U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 10:43 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,978 posts, read 3,458,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I’ve never heard of NC being referred to as Mid-Atlantic before. Is this a recent trend? Who is doing so? Should I do it?

Virginia I’ve heard as Mid-Atlantic fairly frequently.
The national media protrays NJ through Virginia as the entire mid-Atlantic. No New York or North Carolina present.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 12:01 PM

260 posts, read 130,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I don't know why people think NoVa is some different world from Richmond or Hampton Roads (wait, yes I do)...
NoVa is pretty different from Richmond. Not as different as somewhere like Danville, but still pretty different.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:22 PM

110 posts, read 40,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
NC is really in no way, shape, or form a Mid-Atlantic state, and Virginia is even a bit of a stretch outside of the most northern part of it, NoVa. It seems like there are a bunch of people who are unwilling to recognize both of these states as Southern, so they call them Mid-Atlantic.
I do not think that North Carolina is Mid-Atlantic by any means. Northern Virginia and the DC area are surrounded by Mid-Atlantic culture it in itself is separate from any regional distinction due to it being the National Capital. Eastern Virginia has lots of cultural and Economic ties with Central and Eastern Maryland. I would at least say that Central and Northern Virginia are Mid-Atlantic because of their Chesapeake Bay ties and history. The colonial families of Baltimore are very similar in origin to Richmonds colonial families and both cities developed very similarly. This is not to say that Virginia does not have similarities with the south though. Historically, culturally, and geographically, the Mid-Atlantic is any place with ties to the Chesapeake Bay.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:57 PM

6,564 posts, read 3,662,092 times
I suppose things have changed in recent decades. There has been a lot of migration and cultural slippage. In response, we seem to be addicted to these regional labels. When in grade school (1950s) the mid Atlantic states were south of New England and included New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and maybe Maryland (don't exactly recall). Connecticut and points north were New England. The South started with Virginia. There was no 'Northeast' as a region but it was sort of New England and mid Atlantic combined. I suppose, to be precise, Virginia is sort of mid-coastal if you look at a map. North Carolina, less so.

The labels are almost meaningless now. My closest neighbors are from Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New York by way of Louisiana, and I'm from Missouri. We had a native born New Mexican for a while but he moved away.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:48 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,653,928 times
I live in a small town in the southern part of Virginia. FWIW, I was always taught that Virginia was a mid-Atlantic state, although it could also be considered a southern state since it was part of the Confederacy. However, we always called it mid-Atlantic. Since it's a habit that goes back to the 1950s, doubt I'll change it.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:38 PM

4,211 posts, read 2,828,597 times
Quote:
NoVa is pretty different from Richmond. Not as different as somewhere like Danville, but still pretty different.
Not really, I grew up between both and I didn't experience any culture shock. The differences are negligible...

Old 12-05-2018, 04:47 PM

37,105 posts, read 45,622,935 times
We just had a conversation with people from Missouri. They say Missouri is the south. As a former New Englander, and then Ohioan, I always thought of MO as the Midwest...never as the south.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:39 PM

7,134 posts, read 9,905,553 times
Default Can people please stop calling N.C. and Virginia “Mid-Atlantic” states?

Quote:
NC is really in no way, shape, or form a Mid-Atlantic state, and Virginia is even a bit of a stretch outside of the most northern part of it, NoVa. It seems like there are a bunch of people who are unwilling to recognize both of these states as Southern, so they call them Mid-Atlantic.
If you look at some maps and imagines of the Mid-Atlantic, North Carolina is occasionally shown as Mid-Atlantic. However it is usually just New York down to the Virginias, including West Virginia.

Those that include North Carolina seem to be a few private companies or groups who divide up the country into districts for business purposes. Because businesses don't care about our geographic, history and cultural arguments here on City-Data, you can get some pretty strange things done by businesses, like Ohio being in the Northeast region or Kentucky as part of the Great Lakes.

So I don't think most people think of North Carolina as part of the Mid-Atlantic.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:45 PM

7,134 posts, read 9,905,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We just had a conversation with people from Missouri. They say Missouri is the south. As a former New Englander, and then Ohioan, I always thought of MO as the Midwest...never as the south.
Maybe because while situated geographically in the North, Missouri was heavily settled by Southerners back in the day. This is why the state was so divided at the time of the Civil War to the extent that Missouri was almost having its own Civil War at the time of the American Civil War.

Still, I do not know what the majority of Missourians think today so maybe the people you talked to are a minority opinion or are in the southern part of the state near Arkansas.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:12 PM

350 posts, read 107,435 times
The South Atlantic region needs to be acknowledged more since people assume the East Coast and the south are mutually exclusive when the original southern States were on the East Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or