wonderful thing that at least some political entities have begun to accept and embrace and attempt to unify the Baltimore-to-Richmond corridor...

No one in Richmond "conflates" it with DC, and you're intentionally misleading people by saying that's what anyone tries to do. All these years later, it's amazing and pitiful at the same time that you have this rigid image of Richmond that you refuse to shake and acknowledge what the city is today, and how most Washingtonians and Richmonders relate the two; this idea that nobody recognizes the kinship and commonalities between the two, an idea you've perpetuated for years, is not reflective of what people who know both cities would say...

Nova Guy is clueless, it really is beating a dead horse with that one, regardless of what examples you can present. There's always the same rebuttal...
I don't get why it's such a personal affront to you when I say my opinion about Richmond. And I've clarified that I'm not speaking bad on Richmond, I lived there a pretty short period of time following college so my opinion probably is also somewhat skewed because of that compared to people who grew up in the city or lived there much longer than I did.

That said, I don't get the constant comparisons to NoVa/DC but like I said a million times, that's jmo. There are clearly people who feel differently and that's fine, we all are talking about our opinions on here, it's not that serious.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:03 PM

500 posts, read 329,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I don't get why it's such a personal affront to you when I say my opinion about Richmond. And I've clarified that I'm not speaking bad on Richmond, I lived there a pretty short period of time following college so my opinion probably is also somewhat skewed because of that compared to people who grew up in the city or lived there much longer than I did.

That said, I don't get the constant comparisons to NoVa/DC but like I said a million times, that's jmo. There are clearly people who feel differently and that's fine, we all are talking about our opinions on here, it's not that serious.
Meh, you "aren't speaking bad on Richmond" but you have posted some information that was false. Whenever people disprove your statements about Richmond you always respond with "it's just my opinion" but it's not an opinion that medical is THE industry here; it's just wrong. It's not an opinion that the lobbying and government scene is small in Richmond, its just misinformation. Also, people aren't comparing Richmond to NOVA and saying that they are twin areas...people are pointing to similarities between DC, Baltimore, and Richmond. Three areas that clearly share a region and history. I'm not sure why it bothers you so much whenever Richmond is mentioned with DC. Magicstar1 posted a great link to the capital region partnership which clearly shows large companies see the benefit of the 3 cities working together going forward. I especially enjoyed reading the section on regional mobility. I, like aquest, find myself catching Amtrak out of Staples Mill to Union Station multiple times a week for work purposes. These areas aren't as separated as you'd think and that separation will only get smaller with time.

http://www.greaterwashingtonpartners...port_Final.pdf

I also think you have a habit of conflating NOVA and DC when it comes to conversations about culture.

Last edited by mpier015; 12-14-2018 at 02:14 PM..

Old 12-14-2018, 03:09 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
I, like aquest, find myself catching Amtrak out of Staples Mill to Union Station multiple times a week for work purposes. These areas aren't as separated as you'd think and that separation will only get smaller with time.

True! We take Amtrak from Williamsburg to Union Station quite a bit. In fact we're going up again on the 22nd to see the Washington Chorus Candlelight Christmas performance.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:38 PM

15,387 posts, read 5,202,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
NC is really in no way, shape, or form a Mid-Atlantic state, and Virginia is even a bit of a stretch outside of the most northern part of it, NoVa. It seems like there are a bunch of people who are unwilling to recognize both of these states as Southern, so they call them Mid-Atlantic.
No, you're wrong.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:09 PM

250 posts, read 127,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
No, you're wrong.
Lol care to explain? Or are you just going to say I’m wrong?

Old 12-27-2018, 04:07 PM

3,114 posts, read 4,143,935 times
They are Mid-Atlantic states

Old 12-27-2018, 04:33 PM

5 posts, read 1,003 times
Default Bad

I THIINK THERE UGLY POOP FART P*SSY STATE FOR UFLY WOEMN

Old 12-27-2018, 05:52 PM

29,872 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
They are Mid-Atlantic states
VA, sure. NC, not really.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:19 AM

99 posts, read 30,966 times
NC is Southern and VA is Mid-Atlantic.
That's how I classify them anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or