U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 08:57 AM

5,853 posts, read 6,521,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I have two nephews who now go to U of I Champaign. To say that d/t-College town Champaign is not booming/boomed with an actual skyline it did not have 5 years back is untrue; Green Street is now a canyon of new luxury high rises that cater to the uber wealthy Chinese and surburban Chicago crowd. There is construction everywhere with rents that shockingly rival downtown Chicago.
definitely an area of change. They are correct on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 09:11 AM

86,981 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Sure Champaign-Urbana is developing and the U of I is the catalyst. Chambana is arguably the healthiest urban area in downstate IL. My biggest problem with C/U (and this is just perception....but I have been there many times) is that it doesn't have that "collegiate feel" of a number of other Big Ten college towns.

I think, to a degree, that has to do with the university's location, straddled between the two cities. It is somewhat removed from DT Champaign and even more so from DT Urbana. The campus town area is the one with the most collegiate feel....I don't know, a bit hard to put into words, but I think the best college towns are often those adjacent to their city's downtowns....like Iowa City, Bloomington, Ann Arbor.
I never though UI that "removed". Champaign-Urbana is not that big, for one thing. The U of CO-Boulder is not part of d/t Boulder, either. It has its own shopping area "The Hill", like UI has Green Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I have two nephews who now go to U of I Champaign. To say that d/t-College town Champaign is not booming/boomed with an actual skyline it did not have 5 years back is untrue; Green Street is now a canyon of new luxury high rises that cater to the uber wealthy Chinese and surburban Chicago crowd. There is construction everywhere with rents that shockingly rival downtown Chicago.
That's interesting.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:00 AM

21,182 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Okay, I think you just missed the points where I a) never said Champaign was going to be the next Silicon Valley (it's not)
Same here with my point which was more/less it's not the same cowtown of 30-40 years ago she was insisting it still is... Unfortunately sometimes you just have to walk away from the ones who "know everything".

Old 12-13-2018, 08:15 AM

10 posts, read 4,967 times
In an early morning announcement Thursday, Apple has picked Austin, Texas, to build a new $1 billion corporate campus that will add nearly 9,000 jobs.

Last edited by WestTex1984; 12-13-2018 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: xxoo

Old 12-13-2018, 08:16 AM

86,981 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Same here with my point which was more/less it's not the same cowtown of 30-40 years ago she was insisting it still is... Unfortunately sometimes you just have to walk away from the ones who "know everything".
"She" is still here, sorry to inform you. I have not passed on to the Great Beyond and I would appreciate not being talked about as if I have.

That out of the way, I did not say Champaign was a cow town 30-40 years ago. Heck, cattle farming (dairy and/or beef) is not that common in IL. It's corn and soybeans, baby. Secondly, you are the one who posted these links showing Champaign turning into some high tech mecca that will some day surpass Silicon Valley. Do you have any idea how many cities/towns that is said about? All of these articles have a different perspective, but none of them mention Champaign; a few mention Chicago:
https://www.citylab.com/life/2018/07...the-us/566351/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbest.../#44ddfba037f0
https://www.gobankingrates.com/makin...valley-cities/
https://www.glassdoor.com/blog/9-cit...lley-tech-hub/
https://www.colocationamerica.com/bl...silicon-valley
https://www.technologyreview.com/bus...ilicon-valley/
Plus much, much more!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-13-2018 at 08:31 AM..

Old 12-14-2018, 02:05 PM

6,955 posts, read 14,084,889 times
Lexington, KY. It's a good mix between college and regular life. You can easily seek out either, but everyone not affiliated with UK is still involved in some way, at least in the sports life. The shopping and dining scene there is great for the size of the city and for being in Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.