Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state(s)?
Virginia 20 12.42%
West Virginia 17 10.56%
Kentucky 11 6.83%
Tennessee 24 14.91%
North Carolina 20 12.42%
South Carolina 27 16.77%
Georgia 9 5.59%
Florida 8 4.97%
Alabama 29 18.01%
Mississippi 8 4.97%
Arkansas 10 6.21%
Louisiana 7 4.35%
Texas 12 7.45%
Oklahoma 4 2.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 05:19 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Jeez, you were always the most annoying forumer before and you still are. Not everything relates back to your own perspective and how it's the only one that can exist. I guess having to defend Atlanta on every comment made is a bit slow tonight. It looks as though you've formed a gang of some sort..... get back to it... chop chop... skedaddle.. shoo fly

So, so bitter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 05:22 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
So, so bitter...
lol, besides once again telling people that their "opinions" are wrong, do you actually have anything to contribute? I mean, you're just so obnoxiously annoying.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:30 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
lol, besides once again telling people that their "opinions" are wrong, do you actually have anything to contribute? I mean, you're just so obnoxiously annoying.

You didn't proffer an opinion, you just basically dismissed a place you aren't interested in. So pot, meet kettle.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You didn't proffer an opinion, you just basically dismissed a place you aren't interested in. So pot, meet kettle.
lol.. try rereading my comments, I didn't dismiss anything, I'm pertaining to the topic of underrated and my opinion on it. You do know this isn't a science right?

"don't" keep trying kiddo. again, shoo fly is all I got for ya

Old 12-18-2018, 07:10 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
I get ya.... we're on the same page except I think you're speaking to the outlier whereas I'm understanding of the perceptions of the general masses. I personally like taking trips to off the beaten cities with lots of random stuff to discover but I know that I'm an outlier myself in general when it comes to choosing places to visit. Also, unless one is into history alot will choose to overlook it even if it is one of the cities main draws. I know many who have not gone to Fort Sumter when visiting Charleston, I have but it's not their things nor are they interested. Unless it's a simple nearby trip, I know very few that would go out of their way to go to Winston-Salem thus imo not being either overrated/underrated. There clearly isn't that much of a draw to the city or tourism #'s would be much higher.
Oh I know the masses would generally be just fine limiting themselves to eating at the same chain restaurants, shopping at the same chain retailers, etc. But since we're discussing it here on C-D, I'm speaking from the perspective of those who are more interested in these types of things.

Quote:
Also, I think cities/states in general are rated appropriately from the get go. Alot of this stems from people's perceptions anyways and with the internet there is very little "hidden treasures" about a location in the US that hasn't been uncovered, it's just a matter of it being enough of an interest or unique enough to gain the interest of a larger sum of people.
This is a most subjective exercise as there are various ways of determining if a place is "rated appropriately" or not so it makes for an interesting discussion. And even with the internet, there are still a lot of interesting places that aren't widely known and a big reason for this is America's size; this country is huge with all kinds of places scattered about. A lot of people won't hear much of anything about some really cool places that are all the way on the other side of the country.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Oh I know the masses would generally be just fine limiting themselves to eating at the same chain restaurants, shopping at the same chain retailers, etc. But since we're discussing it here on C-D, I'm speaking from the perspective of those who are more interested in these types of things.
If that's the audience then I'd agree with you.

Quote:

This is a most subjective exercise as there are various ways of determining if a place is "rated appropriately" or not so it makes for an interesting discussion. And even with the internet, there are still a lot of interesting places that aren't widely known and a big reason for this is America's size; this country is huge with all kinds of places scattered about. A lot of people won't hear much of anything about some really cool places that are all the way on the other side of the country.
That's the thing though... if there was interest in general people would seek it out but due to lack of interest there is minimal discovery.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
That's the thing though... if there was interest in general people would seek it out but due to lack of interest there is minimal discovery.
Not necessarily. Think of cities that revitalized or grew their downtowns over time into true destinations and are often noted for such. It can take some time for the word to get out about such places.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily. Think of cities that revitalized or grew their downtowns over time into true destinations and are often noted for such. It can take some time for the word to get out about such places.
if enough interest exists it automatically become the next "it/boom" town or vacation hotspot...

Old 12-19-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
if enough interest exists it automatically become the next "it/boom" town or vacation hotspot...
True but it doesn't happen overnight.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:14 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.