U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 03:55 PM

367 posts, read 269,463 times

Advertisements

I think another attraction in the West is cleaner, on average, environment.
In CA cities, environmental state is very, very bad (especially air quality), pretty much in any of them, but overall, averaged, West is cleaner than East.
East got a lot of cropland (pesticides), a lot of old industrialized areas with a lot of pollution, and quite a bit of new fracking going on (West got fracking too, but it's kind of more concentrated in fewer areas, like Colorado or Bakken shale/ND).
Definitely another factor.

So, it's:

- tech: pouring the money in, while it lasts

- lack of bugs and ticks (my favorite)
- hype, especially among younger people
- seeking mountain and other views
- dry heat-seeking retiring baby boomers
- cleaner, on average, environment
- perceived social openness
- weed legalization

Last edited by Usrname; 12-08-2018 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 08:24 PM

6,570 posts, read 3,664,491 times
I haven’t heard a lawn mower in five years.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I havenít heard a lawn mower in five years.
In the desert... The West overall I think has a lot of mowers or leaf blowers because of obsession with lawns. People water and grow green lawns even in arid areas, seeing too much of it...

Old 12-09-2018, 09:19 AM

7,738 posts, read 9,030,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
In the desert... The West overall I think has a lot of mowers or leaf blowers because of obsession with lawns. People water and grow green lawns even in arid areas, seeing too much of it...
In a lot of areas out west looks are still very important and this includes obsessing over lawns even in arid regions.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:31 AM

7,738 posts, read 9,030,452 times
Quote:
In most of them you'd either never see the mountains (unless you're in a high rise on driving on elevated highway, buildings obscure the view) or see them not that often while in the city....In PWN, any mountain view is usually covered by the clouds, in LA...smog. I love mountains, camp in them a lot, but find mountain views even from your house window or lot get really old really fast, once you realize how much this costs you.
Quote:
It does... I lived with direct stunning mountain views and you just stop caring for them after a couple of months, get used to it and once you do the math...it's "nope, it does not make sense". And living on a small land parcel...no mountains can make up for this. Can drive to a long camping trip to the Western mountains (which I love), from the East. Most new home buyers in the West -- unless they'd put out hundreds of thousand cash or slavery mortgage -- will have a view of the neighbor's window, not the mountains.
I grew up in Montana and agree that mountains are VERY overrated. Yes, it's fun to camp and hike in them, but not worth working for slave wages and a high cost of living. Especially since that means you likely won't be able to actually enjoy them. I guess I don't get the religious experience so many people seem to get from looking at mountains.

You should say this on the Montana forum. You get crucified for saying it there.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:12 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,986,802 times
Look, I've lived in the West all my life. There are places in the West, as here in San Angelo, for under 150k everywhere. And it is dry west of the 100th meridian. Southern New Mexico, the eastern halves of Wyoming, Washington state, and Montana; or you're just going to have to get over the color green.

Last edited by Danbo1957; 12-09-2018 at 10:29 AM..

Old 12-09-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Look, I've lived in the West all my life. There are places in the West, as here in San Angelo, for under 150k everywhere. And it is dry west of the 100th meridian. Southern New Mexico, the eastern halves of Wyoming, Washington state, and Montana; or you're just going to have to get over the color green.
I considered TX as more of "East" than "West" for this comparison...I know TX had been the West, traditionally, but I think it had a lot more ties to the East now, and de facto is closer to the Eastern states in all kinds of ways. (not sure what you mean by getting over the color green....most people wouldn't want to ever do this)

Old 12-09-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I grew up in Montana and agree that mountains are VERY overrated. Yes, it's fun to camp and hike in them, but not worth working for slave wages and a high cost of living. Especially since that means you likely won't be able to actually enjoy them. I guess I don't get the religious experience so many people seem to get from looking at mountains.

You should say this on the Montana forum. You get crucified for saying it there.
This. I know, the locals often don't even notice the "mountains"....(some mountain landscapes can also feel oppressive, like in ABQ and Palm Springs)

Old 12-09-2018, 11:17 AM

In Colorado, in many counties one needs 35 acres to get a well permit to water anything outside their house....and wells run 600ft sometimes with drilling fees alone up to $60/foot, and dry holes easily happening....go figure.

The most puzzling for me is Alaska with its insane land prices.
- brutal winter (inland)? Yes
- extremely rainy/wet/overcast climate close to coast? Yes
- polar night
- mosquitos? Yes
- very expensive food, supplies
- high crime
??

Old 12-09-2018, 11:23 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,451,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post

To each their own but I didn't appreciate living in a mountain state until I came back from 3 years in Florida. The mountains mean home. Hey, thats a marketing slogan. Tell it to your cohorts in Montana .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or