U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 10:28 AM

30 posts, read 19,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Anything is possible, but I'd think this would be pretty rough to pull off on long term basis based on how late some bars close. Of course you might find some place that only wants a part time bartender during busy weekend hours that meshes perfectly with your 9-5 gig.
Yeah those are the places I am looking for lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 12:02 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,171,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
All Big 10 schools ------> Chicago.

for a lot but is Chicago even close to the largest destination for schools like PSU, Univ of MD, Rutgers? would think not as the EC cities (probably all 5) draw more than Chicago

Old 12-14-2018, 12:04 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,171,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
Something to consider too is that the singles you'll meet in the expensive cities and some of the moderately priced cities will be an entirely different class of singles than the ones you'll meet in the inexpensive cities

not sure I would totally agree on this

Take Philly as an example in the inexpensive list, Philly which will surprise many has the highest proportion of its DT population with advanced degrees of any of the large cities in the country

Though I am struggling on where its inexpensive, if Chicago is in the moderate price I am confused why they are different price points; their main nabes are very similarly priced

Philly isn't cheap but like Chicago is much more affordable than other large dense cities

Old 12-14-2018, 02:00 PM

6,972 posts, read 14,100,231 times
LA, Chicago, NYC, DC. LA attracts anyone who thinks they're too popular for their school and just wants to be at a beach all day and can't wear a coat or it'll ruin their outfit. Chicago attracts mostly those from the good colleges in the Midwest who just prefer Chicago over NYC for one reason over another. But a good portion of the friend groups from the Midwest split between NYC, Chicago, and LA. NYC attracts the opposites of LA; is in, those from all over who have a strong work hard play hard attitude and show no signs of slowing down. DC attracts a lot from the South who want to move North, but NYC is too "northern" for them (I don't mean it in a bad way).

Chicago you'll find the most down to earth people for sure. Not ready for a family, want to party still, but don't want to be overly concerned about their appearance in LA or work themselves to death in NYC.

Philly attracts people from the Northeast, Mid Atlantic, upper South, and parts of the eastern Midwest that are very similar to Chicago. They're big partiers, stay in shape, love their sports the same way Chicago does, but want to be in the northeast without the NYC stress.

Then there's Miami. Idk enough about the people that move there, but I'd assume it's a combo of the LA and NYC crowds.

Other cities like Atlanta and SF and Nashville do attract people. But not in the same party way. They're still not the same as those in LA, Chicago, DC, NYC and Philly IMO.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:00 PM

7,825 posts, read 12,333,377 times
Some parts of the South actually are known for partying, OP is totally wrong.

My answers...

New Orleans
Key West
Miami
Las Vegas

Old 12-19-2018, 08:02 PM

7,825 posts, read 12,333,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungadow View Post
Any chance someone can have a full time 9 to 5 and work at a bar on the side?
I know so many people like this. I live outside Baton Rouge and it seems at least half the bartenders I know only do it on the side. I met my new insurance agent because she bartends on the side. Several teachers I know do it. Also several bank employees and hair stylists and real estate agents. Its a fun job for them and a good way to meet people.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:08 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,989,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungadow View Post
I was thinking that most of the parties and hedonism happen during college years in the US where I was broke as heck and trying to work two jobs while getting my degree, not much time for partying like a frat boy.

Now I was thinking where the 23-30 year old crowd that doesn't want to settle into family life and still has a lot of energy left for partying and going hard with the alcohol goes to in the US.

I want to avoid cities that are loaded with the goody two shoe types that preach family life and try to judge people for drinking and partying, this means the south and Utah are out of the question due to the religious fanatics.
You can party in the south. I'd bet some of the heaviest drinkers are in the south.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:51 PM

5,906 posts, read 6,542,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
for a lot but is Chicago even close to the largest destination for schools like PSU, Univ of MD, Rutgers? would think not as the EC cities (probably all 5) draw more than Chicago
We purists consider the Big Ten to have a footprint of the seven most solidly midwestern states: MN, IA, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH. PSU, Nebraska and certainly UMD and Rutgers donít feel Big Ten
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.