U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 12:01 PM

9,869 posts, read 21,164,049 times

Advertisements

I lived in Lexington KY about the same distance from Cincinnati and Louisville. Field trips were 50 50 to each. Only Cincinnati has top level pro sports and museums are a bit larger. Lexington is more culturally similar to Louisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 05:17 PM

56,749 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droc31 View Post
It's strange because Medina and Albion both play in Section VI (which covers greater Buffalo). Which means Albion plays schools like Wilson (Wilson in Niagara County not Wilson Magnet in Rochester), Iroquois, and Starpoint, (all >30 miles distance from Albion), yet doesn't compete against Holley, which is 7 miles east on Route 31. Albion and Holley districts actually border each other near the old Camp Fancher and Hickory Ridge Golf Course.
Good points and I think size is a factor in terms of Albion/Holley as well. A couple examples of Medina and Albion playing Buffalo area schools, even though both are in the Rochester area: https://orleanshub.com/purple-eagles-d-stymie-steelers/

https://orleanshub.com/mustangs-edge...-in-b2-opener/

Another example of this is with Batavia, where the schools play in Section 5(Rochester area schools), its Notre Dame HS is actually a part of the Buffalo Catholic Diocese.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:44 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,746,176 times
I've spent most of my life within reasonable distance of both Elmira and Ithaca. Does that count?

I prefer Elmira for my errands and Ithaca for when I feel like being judged by rich people and hyper liberals.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:51 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,346,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
This is a question for those people who live between two cities (not in the same metro area) that are close together. In other words, it is for people who have easy access to the two, close enough to both that one would expect you to access both.

Since I'm talking about cities being in two different metro areas, I am eliminating:

Bay Area (SF/Oak/SJ)

Twin Cities (Mpls/StP.....and, heck, there is nothing between the two; they touch)

Metroplex (Dal/FW)

I am including two that are so close they border on being one metro area but they are not quite like the 3 above so they deserve to be part of the conversation:

Baltimore/Washington

And I'm zeroing in on the following (although other examples may be found):

New York, Boston
New York, Philadelphia
Philadelphia, Baltimore
Chicago, Milwaukee
Tampa, Orlando
Los Angeles, San Diego
San Francisco, Sacramento

Questions:

In what ways do you use both cities?

What are you more inclined to do in one than the other?

Which of the two are you more oriented to? Is anyone out there oriented equally to both?

In what way do the two cities compliment each other by their different offerings?

Anything else relevant to living between two major cities
I live in the Baton Rouge metro area which isn't combined with the New Orleans area as a CSA though we border one another. For example I live in Livingston Parish which borders Tangipahoa Parish which is part of the NO area. I'm also originally from Metairie which is a close in suburb of New Orleans.

I do live closer to Baton Rouge and often work, eat, and socialize there though I do a lot in my immediate parish also. I do visit New Orleans a few times a year for the food and nightlife which obviously is a lot more exciting than Baton Rouge or my semi-rural area, though I wouldn't want to live in New Orleans or any of its inner suburbs again.

Now I DO have many friends in the greater New Orleans area that are NOT in the central city. I do visit Lake Pontchartrain in the summer, there are a lot of good hiking areas in St. Tammany Parish and I go out with friends quite frequently in Ponchatoula and Hammond. Also as many college students in Livingston Parish attend Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond (part of the NO area) as LSU. With morning traffic its easier to get to Hammond than to downtown Baton Rouge.

Ascension Parish has a lot of families where one person commutes to Baton Rouge and the other to New Orleans. Also the industrial corridor spans the NO and BR metro areas for example Geismar, Plaquemine, Port Allen are in the BR region while the same companies own petrochemical facilities in LaPlace, St. James etc which are in the New Orleans area.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:50 PM

9,444 posts, read 18,363,374 times
Albuquerque is a medium sized metro so when that doesn't cut the mustard the options are either a seven hour drive to Phoenix or a six hour drive up to Denver. Yeah we got very long distances out here. More often I end up going to Denver as I have good friends up there, and I find it just quite a bit more urban and entertaining. But Phoenix is good for warm weather when it gets too chilly at this altitude and there are surprisingly very good food options and great shopping in the area, and the nightlife options are pretty decent so I've made a handful of trips to the Valley (Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe) in the last few years as well. Overall I find Denver has a bit more to do. What's cool is these cities a very different animals so it's nice to have both within a days drive.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:53 PM

627 posts, read 1,027,391 times
The Piedmont Triad area of NC is a another example. The region lies between the high growth areas of Charlotte and The Triangle.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:10 PM

45,077 posts, read 36,285,285 times
I live one and a half hours from Dallas and two hours from Shreveport, LA (and three hours from Houston - which is more of a stretch).

