U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 11:27 AM

6,565 posts, read 10,280,522 times

Advertisements

I've been on this site for a long time, and I've seen some threads that were real whoppers, but man alive I actually felt a cluster of brain cells die reading this.

OP if you hate the west so much then leave. Seriously. Nobody's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to live out here. Go buy an $80k mansion in a dying rust belt city or the middle of Mississippi somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 12:15 PM

367 posts, read 269,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I've been on this site for a long time, and I've seen some threads that were real whoppers, but man alive I actually felt a cluster of brain cells die reading this.

OP if you hate the west so much then leave. Seriously. Nobody's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to live out here. Go buy an $80k mansion in a dying rust belt city or the middle of Mississippi somewhere.
You're taking things way to personal...while this discussion has noting to with you.
It's not about yer little town....or yer momma. My life is none of your business. Shoo.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:27 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,988,705 times
Well, OP, you basically ended the thread. So, for anyone actually wanting to live in the West, one can find 3-5 acre, <150k properties. As suggested above, look at land that is less expensive near those more expensive places where you'd like to live. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Well, OP, you basically ended the thread. So, for anyone actually wanting to live in the West, one can find 3-5 acre, <150k properties. As suggested above, look at land that is less expensive near those more expensive places where you'd like to live. Good luck.

Not sure what planet you're living on...you're posting disinformation. Obviously, you had not read what I'd posted neither you're familiar with current real estate prices.

Uneducated people for some reason alway need to make it personal and don't comprehend things like averages. It's not about me, or you, or your overpriced home. Don't be so defensive...you know it's overpriced. I don't want to live in the West and not looking, sorry...won't buy your crapshack even when the crash comes... I like having water and acreage. You're being ignored from this point.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:56 PM

Interesting...Alaska averag Zillow estimate price had a sharp drop and more steep drop is predicted:
https://www.zillow.com/ak/home-values/

May be some lemmings realized what racket they've gotten themselves into, are cashing out, and jumping the ship heading out to greener pastures.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:32 PM

1,231 posts, read 510,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
This. I know, the locals often don't even notice the "mountains"....(some mountain landscapes can also feel oppressive, like in ABQ and Palm Springs)
Yeah the pine covered 10K+ ft San Jacinto Mountains can feel oppressive, especially when capped with snow, like they currently are, in the winter. Take a trip on the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway sometime and get back to me. Going from a 110+ degree desert floor to 8,500K ft and a lush landscape with 75 degrees in 10 minutes during the summer is something else. Doing it in winter is equally impressive when you go from 75 degrees to playing in the snow.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:24 PM

"Go West, young man, go West!"

**Never mind the global warming is about to make this Great Dustbowl to have even less water

Get in while you still can! They ain't manufacturing any more land!

And all the cool people live here!

I see the train of wagons inching their way....

Old 12-10-2018, 07:16 AM

1,036 posts, read 788,097 times
Land is expensive everywhere in the US. It has increased much more than the rate of inflation. It was 30 years ago when you could last buy a house on a half acre lot for under $100,000 in my area.

The median detached single family home price for both Wooster and Alliance is nearly $160,000.

When I was looking for a home in the 1980s, I found that the homes in my price range would require tens of thousands of dollars in plumbing, electrical, heating, air conditioning, and roofing upgrades. I bought land and built instead.

I was able to buy nearly 15 acres for $20,000. The brine injection well, which has paid me $150 a month for decades, kept the price down. The Black Angus across the street have been replaced by a subdivision, I have city sewer now, and the Rover gas pipeline goes through my backyard.

There was an auction of 54 acres and barn within a mile of me recently. It went for $366,000.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:07 PM

Looking at top threads on CA forum....
earlier today was "Los Angeles Homeless Containment thread"...
a little later was "Orange County Homeless Thread"
San Jose subforum: "Is home ownership completely out of reach?"
SF subforum: "Should I give money to the homeless?"
San Diego subforum: "Homeless tents for San Diego"
Sacramento subforum: "Thoughts on the inflated housing market".
Welcome to California!!

Old 12-10-2018, 09:10 PM

31,701 posts, read 19,992,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
It's not really possible to buy a stick built home on as little as half acre anywhere in the Western states for under 100K, right now, starting from W. South Dakota and West from there.
One may see real estate listings but it's 100% going to be some major issue with the home (water issue, total fixer, meth lab, mold, unpermitted, etc). May be few legit homes in NM.
At the same time, there're quite a few homes on large lots to chose from in the eastern half of the country.

Half acre is a small lot size for out-of-town home....why is land so expensive in the West?
Is it the climate? Plenty of cold winters, snow, extremely hot or extremely rainy/overcast climates in the West.
Is it scenic views? Plenty of homes are located in dusty deserts, steppes, no forest, mountains or water body anywhere really close.
Lack of natural hazards? Plenty of homes (most!) are in earthquake, wildfire or flash flooding zones.
Clean environment? Not everywhere West for sure.
Medical care is pretty horrendous here, it can't be the attraction.
Amenities, infrastructure? Rural homes in the middle of nowhere with 1.5 hour drive to civilization are similarly priced.
Most of rural homes in the West are at risk of ending up without water/needing new super-expensive well, water table is 100s of feet below and water is often bad.
Why in the world are land and home prices so high all over Western states? Can't figure out what's the attraction here, unless you're somewhere right in a very scenic area.
Is it the lack of bugs??
Where can you buy a half acre with a house for under 100K?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or