U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 04:21 PM

30 posts, read 19,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Maybe, just maybe, some of the people were there for an education. I actually have noted a diminishing enthusiasm for constant boozing and party life from when I went to school (with Socrates). Not just the college culture but society in general.
Yeah I am starting to wonder now if the college experience itself as a whole has just died down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 08:57 AM

6,960 posts, read 14,089,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungadow View Post
Yeah I am starting to wonder now if the college experience itself as a whole has just died down.
I don't think the college experience has died down, but with so many more people going to college, it's a lot more challenging to get good grades. And, as a millennial myself, I know we're all terrified of ever being able to have a comfortable lifestyle because nobody wants to pay us a livable wage and our debts are skyrocketing daily. So, we do focus on our studies in order to get good grades so we can get a good job so we can maybe actually afford rent one day.

Back when party life may have been more prominent on college campuses, as long as you had a degree, you could get a job, pay rent, save up for a house, and start a family. Those people now turn around, make a profit off young people going to college, raise rents nationwide, caused a housing shortage, stagnated wages, and made being alive prohibitively expensive after they waltzed through life.

Also, back then, people could hold part-time jobs to help pay for rent and tuition. Part-time jobs nowadays function to basically just keep students from starving to death. They don't come close to paying rent or tuition. Therefore, college students back in the day had more disposable income to spend on alcohol. Today's college students barely have any money to spend on anything.

Along with that, the little money that college students do have left, or money their parents support them with, often goes to traveling. Younger generations are less materialistic and more interested in experiences. We love to travel. Dropping all that non-existent money on cheap beer, or saving for a vacation? Many would choose saving for a vacation or asking their parents to help pay for a trip somewhere, rather than asking for spending money to be used on cheap beer while in school.

Basically, it's a cultural shift on two fronts. 1) College is more competitive. 2) The partiers from back in the day ruined the financial health of the youngest generations so we literally don't even have the money to party like they did because they waltzed through life doing whatever they pleased to benefit themselves without caring about how it would ruin future generations and then blame our generations for ruining the world because they take responsibility for anything they did.

Old 12-21-2018, 03:44 AM

929 posts, read 395,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I don't think the college experience has died down, but with so many more people going to college, it's a lot more challenging to get good grades. And, as a millennial myself, I know we're all terrified of ever being able to have a comfortable lifestyle because nobody wants to pay us a livable wage and our debts are skyrocketing daily. So, we do focus on our studies in order to get good grades so we can get a good job so we can maybe actually afford rent one day.

Back when party life may have been more prominent on college campuses, as long as you had a degree, you could get a job, pay rent, save up for a house, and start a family. Those people now turn around, make a profit off young people going to college, raise rents nationwide, caused a housing shortage, stagnated wages, and made being alive prohibitively expensive after they waltzed through life.

Also, back then, people could hold part-time jobs to help pay for rent and tuition. Part-time jobs nowadays function to basically just keep students from starving to death. They don't come close to paying rent or tuition. Therefore, college students back in the day had more disposable income to spend on alcohol. Today's college students barely have any money to spend on anything.

Along with that, the little money that college students do have left, or money their parents support them with, often goes to traveling. Younger generations are less materialistic and more interested in experiences. We love to travel. Dropping all that non-existent money on cheap beer, or saving for a vacation? Many would choose saving for a vacation or asking their parents to help pay for a trip somewhere, rather than asking for spending money to be used on cheap beer while in school.

Basically, it's a cultural shift on two fronts. 1) College is more competitive. 2) The partiers from back in the day ruined the financial health of the youngest generations so we literally don't even have the money to party like they did because they waltzed through life doing whatever they pleased to benefit themselves without caring about how it would ruin future generations and then blame our generations for ruining the world because they take responsibility for anything they did.
I was born in 1980 so Iím in that weird space between Gen X and Millenials (although generation divisions have always seemed a little arbitrary to me.) In any case I went to college between 1998 and 2002 and visited friends in other colleges during those years, so I have a pretty good perspective on the college landscape during that time. The college party culture was still going very strong. Perhaps not quite to the level of the 80s, but people seemed to drink everywhere all the time and constantly be getting hammered.

Incidentally, I graduated from undergrad in 2002 in the midst of a recession and then got my grad degree in 2009, in the midst of an even worse recession. In other words, folks around my age partied pretty hard and had to deal with a competitive, difficult job market as well..

Old 12-21-2018, 03:59 AM

1,248 posts, read 718,341 times
You should be going to college to work on getting your degree so you can get a decent job after. After all, thousands of dollars is being spent to go there. You have your whole life to be an alcoholic. You don't need college for that.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:22 AM

23,059 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
You have your whole life to be an alcoholic. You don't need college for that.
But a crash course in Binge Drinking is a great lead-in!

Old 12-21-2018, 05:58 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,015,925 times
Everyone is responding to a thread, created by someone who is no longer a member.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:51 AM

23,059 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Everyone is responding to a thread, created by someone who is no longer a member.
Is their presence required in order to discuss the topic?

Old 12-21-2018, 04:25 PM

52 posts, read 25,078 times
Quote:
Currently a freshman in college, it has definitely not died down.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:58 PM

3,667 posts, read 8,769,891 times
Quote:
So it could have just been an issue for me because I went to school in the south. Despite my school have a "party school" reputation, I found that it was actually quite dry and full of the morally self-righteous goody two shoe types. Unless you paid to join a fraternity and be in Greek Life, it was really tough to make friends with people that wanted to drink, party hard and live that "college experience" lifestyle. I actually found that a lot of the people I met on campus felt they were above that, looked down on it and were really attached to being holier than thou. Think it might just be a southern thing or a thing with some southern states though.

I have to ask, where in the US does one make friends that are more inclined to drinking and partying on weekdays or have a lot more adrenaline in them as opposed to the uptight religious types?
Do you mean after you graduate college? I'm taking your question as that.

If that's what you mean, then Boston, New York City, Chicago and Seattle are definitely tops in that category. As-a-matter-of-fact, NYC specifically has many bars and night spots, underground clubs, that have their much, much "hotter nights" on any night except Friday or Saturday.

But, if you are referring to college, Arizona State is HUGE for partyers (I went to U of A--it was there too, but not like ASU as much). Go to UCLA, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, pretty much any major big school in the country and you'll find a lot of partying folks not associated with frats.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:38 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,654,843 times
Quote:
getting drunk and partying isn't a college experience.... it's a someone in their 20s experience... go where lots of early 20s people are and you find the scene. if you can't find it in college, you are hanging out with people not in the right age group
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or