Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2018, 11:19 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kondowe View Post
Hahaha, that's if Baltimore have a Waffle House, Bojangles, Cracker Barrel, & Piggly Wiggly then it's a southern city. I seen the TV show "The Wire" before and the slang usage on that show seem similar to the northeast cities in my opinion.
I hate when people use the restaurant and/or store defense, because increasingly large brands have outgrown regionalism...

Cracker Barrel's brand long outgrew the South; I was living in Elmira, NY when the local Cracker Barrel opened in 2012. There is also a Cracker Barrel in Buffalo, Cleveland, and they opened their second California unit in my hometown (Sacramento) just this summer...

Not to mention there are Cracker Barrels, Waffle Houses, and Bojangles in Maryland, including the DC and Baltimore areas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 11:39 AM

110 posts, read 113,932 times
Quote:
Hahaha, that's if Baltimore have a Waffle House, Bojangles, Cracker Barrel, & Piggly Wiggly then it's a southern city. I seen the TV show "The Wire" before and the slang usage on that show seem similar to the northeast cities in my opinion.
I agree with murksiderock that what restaurant chains a city has is no longer associated with its regional classification. They have all of those stores, except Piggly Wiggly, throughout Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina. Piggly Wiggly is only in North Carolina and areas further south though.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:19 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I hate when people use the restaurant and/or store defense, because increasingly large brands have outgrown regionalism...

Cracker Barrel's brand long outgrew the South; I was living in Elmira, NY when the local Cracker Barrel opened in 2012. There is also a Cracker Barrel in Buffalo, Cleveland, and they opened their second California unit in my hometown (Sacramento) just this summer...

Not to mention there are Cracker Barrels, Waffle Houses, and Bojangles in Maryland, including the DC and Baltimore areas...
There are no Bojangles in the Baltimore area.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
There are no Bojangles in the Baltimore area.
There is in DC! However there are none in Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, or Texas.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
NC is definitely not Mid-Atlantic....nothing of the sort and why I like living here. No rat race or pretentious sense of importance.
No pretentious sense of importance?

The very existence of the dozens threads started by Southerners, and Southern posters therein, self-righteously and imperiously demanding that various states be excluded from the South speak against that notion.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:11 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Slang usage? Seriously? You think all "northeast" cities share a common slang?

Old 12-09-2018, 09:13 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There is in DC! However there are none in Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, or Texas.
There are 0 Bojangles in DC proper or Northern Virginia, absolutely 0. There are a few in limited spots of PG County, MD only because that is where the Black population is, that's it, not because it's Southern. They were mostly latecomers to the market. There are also 0 in Baltimore's area, and no others exist in the entire state of Maryland.

Last edited by the resident09; 12-09-2018 at 09:22 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 11:53 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Tennessee and Alabama are Mid-Atlantic. Just accept it.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:55 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
No pretentious sense of importance?

The very existence of the dozens threads started by Southerners, and Southern posters therein, self-righteously and imperiously demanding that various states be excluded from the South speak against that notion.
Those sorts of folks aren't saying that certain states aren't part of the South out of a pretentious sense of importance. From their perspective, it simply has to do with cultural differences; there's no air of "we're too good to let you be a part of the South," and typically there are already a good bit of people in those states that don't consider themselves Southern anyway. You'd really be hard-pressed to demonstrate that Southerners who exclude MD and DE from the South do so "self-righteously" and "imperiously."

Old 12-10-2018, 07:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There are 0 Bojangles in DC proper or Northern Virginia, absolutely 0. There are a few in limited spots of PG County, MD only because that is where the Black population is, that's it, not because it's Southern. They were mostly latecomers to the market. There are also 0 in Baltimore's area, and no others exist in the entire state of Maryland.
Look, I really really don't care about Bojangles one way or the other but from Bojangles website, which I hate to say I wasted maybe even 25 seconds of my life over:

Quote:
Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits, Massachusetts Ave, Washington
50 Massachusetts Ave Washington, DC 20002
Main Number
(202) 216-9481
Restaurant #1084
https://locations.bojangles.com/dc/w...setts-ave.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.