Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 01:58 PM

367 posts, read 417,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nope. There is heat and it does require management. But the mornings until around noon are quite pleasant even in peak summer. There are hot places - Laughlin or even Phoenix. But LV is generally livable.

Pop into Red Rock Canyon sometime. Or the Valley of the Fire. Nothing ugly about either. And they are relatively pure Mojave desert.
It's too arid, that's what's ugly... may be if someone grew up in a desert, they can like it....no forests.

85K old RV trailer on 0.5 acre in AZ parched desert....no mountain views can explain this.
And strange that this view chasing just started recently. Must be it's the internet/people seeing enticing pictures online...
But no, it can't explain values going up 8 or 15% per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 02:05 PM

I think prices will crash eventually....it seems like a bubble. Tech will disperse over the country, once young naive freshers realize they're not being sold a good deal here and demand remote work or affordable, non-overcrowded housing and livability near work. And this new "mountain view" craze is just a Tulip mania like bitcoin 2017...
Rec weed will be legalized in more places too, probably, so stoners can stay put...more water and ag opportunities east too.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:13 PM

15,983 posts, read 10,545,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
In most of them you'd either never see the mountains (unless you're in a high rise on driving on elevated highway, buildings obscure the view) or see them not that often while in the city....In PWN, any mountain view is usually covered by the clouds, in LA...smog.
I see four mountain ranges from my porch on all but the rarest of cloudy days and then only obscured for a couple hours. I live in the desert but can be in the mountains in a half hour.

Quote:
I love mountains, camp in them a lot, but find mountain views even from your house window or lot get really old really fast, once you realize how much this costs you.
The cost factor varies from place to place as does the density. It depends on what you want. I have one adjacent neighbor -- we share a fence She's in the mid 80s and i try to watch out for her. I have two others within shouting distance across and up the road a bit. Except for the crows and coyotes, it's pretty quiet. I live within the 3rd largest city in my state. There are places here more solitary than my immediate neighborhood and there are places where houses are only maybe 8 feet apart. I know you can get a half acre for $12k with all utilities except water and sewer with a view of five mountain ranges and the Rio Grande Valley. If one wants to live in a comfortable condo at a ski or golf resort or a plush gated community or in a mini-ranchette development the cost could be unapproachable for most people.

I looked at a new-built home in a "planned" development on a postage stamp lot with three bedrooms, two baths and a garage. The back yard was about 15-20 feet deep with a slab patio and the neighbors' houses were extremely close and towered over it so there were no views to speak of. It was a few years ago but the price was about $160,000 I think. I thought the house was reasonably OK as a house but couldn't stand the neighborhood and density. The houses were selling so some folks like the dense neighborhoods or that's the limit on what they can afford.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:42 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,376,175 times
Quote:
I'm talking about mean price statewide and regionwide.
There's drastic East-West price gap.
And for the same price, I can get a house on than 25 times larger parcel in Eastern states, in the Northeast (New England), Midwest, or the South (and better quality house at the same time). Not focusing on few very expensive spots like SF or NYC, these are special cases.

Of course there'll be expensive cities everywhere, even in 3rd world countries. I live in CA, had lived in most major US cities including NYC and various rural areas, a few states, both West and East, mostly West.
Weather. Northease is cold as hell.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:44 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,376,175 times
Quote:
It's too arid, that's what's ugly... may be if someone grew up in a desert, they can like it....no forests.

85K old RV trailer on 0.5 acre in AZ parched desert....no mountain views can explain this.
And strange that this view chasing just started recently. Must be it's the internet/people seeing enticing pictures online...
But no, it can't explain values going up 8 or 15% per year.
You seem really bitter. 1. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 2. I find the west to be quite beautiful 3. I loved living close to the mountains, to be an hour a way from a ski resort.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:49 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,415,726 times
Quote:
While surfing...not from your bedroom. I'm in SD right now until spring, from my stand point not a livable place, honestly, there's no way to comprehend someone taking up mortgage here. Most of SD county ain't got no mountain views, unless you're...on a highway.
Actually I could see plenty of mountains from one apartment at the beach overlooking mission bay sitting in my living room and another one I could see Cuyamaca that gets snow in the winter framed by palm trees from my bedroom only 1 block from the ocean.

I don’t quit understand your statement about “SD county ain’t got no mountain views”. While they might not be as tall as the San Bernardino Mountains two hours north, which I have a cabin at, our mountains an hour away are pine covered and offer more than just the brush covered ones within the city. Sorry you don’t like it here, I do hope you enjoy your stay.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Actually I could see plenty of mountains from one apartment at the beach overlooking mission bay sitting in my living room and another one I could see Cuyamaca that gets snow in the winter framed by palm trees from my bedroom only 1 block from the ocean.

I don’t quit understand your statement about “SD county ain’t got no mountain views”. While they might not be as tall as the San Bernardino Mountains two hours north, which I have a cabin at, our mountains an hour away are pine covered and offer more than just the brush covered ones within the city. Sorry you don’t like it here, I do hope you enjoy your stay.
While there're spots with mountain sights, averaging over SD county (which I'm very familiar with), realistically, not much of mountain viewing is going to happen from in-town. Not unless one is ready to spend $$$$, but even then -- mountains around here are more like hills....Of course, there're some mountain views in many Western towns, but most houses won't have them...even with the view, can't see how it justifies the prices.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
A good read is https://www.amazon.com/American-Nati...ional+cultures
It deals with historical migration patterns. The job creators are on the coasts which is probably the most relevant reason for people to move out west.
Reading this right now...very interesting book -- I had lived among all these "nations" (except in Quebec).
I have to say about the oppressiveness, conservatism and non-acceptance ascribed to the Eastern states: I no longer can feel "openness" of the Western states culture -- it seems like only the money and greed are talking here now (I'd moved over a couple of decades ago from Northern Europe, so don't have a dog in the fight, not having a "home state" here). I don't think there's simple East-West division in term of open-mindedness here. A lot of rural West compares to rural Deep South in term of life views and there're hippie communes in the Midwest now.... And the corporate slavery required to pay off these mortgages...huh, reminds of "Tidewater lords" a lot! And homelessness, which is so big in CA now...reeks of oppression more than anything. Social inequality is a big thing here now.

Last edited by Usrname; 12-07-2018 at 04:35 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 04:26 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,415,726 times
Quote:
While there're spots with mountain sights, averaging over SD county (which I'm very familiar with), realistically, not much of mountain viewing is going to happen from in-town. Not unless one is ready to spend $$$$, but even then -- mountains around here are more like hills....Of course, there're some mountain views in many Western towns, but most houses won't have them...even with the view, can't see how it justifies the prices.
Well San Diego has a lot more going for it than just does a tract house have a mountain view or not. Personally I’m glad people think it’s over priced, I wish more did, it’s crowded enough already. Sorry folks the lot is full. Actually I always encourage people to move here if it’s their dream. Who am I to say where you can and can’t live, just be prepared to pay.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Well San Diego has a lot more going for it than just does a tract house have a mountain view or not. Personally I’m glad people think it’s over priced, I wish more did, it’s crowded enough already. Sorry folks the lot is full. Actually I always encourage people to move here if it’s their dream. Who am I to say where you can and can’t live, just be prepared to pay.
SD is crazy crowded, roads, gyms, stores, it's a giant ant hill... please don't take SD talk personally, I'm not trying to move in, wouldn't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.