U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 09:46 AM

5,705 posts, read 5,098,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
This is true. They're the ones who mommy and daddy told them how awesome and special they are so a lot (not all) have an overinflated sense of importance. It's very annoying but there's also people in DC who are super chill so it's not everyone.

OP - to answer the question, the usual: Boston, NYC, DC, San Fran, etc. But it'll be interesting to see if this changes as these places become more and more expensive.
I wouldn't include Boston. Its an amazing city, but I don't think college grads flock there en mass like NYC or LA. Boston has a ton of colleges in town so probably a high retention rate though.

50% of everyone I know from college (they are from all over the country) ended up in NYC, at least for their first few years after school. Boston is more of a second stop once people become realistic about their career/ living situations (because NYC is unrealistic for a lot of people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 04:19 PM

30 posts, read 19,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
That's a massive spectrum of people, despite the specificity of those traits you mentioned.

I'm from what I like to call a "white collar incubator" area, upper class as you would put it, and my old connections are all over the place. Many of the brilliant uber achievers are in ivy leagues for their advanced degrees, some have moved to major cities with their baccalaureate and found jobs in their fields, some are scattered all over the world, from Central America to the Caucasian steppes to rural Alaska, some are pursuing artistic careers in various east coast cities... most stay generally within the regional sphere (within the northeast, somewhat near home), although a few have left. It whirls my mind to reflect on how we all used to be children, gathered together in a school, sitting next to each other, and how we have bloomed to all corners of the world. I do take a small comfort in my state's general retention (see: people don't leave) of its residents. Many of us are still near each other, which is pleasant.

I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but the point I'm reaching is that there is no one upper class mold. They are incredibly diverse in their experiences, allowed for in no small part by their privileged background.

Forgive me if this comes off as rude (not what I intend), but it sounds as if you're looking for a 'good ol boy' network? Frat brothers that remain in contact via a network and sometimes help each other advance their careers? Even in those groups I don't think they remain geographically near. Many scatter to whatever life path they choose. However, I think paytonc had a good point with DC. If you're looking for some uber competitive arena for the privileged, DC would be the place. However any major city you'll find the 'elite' duking it out. It's not a matter of location, rather, it is all about if you are noteworthy/skilled/well-connected enough to join their circles.

Despite our differing tastes, you and I are in a vaguely similar situation of trying to find places where we fit in during our 20s. I've deliberated over several locations for years, but in the end I think the city you choose is merely the bare parameters, and from there you build up the life you want. Essentially, the onus falls upon us and not the city. That is my platitude for the day- you probably already knew it. Good luck, wherever you choose.

In short: DC, NYC, LA, etc. Big hitter cities.

EDIT: Upon reading your other thread... why not Miami? You want parties, after all. I'm not quite sure what you're looking for- the party kids? The high achievers? Some combo of both?
Repp'd!

I grew up poor and was one of few kids to go to a decent school, luck had a big role in it. After it I went off to college to find a rather cliquish frat crowd. Now I am done with college and looking to expand my social circle with others in their 20s in a similar situation in big cities.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:24 PM

423 posts, read 185,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungadow View Post
Repp'd!

I grew up poor and was one of few kids to go to a decent school, luck had a big role in it. After it I went off to college to find a rather cliquish frat crowd. Now I am done with college and looking to expand my social circle with others in their 20s in a similar situation in big cities.
Might I ask, why do you seek these people? Do you wish to live as they live? Sort of an 'ideal' to look up to?

I ask because I have actually been chasing a certain crowd of people as well. I obsessed over being in the circle of indie artists, including looking for cities where I could join their ranks. While I find there is a healthy motivation to glean from it, I also find such idolization to be quite toxic. But maybe that is just me.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:53 AM

2,767 posts, read 1,130,482 times
Tech: San Francisco, Seattle (Google, FaceBook, Microsoft, Tesla, etc.)
Finance: New York, Chicago (Goldman Sachs, Citadel, JP Morgan, etc.)
Politics: DC, New York (CIA, UN, DOD)

The "ivy leaguers" I know move tend move between these companies/organizations, and cities. I know someone who was recruited by the CIA at Yale, and then cashed out on some biotech deal after graduation. Someone I knew from high school went to MIT for engineering, but now works on Wall St. doing quantitative finance. They move around, but it they are always where the action is.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Might I ask, why do you seek these people? Do you wish to live as they live? Sort of an 'ideal' to look up to?

I ask because I have actually been chasing a certain crowd of people as well. I obsessed over being in the circle of indie artists, including looking for cities where I could join their ranks. While I find there is a healthy motivation to glean from it, I also find such idolization to be quite toxic. But maybe that is just me.
I really just want a lot of friends near my age who went to college, not necessarily the ivy league crowd but friends who went through a lot of the same situations with getting a college degree and moving to a big city after college. A lot of people in a similar situation as me pretty much and the chance to really expand my social circle.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:48 AM

423 posts, read 185,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungadow View Post
I really just want a lot of friends near my age who went to college, not necessarily the ivy league crowd but friends who went through a lot of the same situations with getting a college degree and moving to a big city after college. A lot of people in a similar situation as me pretty much and the chance to really expand my social circle.
I wish you the best. With that criteria, you could practically leap into any big city and find them. Very few cities are old, demographically speaking, and many people in our generation have attained baccalaureates (even if they don't always make use of them).

One thing that may help is picking a city where your chosen field is strong. You'll have an easier time bonding with those people.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I wish you the best. With that criteria, you could practically leap into any big city and find them. Very few cities are old, demographically speaking, and many people in our generation have attained baccalaureates (even if they don't always make use of them).

One thing that may help is picking a city where your chosen field is strong. You'll have an easier time bonding with those people.
I feel like some cities are very traditional and have a heavily traditional swing to them meaning you get folks right out of college marrying by the age of 25 so ideally I'd like to be around more people who are 28 with the mindset of a 21 or 22 year old to some degree regarding social life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.