Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state(s)?
Virginia 20 12.42%
West Virginia 17 10.56%
Kentucky 11 6.83%
Tennessee 24 14.91%
North Carolina 20 12.42%
South Carolina 27 16.77%
Georgia 9 5.59%
Florida 8 4.97%
Alabama 29 18.01%
Mississippi 8 4.97%
Arkansas 10 6.21%
Louisiana 7 4.35%
Texas 12 7.45%
Oklahoma 4 2.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 11:18 AM

37,796 posts, read 41,511,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
South Carolina for me. I think the state has some great cities, but annexation laws do not permit them to grow and expand, so on paper at least, they seem insignificant compared to other cities in other states. But areas like downtown Greenville, and Columbia are nice, vibrant places to be.
On this forum, most are aware that metro areas are a much better basis of comparison but among the masses, you would be correct. This is probably the best example of the pro-rural/anti-urban mindset that has prevailed throughout the state's history, and even today simple legislation that would make it easier for municipalities to annex "donut holes"--small areas of unincorporated territory completely surrounded by incorporated territory--doesn't get anywhere in the state legislature. And the state law governing city-type consolidations is better suited for smaller, more rural counties and essentially unworkable for the state's larger, urban counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 14 days ago)

5,750 posts, read 5,516,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I've spoken of Arkansas as underrated before but I don't recall the last time I did so and it's certainly not something I do with any regularity. I've been around these parts for a little while now so three times would barely count as occasional. I've probably spoken more about places within the state like NW Arkansas and Eureka Springs that seem underrated or don't get much coverage.
Damn, Brother Semantics is back lol. You know what I'm getting at and if you can't recall other occasions of people mentioning Arkansas in this light, that's fine. The point is that there's a documented admiration and appraisal of Arkansas on here, a crowd of which you belong to...

Old 12-17-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Damn, Brother Semantics is back lol. You know what I'm getting at and if you can't recall other occasions of people mentioning Arkansas in this light, that's fine. The point is that there's a documented admiration and appraisal of Arkansas on here, a crowd of which you belong to...
No more than any other state really; it's not even the most mentioned state in this thread but you're more attentive to mentions of Arkansas due to how strongly you disagree with the sentiment.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:43 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,661,189 times
Quote:

Let me put in a little plug for Columbia since you didn't mention it--which also plays into SC's "underratedness." Columbia can be somewhat easy to overlook in a state where the coast plays the leading role in terms of tourism/image, it isn't as defined geographically compared to Greenville in the foothills and the coastal cities, and its downtown isn't as compact, but it definitely has a few things working in its favor. It's home to the state's number one tourist attraction, Riverbanks Zoo which punches well above its weight considering the fact that it's a locally-owned zoo in a small/midsized Southern city. The SC Statehouse grounds lie in the center of the city and are very nice and well-maintained, functioning as an urban park of sorts. Main Street is on the upswing in a big way with impressive levels of after hours and weekend activity compared to just a few years ago. And there are several recreational opportunities available right in the heart of the city along its three rivers. Columbia needs to do a better job of tying all of its amenities together in a way that makes it more marketable as well as accelerate more recreational riverfront development, but it certainly has more than meets the eye.

I'll also throw in towns like Beaufort, Aiken, Camden, and Cheraw that are quite nice.
hmmm, does a nice zoo for it's size really make a place underrated? Everything else you noted sounds very basic. Underrated must have a 100 different meanings from reading this thread.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
hmmm, does a nice zoo for it's size really make a place underrated? Everything else you noted sounds very basic. Underrated must have a 100 different meanings from reading this thread.
That wasn't an exhaustive list and I was giving some of the pros for one city (that wasn't mentioned by that particular poster) in a state considered underrated. That's the bigger picture here.

And of course "underrated" will mean different things to different people. That's a given.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
That wasn't an exhaustive list and I was giving some of the pros for one city (that wasn't mentioned by that particular poster) in a state considered underrated. That's the bigger picture here.

And of course "underrated" will mean different things to different people. That's a given.
Alot of what people are listing just seems so basic or comparable to what other places have. Most don't seem very underrated imo.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Alot of what people are listing just seems so basic or comparable to what other places have. Most don't seem very underrated imo.
It depends on one's perspective. I tend not to think of either of the Carolinas as underrated but that may be because I know them pretty well. And as far as the list of pros of Columbia that I gave, it has to be considered in combination with the rest of what the state offers. EVERY attribute of a state can't be unique, but the combination of its attributes is what makes it stand apart to some degree.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:18 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,927,002 times
Quote:
Riverbanks Zoo
Congaree National Park
Three Rivers (Broad, Congaree, Saluda) with rapids
USCs presence in downtown with SEC Football
Edventure
Two HBCUs (Allen and Benedict)

Just a few things off the top of my head. Seems pretty underrated to me, as it offers unique things that other cities may not possess in the Carolinas .

Old 12-18-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Riverbanks Zoo
Congaree National Park
Three Rivers (Broad, Congaree, Saluda) with rapids
USCs presence in downtown with SEC Football
Edventure
Two HBCUs (Allen and Benedict)

Just a few things off the top of my head. Seems pretty underrated to me, as it offers unique things that other cities may not possess in the Carolinas .
I've never been to Columbia (technically driven through once but that doesn't really count) but the above doesn't sound underrated to me nor very unique but again this is just my perspective. The attributes sound like general items that many cities have. I did some street views on google maps and the city looks pretty vacant with lots of parking and empty lots but with good bones for lots of infill opportunities. The cities that seem to punch above their belt in the Carolinas like Raleigh, Asheville and Charleston seem to get the recognition they deserve.

Last edited by Ebck120; 12-18-2018 at 08:06 AM..

Old 12-18-2018, 08:38 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,206,244 times
I voted South Carolina.

It tends to get its due with Charleston--which is a phenomenal smaller city that offers world class dining and bars. However, both Columbia and Greenville are incredible, vibrant growing cities with major redevelopments happening in their downtowns, which are both thriving and dynamic. Columbia has a little further to go, but it's a fun city with a lot happening. The northern mountains and lakes offer tons of hiking and outdoor activities, while the coastline of SC is breathtaking with amazing beaches.

Aside from the coast, I don't think many people realize what a beautiful state it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.