U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 11:47 AM

367 posts, read 269,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
All that is necessary is to be able to look at them.

If you think about it, there really aren't any major cities in the West that don't have a mountain backdrop.
In most of them you'd either never see the mountains (unless you're in a high rise on driving on elevated highway, buildings obscure the view) or see them not that often while in the city....In PWN, any mountain view is usually covered by the clouds, in LA...smog. I love mountains, camp in them a lot, but find mountain views even from your house window or lot get really old really fast, once you realize how much this costs you.

Last edited by Usrname; 12-07-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 12:14 PM

12,901 posts, read 4,881,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
In most of them you'd either never see the mountains (unless you're in a high rise on driving on elevated highway, buildings obscure the view) or see them not that often while in the city....In PWN, any mountain view is usually covered by the clouds, in LA...smog. I love mountains, camp in them a lot, but find mountain views even from your house window or lot get really old really fast, once you realize how much this costs you.
In Las Vegas simultaneous views of three or four different sets of mountains are pretty much standard.

Difficult to find a place where one or more are not visible.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:35 PM

It does... I lived with direct stunning mountain views and you just stop caring for them after a couple of months, get used to it and once you do the math...it's "nope, it does not make sense". And living on a small land parcel...no mountains can make up for this. Can drive to a long camping trip to the Western mountains (which I love), from the East. Most new home buyers in the West -- unless they'd put out hundreds of thousand cash or slavery mortgage -- will have a view of the neighbor's window, not the mountains.

Last edited by Usrname; 12-07-2018 at 12:45 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 12:35 PM

1,231 posts, read 510,911 times
Quote:
Huh? I see mountains several thousand feet tall locally and rugged islands over 700 feet tall in Mexico while surfing in San Diego. I got views of plenty of mountains, some as tall as 6K ft from my modest ranch house, and no it never gets old while sitting in a chair or jacuzzi relaxing at the end of the day. As someone who has spent a lot of time in Seattle and LA I can agree with what you said, to an extent.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
In Las Vegas simultaneous views of three or four different sets of mountains are pretty much standard.

Difficult to find a place where one or more are not visible.
Vegas is one with some views, yes, and in the lower price range (extremely arid and hot too, though).

Old 12-07-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Huh? I see mountains several thousand feet tall locally and rugged islands over 700 feet tall in Mexico while surfing in San Diego. I got views of plenty of mountains, some as tall as 6K ft from my modest ranch house, and no it never gets old while sitting in a chair or jacuzzi relaxing at the end of the day. As someone who has spent a lot of time in Seattle and LA I can agree with what you said, to an extent.
While surfing...not from your bedroom. I'm in SD right now until spring, from my stand point not a livable place, honestly, there's no way to comprehend someone taking up mortgage here. Most of SD county ain't got no mountain views, unless you're...on a highway.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Vegas is one with some views, yes, and in the lower price range (extremely arid and hot too, though).
Don't get carried away with that. Effective heat is about the same as Dallas TX. And winters are much nicer.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Don't get carried away with that. Effective heat is about the same as Dallas TX. And winters are much nicer.
Desert around Vegas is ugly though, summer is brutal and no real winter (and not a champion of Dallas either)

Old 12-07-2018, 12:53 PM

I guess a lot of home buyers are hell bent on mountain views, even if they have to drive one to 4 hours on a weekend to see them...this explains another part of equation involving extreme pricing.

1) tech 2) weed growers (and rec. users) 3) mountain view seekers

Old 12-07-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Desert around Vegas is ugly though, summer is brutal and no real winter (and not a champion of Dallas either)
Nope. There is heat and it does require management. But the mornings until around noon are quite pleasant even in peak summer. There are hot places - Laughlin or even Phoenix. But LV is generally livable.

Pop into Red Rock Canyon sometime. Or the Valley of the Fire. Nothing ugly about either. And they are relatively pure Mojave desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or