U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 03:21 PM

52 posts, read 25,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not sure if that's supposed to be a snotty remark or not. If so, clearly you're not familiar with cities in general. I have seen many white collar workers on buses in NYC and DC for example as many better neighborhoods while central core aren't necessarily convenient to rail stops or conducive to owning a car.
That's exactly the point they made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 08:25 AM

4,872 posts, read 3,000,080 times
Midwest....

Old 12-16-2018, 10:34 AM

1,428 posts, read 2,099,711 times
Richmond Va. It, and weather, are why I moved here. I don't miss Boston.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:20 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,683,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not sure if that's supposed to be a snotty remark or not. If so, clearly you're not familiar with cities in general. I have seen many white collar workers on buses in NYC and DC for example as many better neighborhoods while central core aren't necessarily convenient to rail stops or conducive to owning a car.
It's easier to take comments at face value rather than trying to imagine some sort of opposite meaning.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:03 PM

1,220 posts, read 604,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Richmond Va. It, and weather, are why I moved here. I don't miss Boston.
I disagree. Richmond city downtown sucks. It’s trying to get better but it’s not keeping up with other cities it’s size like Nashville. The public transportation is getting better but that’s because it was basically nonexistent before. The only shopping is Willow Lawn which is ok. We’re starting to get acknowledged by some entertainers like Chris Rock and Steve Martin/ Martin Short came here. After work / school everybody leaves to go home to the counties. I’ll give Richmond some credit for umm our marathons and food trucks.
These are things I think of when I imagine an urban city. Alexandria is more urban in my opinion even without DC.
Excuse me I forgot to add Carytown. Which is the best part of Richmond.

Last edited by Va83; 12-17-2018 at 12:17 AM..

Old 12-17-2018, 06:47 AM

503 posts, read 333,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I disagree. Richmond city downtown sucks. Itís trying to get better but itís not keeping up with other cities itís size like Nashville. The public transportation is getting better but thatís because it was basically nonexistent before. The only shopping is Willow Lawn which is ok. Weíre starting to get acknowledged by some entertainers like Chris Rock and Steve Martin/ Martin Short came here. After work / school everybody leaves to go home to the counties. Iíll give Richmond some credit for umm our marathons and food trucks.
These are things I think of when I imagine an urban city. Alexandria is more urban in my opinion even without DC.
Excuse me I forgot to add Carytown. Which is the best part of Richmond.
Do you realize how much larger Nashville is than Richmond??? Richmond does a fine job of keeping up with cities its size. Nearly the entire stretch of Broad Street from 18th street to maybe 5th street has been completely rehabbed in the last 5/10 years including performance venues(center stage, bringing back the National), hotels(Quirk etc), rooftop bars and business/boutiques and restaurants. Cary Town is packed most days after work hours. The city just added the pulse BRT. You have to actually compare Richmond to cities its size, not a city that is twice as large and currently smack in the middle of a boom.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:56 AM

9,949 posts, read 6,895,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
smaller than the ones you mentioned, but very urban due to its location on an isthmus is Madison...which is a fantastic city, home to both the state capital and the Univ of Wisconsin. Very progressive city in a beautiful setting. Its downtown core is particularly dense, set between two lakes.

If Madison had the type of climate that people thought inviting, it probably would be a lot bigger than Austin is today.

I have to agree. Each time I visit Madison It seems to me to be out of place......in the industrial Midwest. Very attractive city and very dense central area. It could be the Austin of the Midwest eventually. Small metro, however.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:36 AM

1,220 posts, read 604,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Do you realize how much larger Nashville is than Richmond??? Richmond does a fine job of keeping up with cities its size. Nearly the entire stretch of Broad Street from 18th street to maybe 5th street has been completely rehabbed in the last 5/10 years including performance venues(center stage, bringing back the National), hotels(Quirk etc), rooftop bars and business/boutiques and restaurants. Cary Town is packed most days after work hours. The city just added the pulse BRT. You have to actually compare Richmond to cities its size, not a city that is twice as large and currently smack in the middle of a boom.
Youíre right. It seems Richmond is more comparable to Chattanooga than Nashville. I still donít find it urban but maybe Iím confusing urban and upper tier cities. Cincinnati seems urban to me.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:38 AM

56,741 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some specific places in this regard that come to mind are the Albany-Schenectady-Troy NY area cities, Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, Lancaster, York and Harrisburg in PA. All have rowhouse neighborhoods.
A nice example from this city's 7th Street neighborhood: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6112...6!9m2!1b1!2i37
http://www.7thstreetallentown.org/

From the city's more middle class West End Theater District: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6037...6!9m2!1b1!2i37
Census Tract 002201 in Lehigh County, Pennsylvania
https://www.discoverlehighvalley.com...district/2977/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-17-2018 at 12:36 PM..

Old 12-17-2018, 12:30 PM

4,872 posts, read 3,000,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I swear I should move to PHilly. Wife would kill me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or