I am very comfortable with the small city of Tyler, TX (metro area of around 250k). But we do go to Dallas probably once a month or so, and we go to Shreveport several times a year. Dallas for shopping and to see family and friends, and Shreveport for, well, basically for gambling and to see relatives occasionally. We don't gamble much so we don't go often for that - more for family a few times a year.

I have a lot more affinity for the Dallas/Fort Worth area than I do for Shreveport. For one thing, it's closer and we go more often. It's also a Texas metro area rather than a Louisiana one (and if you are familiar with both states, you know there's a totally different vibe for each state). Dallas seems cleaner, more sophisticated, less seedy than Shreveport, but it's also a lot larger and a lot more congested.

The demographics of each city are very different too. Dallas has a lot more of a Tex Mex feel to it and I prefer that vibe.

Dallas also has much better restaurants and shopping - like I said, it's a lot bigger than Shreveport.

Houston is a whole other animal. We only go to Houston about once a year - we have no family down there and really no close friends either, and anything we want we can find in Dallas or even Tyler. But Houston is closer to the coast, and it also has a more international feel to it, so it's nice for a change once in awhile.

Edit - to Tom Lennox - I am a Metairie native! Lots of relatives in New Orleans and Baton Rouge too. My family used to own the Joy Theater on Canal Street in fact! They also own Fluker's Farms in Baton Rouge - not sure if you've heard of them or not. Anyway, lots of roots in Louisiana and I am TOTALLY a Saints fan! GEAUX ,SAINTS! I have a New Orleans themed guest bathroom even - yes, it's gaudy - and I also always, always wear a white gold fleur de lis necklace with diamonds from my first wedding set, that my husband had custom made for me a few years ago. You can take the girl out of New Orleans but you can't take New Orleans out of the girl!

Old 12-27-2018, 11:21 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,346,555 times
Another thing about New Orleans is that people in Baton Rouge often use the New Orleans than Baton Rouge Metro Airport due to the cheaper airfares through Southwest Airlines and Allegiant (which don't serve BR) and the fact that there are many direct flights to many cities from New Orleans while all flights out of Baton Rouge require a connection in Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, or Charlotte.

Also being a New Orleans area native now living in the Baton Rouge exurbs (with 20 years in Maryland and West Virginia) I'll always love the NO area but now fit in better in Livingston but NO is a wonderful city. When I have friends visit me from out of state I always take them to New Orleans and the plantation country in places like St. Francisville and the swamps around Lafayette before Baton Rouge itself since BR isn't particularly touristy.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:42 AM

3,518 posts, read 3,971,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Agreed. The residential/commercial growth between Dayton and Cincinnati is so prevalent that the two cities may soon become one CSA, and possibly, later on, one MSA. The stretch of I-75 from Warsaw, KY to Tipp City, OH is often referred to as CIN-DAY. This tie-in between the two cities is easily visible in recent nighttime satellite photographs, such as the 2012 pix below:

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f...635d38a1_o.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Why do people keep saying this? OMB just re-drew MSA/CSA boundaries and no changes were made to Cincinnati or Dayton to link them together. So where is the evidence that they "may soon be" one MSA?
Area media releases confirm that both cities are actively cooperating in merger talks regarding a combined CSA, rather than an MSA. Such a new CSA designation may occur very soon, while an MSA designation will be further in the future.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:34 PM

3,037 posts, read 2,468,576 times
Would Lansing being about halfway in-between Detroit and Grand Rapids count? Or is the size differential between Detroit and Grand Rapids big enough that it would effect the dynamic unfairly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or