U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 12:46 PM

21,190 posts, read 30,372,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
Greenville, NC, home of East Carolina University. It is seeing major investment in its downtown due to ECU.
I wondered when that was going to start happening and seemed somewhat overdue given Greenville's location and ECU's size, good news for the town nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 12:58 PM

21,190 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Champaign? Champaign's population hasn't increased much since I lived there 47 years ago. Champaign and Urbana together are about 130,000; they were about 100,000 in 1971. THE major employer is the University of Illinois, with a local hospital/clinic a distant second, followed by the Champaign school district, then the Heinz-Kraft foods factory.
Champaign County Economic Development Corporation | Directories & Reports
As mentioned the Champaign-Urbana MSA now stands at around 250K in population and the topic of the thread is college towns transforming, with Champaign very clearly transforming. Have you read any of these links?

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...-research-park
Research Park | University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
https://medium.com/@scobleizer/here-...n-3923049865ed

Old 12-11-2018, 02:14 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As mentioned the Champaign-Urbana MSA now stands at around 250K in population and the topic of the thread is college towns transforming, with Champaign very clearly transforming. Have you read any of these links?

Are you a U of I grad? So is my husband.

#1. Every little wide spot in the road has a "research park" these days.
#2. Ditto
#3. Every little "research park" is going to surpass Silicon Valley.

The top 5 employers in Champaign County:
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 13,857
Carle 6,386
Champaign Unit 4 School District 1,624
Kraft Heinz 1,025
Champaign County 923
Christie Clinic 911

#1. Hopefully, no explanation needed
#2. Carle is a hosptial and a doctor's office complex. Was billed 47 years ago to be the next Mayo.
#3. Public schools
#4. Makes Kraft cheese and such. I can recall calling someone at work there once and getting the "single slice department".
#5. Another medical office complex.

Next 5
Urbana School District #116 830
Presence Health 803
Plastipak 780
Parkland College 707
FedEx 681

#6. Public schools
#7. Hospital
#8. Appears to be a factory
#9. Community College
#10. Shipping center

Next Silicon Valley, indeed!

Old 12-11-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
And, of course, you're aware that the entire country isn't growing by the same rate in all places. Most locations in the Midwest aren't growing at the rate of Phoenix, for example.

Illinois only grew by 15% during the same time frame. The Midwest in general barely grew by a greater % from 1970 to now. C-U grew by over twice that (~42% from 1970 to today's estimates). Even Madison, which is arguably one of the more robust college towns in the Midwest, only grew by 49% during that time frame. Ann Arbor, by contrast, grew by 29%.
Exactly the point. Champaign is hardly going to be the next Silicon Valley if it isn't growing much. I don't know where you got that 42%, either.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:03 PM

4,259 posts, read 5,480,306 times
Quote:
Exactly the point. Champaign is hardly going to be the next Silicon Valley if it isn't growing much. I don't know where you got that 42%, either.
Okay, I think you just missed the points where I a) never said Champaign was going to be the next Silicon Valley (it's not) and I b) insisted Champaign is in the same league as Iowa City/Bloomington/E. Lansing etc. I never said it was an Austin or a Columbus; in fact, I drew the opposite comparison.

For the Midwest (and even the Northeast), 42% growth rate since 1970 was pretty strong, even if it isn't sunbelt growth, and it falls in line with some of the stronger college towns in the Midwest. (Champaign 1970 population = 56,837; 2017 est = 86,637; Urbana 1970 population = 33,976; 2017 est = 42,014. Combined 1970 = 90,813; combined 2017 est: 128,651; Difference = 37,838 or 41.7% above its 1970 population).

Old 12-11-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Okay, I think you just missed the points where I a) never said Champaign was going to be the next Silicon Valley (it's not) and I b) insisted Champaign is in the same league as Iowa City/Bloomington/E. Lansing etc. I never said it was an Austin or a Columbus; in fact, I drew the opposite comparison.

For the Midwest (and even the Northeast), 42% growth rate since 1970 was pretty strong, even if it isn't sunbelt growth, and it falls in line with some of the stronger college towns in the Midwest. (Champaign 1970 population = 56,837; 2017 est = 86,637; Urbana 1970 population = 33,976; 2017 est = 42,014. Combined 1970 = 90,813; combined 2017 est: 128,651; Difference = 37,838 or 41.7% above its 1970 population).
One of Kyle's links predicted that Champaign would "beat" Silicon Valley: "So, when I say Silicon Valley is being beaten, and is at risk of losing more companies to small towns, hereís why. In the past week Iíve visited three of those towns, Urbana, and Champaign Illinois and Blacksburg, Virginia."

Old 12-12-2018, 12:43 AM

5,883 posts, read 6,535,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Sure Champaign-Urbana is developing and the U of I is the catalyst. Chambana is arguably the healthiest urban area in downstate IL. My biggest problem with C/U (and this is just perception....but I have been there many times) is that it doesn't have that "collegiate feel" of a number of other Big Ten college towns.

I think, to a degree, that has to do with the university's location, straddled between the two cities. It is somewhat removed from DT Champaign and even more so from DT Urbana. The campus town area is the one with the most collegiate feel....I don't know, a bit hard to put into words, but I think the best college towns are often those adjacent to their city's downtowns....like Iowa City, Bloomington, Ann Arbor.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:09 AM

4,259 posts, read 5,480,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Sure Champaign-Urbana is developing and the U of I is the catalyst. Chambana is arguably the healthiest urban area in downstate IL. My biggest problem with C/U (and this is just perception....but I have been there many times) is that it doesn't have that "collegiate feel" of a number of other Big Ten college towns.

I think, to a degree, that has to do with the university's location, straddled between the two cities. It is somewhat removed from DT Champaign and even more so from DT Urbana. The campus town area is the one with the most collegiate feel....I don't know, a bit hard to put into words, but I think the best college towns are often those adjacent to their city's downtowns....like Iowa City, Bloomington, Ann Arbor.
Hmm, I've not ever gotten that feeling. I'm not sure the U of I quad is that much more removed from downtown Champaign than Bascom Hill is what you would define as truly downtown Madison or even a huge chunk of NU, which is a ways away from downtown Evanston, and those are both collegiate-feeling college towns.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:29 AM

5,883 posts, read 6,535,124 times
Quote:
Hmm, I've not ever gotten that feeling. I'm not sure the U of I quad is that much more removed from downtown Champaign than Bascom Hill is what you would define as truly downtown Madison or even a huge chunk of NU, which is a ways away from downtown Evanston, and those are both collegiate-feeling college towns.
Both UW and NU abut their respective downtowns. And, in both cases, heavily influence them. Downtown Evanston saw a true renaissance when the legendary old town-gown struggle was put aside and both university and city worked together to (quite successfully) revive downtown. And Bascom Hall is hardly the eastern edge of the campus...the union and other real estate push it eastward enough so downtown can be seen as being "across the street" (I believe the mall that the union is one is a stretch that includes both UW and downtown)State Street runs from capitol to university. South of Clark: DT Evanston, cross the street and you're on the NU campus, right smack at its administration bldg. They have the same relationship to their downtowns as both Iowa and IU do: they are adjacent to them. Every one of them has an edge downtown...but spreads outward. The one that is different, IMHO, is Ann Arbor, where U-M (at least its central campus) is virtually surrounded by downtown/central A2.

I don't see anything parallel in that with the U of I and C/U. As I said, Illinois strattling the line between the two cities removes it from both of their downtowns. Also, campus town was (is?) the business district that was U of I related.

Look, Maintainschaos, I get it: one can make a very compelling argument for Champaign-Urbana as being an urban area that benefits greatly from having a university the quality of the U of I....and in being an attractive community with a high standard of living. I don't have a gripe about Champaign-Urbana...I actually like it. I just feel that the true college town feeling comes from the university being in the heart of a city, next to its downtown. Madison may be too big of a city to be considered a "college town", but the placement of UW next to its downtown area influences it greatly. Another two big to be considered a college town, Columbus, finds OSU far removed from downtown....and that influences how collegiate Columbus feels. And even the one city in the Big Ten that was never, ever a college town...Minneapolis (always a city)...still has its core area affected by having the U of M next door.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:58 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,236,401 times
Quote:
Boulder (mentioned above) has the bold-IBM, a huge Google installation, several federal labs (though the labs probably located there because of the universtiy), many smaller IT companies; plus it's about 30 miles from Denver. Even though it's in its own MSA per the census bureau, a lot of people live in Boulder and work in Denver and its burbs, and vice versa as well.

Champaign? Champaign's population hasn't increased much since I lived there 47 years ago. Champaign and Urbana together are about 130,000; they were about 100,000 in 1971. THE major employer is the University of Illinois, with a local hospital/clinic a distant second, followed by the Champaign school district, then the Heinz-Kraft foods factory.
Champaign County Economic Development Corporation | Directories & Reports
I have two nephews who now go to U of I Champaign. To say that d/t-College town Champaign is not booming/boomed with an actual skyline it did not have 5 years back is untrue; Green Street is now a canyon of new luxury high rises that cater to the uber wealthy Chinese and surburban Chicago crowd. There is construction everywhere with rents that shockingly rival downtown Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.